Options

Does the good weather mean better TV signals?

Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
Forum Member
The reason I ask is that I've been able to pick up all the Com7 channels on my bedroom TV that's hooked up to an internal aerial, which usually doesn't happen.

Normally I either can't get them at all, or they keep breaking up. However, over the last few days they're all displaying perfectly (strength 50%, quality 100%).

I've always been able to get them fine on my main TV (hooked up to a loft aerial).

Comments

• Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    Similar story here: Big improvement in reception on the bedroom aerial, no change on the main aerial.

I don't think it's the weather though, they've been working on the transmitter recently.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Improvement of local signals due to the weather seems unlikely. In fact, at this time of the year, if you happen to have nearby trees with the leaves starting to appear, you could anticipate weak signals becoming weaker.
  • Options
    Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tropospheric Lift?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denco1 wrote: »
    Tropospheric Lift?
    Doesn't usually cause much, if any, improvement to local signals. Has even been known, occasionally, to cause a reduction.

Having said that, there are reports of tropo activity at the moment between E. Anglia and Europe. So who knows?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    As already suggested, it's more likely down to work on the transmitter - hot weather and 'lift' conditions makes distant stations temporarily stronger, and causes problems rather than helps (unless you're a radio ham :D).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know about the technical possibilities of it, but I was just wondering whether with COM7 an enhanced reception of a distant transmitter using the same channel for the same Mux could act as an unofficial SFN and appear to raise the local signal a bit.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I've checked today and the channels are still showing fine. They're coming from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter, so maybe they have been doing work on it after all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    I don't know about the technical possibilities of it, but I was just wondering whether with COM7 an enhanced reception of a distant transmitter using the same channel for the same Mux could act as an unofficial SFN and appear to raise the local signal a bit.

No it can't ,unless it is SFN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it can't ,unless it is SFN.
    Fair enough, it was just a thought.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    Fair enough, it was just a thought.

No probs .

I will explain why if you wish ,or perhaps some other tecky nerd on this forum will do so.