Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

Comments

• mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially Tess.... Haven't read all of them. I gave up after reading Far from the Madding Crowd. :o

Is that the one where even the sheep have too much and leap off a cliff? :D
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    I take it that information is unlikely to be accurate?
    Whatever else it may be it that information is a spoiler and while it is too late for me I kindly ask that you remove it for the benefit of others.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    Whatever else it may be it that information is a spoiler and while it is too late for me I kindly ask that you remove it for the benefit of others.

I'm so sorry :o I have deleted my post.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,507
    Forum Member
    Thanks.
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the possible peado ring camp. I think that whatever is going on in that town that the vicar, the police woman's husband, the dad's work partner & the 'postman' are all involved.

I think Tom is also being abused but that he has been so brainwashed that he accepts it as normal now.

As for Pauline Quirk, I think she was renting the hut to the 'ring' & receiving payment for doing so but that she only had suspicions of what was taking place there.

What makes me think all this? No solid evidence really, just a gut feeling since episode 1.

I too am totally frustrated by the seeming lack of actual policework & detection being done. Please remind me NEVER to get murdered in a small seaside town since all normal police process of investigation seems to be being completely ignored!

I'm really enjoying Broadchurch, I just think it would have been better as a 8 parter series that was on every night for 8 nights.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in the possible peado ring camp. I think that whatever is going on in that town that the vicar, the police woman's husband, the dad's work partner & the 'postman' are all involved.

I think Tom is also being abused but that he has been so brainwashed that he accepts it as normal now.

As for Pauline Quirk, I think she was renting the hut to the 'ring' & receiving payment for doing so but that she only had suspicions of what was taking place there.

What makes me think all this? No solid evidence really, just a gut feeling since episode 1.

I too am totally frustrated by the seeming lack of actual policework & detection being done. Please remind me NEVER to get murdered in a small seaside town since all normal police process of investigation seems to be being completely ignored!

I'm really enjoying Broadchurch, I just think it would have been better as a 8 parter series that was on every night for 8 nights.

I wouldn't want you to ever get murdered never mind remind you.
  • NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sw2963 wrote: »
    I wouldn't want you to ever get murdered never mind remind you.

Thank you, me neither...but if I did I just hope it's somewhere where they have a CSI team & solve it in an hour :D
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    Will Mellor is very good in this, isn't he?

Pauline Quirke is fantastic, too. She plays "menace" so we'll! I remember her as a child murderer in The Bill, but am trying to remember that brilliant show she was in as a psychopathic prison inmate?
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    Is that the one where even the sheep have too much and leap off a cliff? :D

Hahaha. Yes, even sheep couldn't escape their miserable fate penned by Hardy. He had them leap of a cliff aided by a sheep dog...an inexperienced one at that.
  • zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's what I thought, but I think she may end up finding something out by accident.

I don't think he's dying, I think he has a permanent condition and doesn't want people finding out because they won't trust him to do his job.

I don't think it's a child abuse ring like people are saying, because in the first episode when they found the body, they said it wasn't a sexual assault. I still think the weird cleaning lady did it to cover up something else TBH.

thanks for the clarity... I too think the cleaning woman, has a involvement, and it could be a sinister one at that..
  • SuddenEliteSuddenElite Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    Andy-B wrote: »
    You must be over the moon with the last couple of years, then.
    Sorry ;)

I'm a local newspaper man by trade and am as appalled by the behaviour of the national press as everyone else. Their macho, expose-at-all-costs, devil-may-care attitude to the people they focus on ultimately tarnishes us all with the same brush however much my colleagues / peers and I in local media try to do what's right for our communities.

I hope Broadchurch manages to distinguish between bully-boy tactics of the nationals and the genuinely care-about-their-community local paper.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    I'm a local newspaper man by trade and am as appalled by the behaviour of the national press as everyone else. Their macho, expose-at-all-costs, devil-may-care attitude to the people they focus on ultimately tarnishes us all with the same brush however much my colleagues / peers and I in local media try to do what's right for our communities.

I hope Broadchurch manages to distinguish between bully-boy tactics of the nationals and the genuinely care-about-their-community local paper.

Many years ago a friend of mine lost a baby to cot death. The local journalist turned up at the door on the morning of the funeral.

They were told to go away and to show some respect but still reported on it.

Since then I have had no time for any journalist.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    Fwiw, I'm quite interested in the computer club and - from the pov of someone who enjoys structure - that the Rev and Tom haven't yet met on screen. The dynamic between them might be key - it's difficult to see what is holding Tom back from telling what he knows and an 'authority' figure might be it.

Did they say it was a computer club? I thought they said that he actually taught the ICT lessons at the school? Though I did think it was a bit weird that the class teacher wouldn't be able to teach ICT better than a vicar would. When I went to a C of E primary school, the local vicar just took assembly once a week and the odd RE lesson!
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    Will Mellor is very good in this, isn't he?

Pauline Quirke is fantastic, too. She plays "menace" so we'll! I remember her as a child murderer in The Bill, but am trying to remember that brilliant show she was in as a psychopathic prison inmate?

The Sculptress?

I'm enjoying this, I don't find it too slow as some do.

NirvanaGirl
    "I'm really enjoying Broadchurch, I just think it would have been better as a 8 parter series that was on every night for 8 nights"

Me too, but I would've been happy with 2 hours a week over 4 weeks. Too impatient to find out what happens next :)
  • AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Which could be an explanation for the skateboard.....

Perhaps Susan didnt * steal* it from the beach.
    More a case of Danny arrived at the hut with his board, then was murdered, and the board was put into a cupboard by the killer or killers
    Now Susan is left with it, but doesnt want to go to the police as doesnt want to have to explain that she was making money on the side by renting out the hut
    Forum Member
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    Which could be an explanation for the skateboard.....

Perhaps Susan didnt * steal* it from the beach.
    More a case of Danny arrived at the hut with his board, then was murdered, and the board was put into a cupboard by the killer or killers
    Now Susan is left with it, but doesnt want to go to the police as doesnt want to have to explain that she was making money on the side by renting out the hut

Remember she's employed as the cleaner/caretaker for the chalet, she could have found it when cleaning.

Also Danny's body had traces of cleaning agent on him as well didn't he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some interesting theories here and I've been enjoying scrolling through. I thought I would add a few thoughts of my own ... !

Firstly, I don't think it is Jack. IIRC the offence was referred to as 'underage sex' and it was only the villagers who passed this information around as being related to children. If we assume that the offence took place sometime before 2001 then it is possible that he was having a gay relationship with an18, 19, or even a 20 year old. The last piece of information in Monday's bit of the jigsaw, was that another police force found similarities with a murder 15 years before in an area where Jack used to live. My theory is that he was hounded out of that village because of his past offence and his anger towards the journalist is because he can see it might happen again.

I find the theory of Ellie's husbad intriguing.

If I were writing something like this I would try to think of what would cause the maximum amount of devastation when the killer is revealed. Ellie is close to the Latimers and is already feeling emotionally charged. If her hubby was the killer then she would definitely have double the devastation. He is also, I think, the only character whom we have seen in a consistently good light and appears to have no nasty secret agenda - he just keeps on trucking, looking after house and home. It's always the quiet ones though innit, that slip under the radar ....

For what it's worth, I think it's Ellie's son, Tom, who has killed Danny. I think it will have been an accident and I think an adult has helped him cover it up and make it look like suicide or murder and I reckon that adult is his Dad.

Dan Dan Daaaaaaahn! :eek:
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I have a problem with the grieving family. I lost a daughter, not thankfully by a murder but for months I couldnt function, eat or do any of the things they have this family doing.

It might be said they are in shock but the laughter over the meal, the grandmother acting as if little was different and a roast meal could make any difference, it just isnt like that.

Total heartbreak is what happens, bursting into tears at any item which brings back a memory and the fathers actions were nothing like what it really is like.

I realise it is a TV drama but a bit of research has been missed and the drama is poorer for it.

I agree about Will Mellor as I have never been a fan of his and didnt realise it was him until this week, he was very good indeed.
  • mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying this series, got me gripped now.
    As someone else mentioned, Will Mellor is playing a good part.

Gosh, Pauline Quirk was horrible last night to the newspaper editor wasn't she? She is pretty scary.
  • SuddenEliteSuddenElite Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    Many years ago a friend of mine lost a baby to cot death. The local journalist turned up at the door on the morning of the funeral.

They were told to go away and to show some respect but still reported on it.

Since then I have had no time for any journalist.

Well I can totally understand your feelings when you put it in that context. They should've let it lie. Sorry about your friend's loss.
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying this series, got me gripped now.
    As someone else mentioned, Will Mellor is playing a good part.

Gosh, Pauline Quirk was horrible last night to the newspaper editor wasn't she? She is pretty scary.

Did she say "I know men who would rape you?"

I couldn't make out what she said to her but had a cat on my lap and the remote to rewind it was way out of reach!

I'm inclined to believe Susan is involved but not guilty. The idea of a paedophile ring another poster mentioned earlier is interesting- and that Susan only half knows whats going on. Perhaps she found the body and realised how much that would look if the police were called to the Hut.

Jack is innocent, I'm sure of it. I think the whole underage sex thing is a deliberate grey area- it could have been a matter of months (15 to 16), or, as someone else noted, an offence from the old Age Of Consent for gay sex.
    Forum Member
    Well I can totally understand your feelings when you put it in that context. They should've let it lie. Sorry about your friend's loss.

It happened in the 80's, I've never forgotten it.
  • looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sculptress?

I'm enjoying this, I don't find it too slow as some do.

NirvanaGirl
    "I'm really enjoying Broadchurch, I just think it would have been better as a 8 parter series that was on every night for 8 nights"

Me too, but I would've been happy with 2 hours a week over 4 weeks. Too impatient to find out what happens next :)
    I prefer it over the 8 weeks. I love the anticipation - (too much stuff these days ( not particularly TV) is just available whenever you want it - the anticipation of having to wait is an interesting experience !)

Also, if a TV show is on consecuitive nights, if you can't watch one night, you then have to record all the remaining episodes. I couldn't commit to 8 consecutive nights, but 1 night a week is good for me. 4 lots of 2 hours would have been OK.

It just amazes me that some US shows go out over 24 weeks and no-one bats an eyelid, but we don't seem able to cope with an 8 week UK show.
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I have a problem with the grieving family. I lost a daughter, not thankfully by a murder but for months I couldnt function, eat or do any of the things they have this family doing.

It might be said they are in shock but the laughter over the meal, the grandmother acting as if little was different and a roast meal could make any difference, it just isnt like that.

Total heartbreak is what happens, bursting into tears at any item which brings back a memory and the fathers actions were nothing like what it really is like.

I realise it is a TV drama but a bit of research has been missed and the drama is poorer for it.

I agree about Will Mellor as I have never been a fan of his and didnt realise it was him until this week, he was very good indeed.
    Very sorry to hear about your daughter.

I think they have done ok with the mum, as she does seem to be very lost, even at the dinner table, you could see she wasn't comfortable or at ease at all. Plus Danny as well, although it does seem he is hiding something.

In my experience there is normally one person who tries to keep it together and I do think that is what the nan is trying to do. But I do agree, it's only meant to be a week after the crime, them all sitting round the dinner table, looking fairly happy didn't really fit.

I think the fact that there are some good actors playing their parts well, helps saves Broadchurch a bit, as the police work seems very shoddy and full of holes. Things you would imagine they would do aren't being done. It does actually make you wonder how they're ever going to catch the murderer as they seem pretty inept.

I must admit, I'm wondering again about the dad. I know he's had his bit of being investigated, but we never did find out what he did between 1.00 and 3.00 am when Danny went missing. Plus he never checked on Danny that night, which seemed unusual. Wondering if he killed him in the home, nicked someones boat and dumped him on the shore. Although I would imagine he wouldn't burn the boat if that was the case as he'd have no need to. Plus I do feel that maybe he is too obvious.

I think as many have said, Ellie's husband could be part of it. Mainly because at the moment, he seems very nice, non sinister type person! The only one who really isn't a suspect!

I don't think it was anything to do with Jack. I think he's a red herring. I also think Susan knows something, but isn't the murderer. I'm also wondering why she lied about Mark doing the work in the hut and how that would benefit her. I guess there's something going on with her and Nige and maybe Mark is involved, which is why she lied, but she didn't seem to be protecting Mark.

The vicar also seems to be a bit on edge. Not sure if that's just meant to be him though i.e a young vicar having to deal with something he doesn't really know how to deal with as he is in a sense as a vicar is looked to for solace. Or whether there is more dodgy stuff going on. They seemed to focus on the fact he could see Danny's house. Also they seemed to mention a few times he doesn't drink. Wondering if he's an alcoholic, went on a bender, saw something but can't be sure as out of his head. Which would explain why he was a bit edgy! Plus his insomnia means he could've been awake on the night Danny went missing and the fact he can see the house, makes me wonder again if he did see something. Of course though, it could just be another red herring.

It was made clear that Ellie and her family never really went to church. Again, this was referred to quite a few times, so wondering if there's any relevance to that, but to be honest, haven't a scooby what!

So quite a lot of questions, which I think is always good in a crime show, as long as most get answered at the end!!!
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,128
    Forum Member
    looby383x wrote: »
    I prefer it over the 8 weeks. I love the anticipation - (too much stuff these days ( not particularly TV) is just available whenever you want it - the anticipation of having to wait is an interesting experience !)

Also, if a TV show is on consecuitive nights, if you can't watch one night, you then have to record all the remaining episodes. I couldn't commit to 8 consecutive nights, but 1 night a week is good for me. 4 lots of 2 hours would have been OK.

It just amazes me that some US shows go out over 24 weeks and no-one bats an eyelid, but we don't seem able to cope with an 8 week UK show.

I've never watched a US show over that many weeks. And it's not that we can't cope, just eager ;)
This discussion has been closed.