Options

Car Insurance after accident

BerBer Posts: 24,562
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am a named driver on my husbands policy for his car and he is a named driver on my policy for my car.

A while back I was rear-ended whilst driving his car, the other persons insurance accepted full liability and dealt with repairs, etc.

My question is to do with declaring the accident when renewing our policies - when I renew my insurance on my car would I have to declare having had an accident driving a different vehicle as a named driver and likewise would my husband have to declare that I had an accident in his car?

Comments

• Options
    charger21charger21 Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would think you'd still have to declare it. Look at it another way, if you only had 1 car then traded it in you couldn't walk away from claims on previous cars, you'd still have to declare them on new car
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    I am a named driver on my husbands policy for his car and he is a named driver on my policy for my car.

A while back I was rear-ended whilst driving his car, the other persons insurance accepted full liability and dealt with repairs, etc.

My question is to do with declaring the accident when renewing our policies - when I renew my insurance on my car would I have to declare having had an accident driving a different vehicle as a named driver and likewise would my husband have to declare that I had an accident in his car?
    Hi,

Yes, the question asked is something like, " have you had any accident, regardless of blame in the last 5 years"?
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...I was rear-ended whilst driving his car...

Fnar! Takes all sorts!!! :D

I'll get me coat...
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member

Yes, you do have to declare it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes, the question asked is something like, " have you had any accident, regardless of blame in the last 5 years"?
    lemonbun wrote: »
    Yes, you do have to declare it.

Where I'm getting stuck is the next question:

Who was driving?

Me (policy holder)
    Other

It was me driving but I'm not the policy holder :confused: other implies another person was driving.

And, would my own NCD be affected?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Who was driving?

Me (policy holder)
    Other

It was me driving but I'm not the policy holder :confused: other implies another person was driving.

Are you trying to fill in an on-line insurance search? If so, anything slightly complicated does not work.

It is best to ring up individual insurance companies or ring up an insurance broker.

Insurance brokers went out of fashion a few years ago with the growth of online compare sites, but they are brilliant when you are not a typical case and find far cheaper insurance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you trying to fill in an on-line insurance search? If so, anything slightly complicated does not work.

It is best to ring up individual insurance companies or ring up an insurance broker.

Insurance brokers went out of fashion a few years ago with the growth of online compare sites, but they are brilliant when you are not a typical case and find far cheaper insurance.

Yes, I was - I remember the faff years back sorting insurance before meerkats et al existed :(

I guess first port of call is to notify my current insurer and see what they say.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I was - I remember the faff years back sorting insurance before meerkats et al existed :(

I guess first port of call is to notify my current insurer and see what they say.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I'll PM you the details of the broker I use. They are based over 300 miles from me, but were recommended when I needed insurance that the online ones couldn't provide (insuring a second house). I've now used them for 6 years and they find the cheapest quote for everything.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Fnar! Takes all sorts!!! :D

I'll get me coat...

A third..

Of the Grand Tour
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll PM you the details of the broker I use. They are based over 300 miles from me, but were recommended when I needed insurance that the online ones couldn't provide (insuring a second house). I've now used them for 6 years and they find the cheapest quote for everything.

Great, thanks. :)

Have told my current insurers and they said it won't affect my no claims and shouldn't affect my renewal quote
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A while back I was rear-ended whilst driving his car

You can at least expect 3 points and £85 for driving without due care and attention.
    If you were using your mobile at the same time you're doing time baby 👹
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was rear-ended a few years ago at traffic lights which resulted in my car being written off (but no injury despite the ambulance-chasing lawyers encouraging me to claim). My NCD wasn't affected despite it being unprotected.

If you are hit from behind while stationary then there usually isn't any debate over who is at fault and it tends to be a simple claim to process.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who was driving?

Me (policy holder)
    Other

The answer is you were driving so answer as you

Are you doing a quote for insurance in your name? As in for your car and you will be the policyholder? Thats what it means there, its not asking if you were the policyholder for the car you were driving at the time.
  • Options
    srpsrpsrpsrp Posts: 1,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why would NCD be effected if you did not claim ? I think half of the question they ask are so that they can claim you did not tell the whole truth and wriggle out of paying a claim. Best just to answer truthfully.

I wouldn't bother with a broker, it's just going to be another middle man. Uswitch lets you tweak and try as many times as you like so you can see if you are being charged more by trying a quote with out the accident on it. For example some companies will charge extra if you have had any accident even if non blame, but a lot won't. I managed to find a company that did not charge more because I'm unemployed and also allowed monthly payments for the same total cost.
  • Options
    19carlymarie8819carlymarie88 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I was rear-ended last November on the M25 by a lorry! Car was a write off and I had minimal injuries....sore back and headaches etc. nothing too major.

I was stationary waiting to go onto the sliproad and they admitted full liability so you would think it was a simple open/shut case.

I have put in a claim against them as I was unable to work and lost earnings but I also found out a few months ago that they have bumped my insurance claim and haven't paid the full bill!!! Apparently I shouldn't have taken the courtesy car from my insurance company, I could have paid for a hire car and then billed the 3rd party for it! I went mental when I heard this....I told them I couldn't afford a hire car (was still paying the loan on the car they wrote off for a start!) and why would I get a hire car when a courtesy car comes with my insurance!

This is over a year later and its now going to court to recover the costs!

however I digress.......you need to declare the accident regardless, as it wasn't your fault you wont lose your NCD and the quotes in theory shouldn't go up. I had to declare mine when I was put as a named driver on my OH's car too but it made no difference. I would ring up a few insurance companies if need be and confirm that you weren't the main policy holder on the vehicle at the time of the accident.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you named drivers on each person's insurance? Your insurance should allow you to drive any other car right?

Regardless, you would have to declare the accident but it wouldn't effect your NCD as you are claiming against your husband's insurance, not yours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you named drivers on each person's insurance? Your insurance should allow you to drive any other car right?

Because the premiums worked out cheaper that way - not quite sure how that works tbh :)
  • Options
    rhubarb_101rhubarb_101 Posts: 375
    Forum Member

Regardless, you would have to declare the accident but it wouldn't effect your NCD as you are claiming against your husband's insurance, not yours.

If you drive another car on your own insurance, you would only be covered 3rd party I believe. If you're a named driver on a policy, wouldn't you have the same level of cover as the main driver - I assume fully comp? So if you stuff it into a tree, you're covered.

I could be wrong....
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    If you drive another car on your own insurance, you would only be covered 3rd party I believe. If you're a named driver on a policy, wouldn't you have the same level of cover as the main driver - I assume fully comp? So if you stuff it into a tree, you're covered.

I could be wrong....

You are perfectly correct.
  • Options
    KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most insurance policies DO NOT allow you to drive other vehicles unless they are specifically mentioned. In the past, fully comprehensive policies would cover you to drive a car that you did not own with 3rd party cover. Many drivers are still under the misapprehension that they still have this kind of cover.
  • Options
    YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    KennedyC wrote: »
    Most insurance policies DO NOT allow you to drive other vehicles unless they are specifically mentioned. In the past, fully comprehensive policies would cover you to drive a car that you did not own with 3rd party cover. Many drivers are still under the misapprehension that they still have this kind of cover.

Well, I don't have "most" insurance policies but my current AA policy certainly does provide me with third party cover for driving unspecified other vehicles and, to the best of my recollection, my previous policies over the last few years did too. Perhaps it's an age-related restriction?

Anyway, without getting into a debate about it, rhubarb was right to point out that the benefit of being a named driver on a policy is that the cover provided mirrors that of the policyholder, so damage to the insured vehicle is also covered (if it's a comprehensive policy of course).
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennedyC wrote: »
    Most insurance policies DO NOT allow you to drive other vehicles unless they are specifically mentioned.
    It's now a standard requirement that the other car is insured on another policy but I've never had a fully comp policy that didn't allow that and I change insurers frequently.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    It's now a standard requirement that the other car is insured on another policy but I've never had a fully comp policy that didn't allow that and I change insurers frequently.

Thats because people were using it to get cars released from the pound after they had been taken by the police!