iPhone 5S & 5C launch thread Tuesday 10th September 6PM

Comments

• wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep its one of my major gripes with Apple the cost of memory. When I bought my iMac to get it to 16gb of ram from Apple was something like £300 (I think) cost from Amazon for exactly the same ram £54

It would not be so bad if you had the option to add extra flash via a micro SD card but sadly they don't provide that facility.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    It would not be so bad if you had the option to add extra flash via a micro SD card but sadly they don't provide that facility.

True but a lot of phones don't offer that.

I reckon it's the phones with 16gb of ram they seem to offer the SD card, I'm looking at the Z1 and that has a sd card slot and only 16gm on board which seems low for a "flag ship" phone.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    I'll bet they'll claim something along the lines of it being a unique feature, or the only phone to have a fingerprint reader. :D

Unfortunately I'll be working so won't be able to watch it live for the first time in a couple of years.

Pretty much this :D

They will put some spin on it and their followers will lap it up.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They wont do that as they have a huge mark up on phone memory. :eek:
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but its not some lab tech sitting in a lab in Virginia checking your prints. It's a computer matching the ones held on databases (I think American Driving Licenses have a figure print, or did I imagine that) so in theory Apples could be another database for police/security services to check!

It's one for the "tin foil hat" brigade but in theory you can't have a mobile phone without leaving some sort of "paper trail", bank records, cc payments etc all linked to the phone, then you have the phones GPS and then you have geo tagging of photos, now they have your figure prints too!.. During the cold war either side would have given billions to be able to access that sort of data.

Do we know that its going to do that?

Is there a reason it can't just be stored as some sort of encrypted string on the phone?
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They wont do that as they have a huge mark up on phone memory. :eek:

Is that why google do the same?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Yes you did. You replied to my post claiming the goalposts were already shiftng. Since that was my first post on the matter, how could they have been?

Yes.

Here's a list from 1999 till 2011:-

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/at-apple-everything-is-revolutionary/2843

I don't think they do more than say Google or Microsoft. I think you like to think they do however.

Fair enough.

Same edges only painted, same bezel, same placement of all the buttons? Its the same!!

The goalposts were starting to shift over the course of the discussion. I did not attribute both statements to you.

I think there is a difference between referencing some particular feature as revolutionary, and claiming the product per se is revolutionary. For example, they may cite some new security development with the fingerprint reader in the new iPhone. But I'd say that was different to them describing the new iPhone as revolutionary.

Oh come on - there are similarities, but its not the same. So what do you want anyway - them to change things just for the hell of it?
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Do we know that its going to do that?

Is there a reason it can't just be stored as some sort of encrypted string on the phone?

I think the real question here is whether people want their biometric data stored on a device which could potentially be hacked, remotely accessed or stolen. I think that's part of the reason why the Android based Motorola Atrix's fingerprint scanner feature didn't take off.

People will rightly have security concerns as biometric data is very sensitive and can be used in all manner of ways if stolen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Is there that much of a market for people willing to spend £799 on a phone?

There is no shortage of people with more money than sense in the world :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I think the real question here is whether people want their biometric data stored on a device which could potentially be hacked, remotely accessed or stolen. I think that's part of the reason why the Android based Motorola Atrix's fingerprint scanner feature didn't take off.

People will rightly have security concerns as biometric data is very sensitive and can be used in all manner of ways if stolen.

I understood you didn't have to use it on the atrix, And I expect the same will be true of the iPhone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    klendathu wrote: »
    There is no shortage of people with more money than sense in the world :D

Or people who have worked hard for their money spending it on what they like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    I think the 5s will start at 32GB
  • TheCloakroom99TheCloakroom99 Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Or people who have worked hard for their money spending it on what they like.

Does not make it sensible though does it?

Two separate things.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I understood you didn't have to use it on the atrix, And I expect the same will be true of the iPhone.

I thought that was common knowledge. But I'm wondering how many people will really be willing to embrace this feature.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Two separate things.

Its a lot of money, but if you get 2-4 years good, regular use out of it then its probably worth it. And seeing as top end smartphones these days are really at least three devices in one (phone, camera, music player), its not that crazy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Two separate things.

Of course it does. If you make a conscious decision to make a purchase, knowing how much it cost and what it is your buying, why would it be senseless.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it does. If you make a conscious decision to make a purchase, knowing how much it cost and what it is your buying, why would it be senseless.

Because people who buy Apple products are morons?

D'oh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    I thought that was common knowledge. But I'm wondering how many people will really be willing to embrace this feature.

I would think that will depend on how reliable it is, and how it is tided into some apps.

If it is 100% reliable, I would imagine many will use it as an alternative to a lock screen code.

I would imagine the majority of people would not have the slightest care about the phone storing fingerprint info.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the fingerprint reader exists, I really hope it's tied into iTunes and and App Store as well as being able to replace the passcode lock. Then it would actually be quite useful.
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be no finger print reader end of! :rolleyes:

The 5S will just be a polished up version of the 5, not sure what all the fuss is about. The 5C though will be interesting...
  • Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the best place to watch this? Sorry if I've missed any links
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    Where's the best place to watch this? Sorry if I've missed any links

apple.com
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Any livestream?