Options

Education In UK Soaps

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,569
Forum Member
✭✭
Why do we rarely see Schools or Universities in UK Soaps? I dont watch Hollyoaks or Emmerdale/Corrie regularly but EastEnders for example never feature scenes in schools or Universities.

For example Johnny Carter in EastEnders is at Uni but we never see him there? In Aussie Soaps they film scenes in Schools and Universities- why not in UK Soaps?

Comments

• Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Why do we rarely see Schools or Universities in UK Soaps? I dont watch Hollyoaks or Emmerdale/Corrie regularly but EastEnders for example never feature scenes in schools or Universities.

For example Johnny Carter in EastEnders is at Uni but we never see him there? In Aussie Soaps they film scenes in Schools and Universities- why not in UK Soaps?

In hollyoaks they used to feature a lot more esp when they had the uni as the main focus but they have three teachers, a head and a no of students in the cast at the mo.

I assume costs will be a feature of why ED, Corrie and EE dont really feature schools. For continuity they would have to ensure the same extras were available which would cost
  • Options
    vanessalouvanessalou Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because children in soaps rarely go to school, so it's not worth the bother of filming in one. The last time a remember a scene in a school was in Eastenders when Phil turned up drunk with his big bag of cash and managed to get in to Louise's school and miraculously find her, then he collapsed.
  • Options
    Dax_5Dax_5 Posts: 4,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    In hollyoaks they used to feature a lot more esp when they had the uni as the main focus but they have three teachers, a head and a no of students in the cast at the mo.

There's four teachers :P (Louis, JP, Nancy and Courtney is a teacher)
  • Options
    Corrie_Fan2Corrie_Fan2 Posts: 1,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because they don't forward plan enough to have school scenes filmed regularly.

They'd probably need to use the Waterloo Road approach and film all the school scenes over the holidays, which means they'd need to know what school scenes they needed for entire half terms or even academic years.
  • Options
    cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    You never see ED kids at school, but you used to see them coming back on the bus in their uniforms a lot more than you do now. Probably because there's hardly any kids of school age - only Noah and Jacob and Gabby that I can think of, and they hardly feature these days. All the rest of the kids are primary age little 'uns or babies.

It is a shame though, I liked it when Noah and Jacob hung around together being naughty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xItzDannyx wrote: »
    There's four teachers :P (Louis, JP, Nancy and Courtney is a teacher)

Oh yeah forgot her cos she is so bloody annoying and you really wouldnt think she was a science teacher!

Tho Nancy is missing so I am right with three :p
  • Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »

We hardly ever see Johnny on the Square, let alone at university.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    We hardly ever see Johnny on the Square, let alone at university.

Thank the lord for small mercies :D
  • Options
    GlendarrochGlendarroch Posts: 20,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of us break into a run just passing our old schools. We don't want to see inside one again:D

The focus in UK soaps is really on the adults and there are not many school age teens ( at least in ED and CS). To film school scenes they would have to have new sets, new characters and extras - is it worth it for the odd scene? I think it would be easier to integrate a university , FE college or in ED' s case an agricultural college perhaps? Moira could have students on placements on the farm for instance. There's s also no reason that all of the soaps couldn't t have young adults going to college or university but doing a lot of their studying from home and having part time jobs locally so they can still interact a lot with locals. Towns like Weatherfield and Hotten would have a college and perhaps a university.