Options

Does anyone actually look forward to the new year?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love the 'clean slate' feel about New Year's Day. I like planning things and there's something about the New Year that gets me off me bum and up and doing stuff ...... until about mid Feb. Then I'm back to normal again.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    That horrible discordant tuneless wail of bagpipes that sounds like a tom cat has been castrated with two half bricks :D

Yeah, that's the little bastard, just hearing your description makes me want to hang myself :mad:
  • Options
    Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gmphmac wrote: »
    I love New Year. It always marks a time for change. If the previous year has been bad, then you can say goodbye to it forever at the stroke of Midnight and start afresh.

You can do the same thing with any second of any day of any year though. You can simply choose your own moment in which to say...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone actually look forward to the new year?

I couldn't be more nonplussed if I tried.

To me it's just a date on the calender due to happen sometime after the 31st December.

I do look forward to warmer weather, but that won't be happening any time soon.

Me too. Although I love the cold weather. The colder the better as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think New Year is a sad time, well for me anyway. I always think of my dad and the people who are not here anymore.
    Its also just a painful reminder that, yet again, I'm starting another year as a single person.
    I used to go to my sisters New Year party but got fed up of being stuck in a corner on my own surrounded by couples. Even when the clock stuck NewYear no one wished me a Happy New Year. I just got fed up and now I just stay at home, get my children to bed and watch a dvd.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I always think New Year is a sad time, well for me anyway. I always think of my dad and the people who are not here anymore.
    Its also just a painful reminder that, yet again, I'm starting another year as a single person.
    I used to go to my sisters New Year party but got fed up of being stuck in a corner on my own surrounded by couples. Even when the clock stuck NewYear no one wished me a Happy New Year. I just got fed up and now I just stay at home, get my children to bed and watch a dvd.
    How mean! How could people be so unaware? Why are some people so self-involved?
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    I'm not because its going to be an awful struggle money wise next year and I just can't face it
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only look forward to the new year if I've actually got something to look forward to. One year, it was the birth of a niece or nephew. :)

Also as a gardener, I look forward to early spring, when the first bulbs start to flower.
  • Options
    Double DeckerDouble Decker Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    No, don't enjoy it one bit, never celebrated it, it is just a normal day for me. I dread what will happen in the future (Health Issues).
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I treat it much like 'christmas' and don't get worked up about it.

Tomorrow I shall likely leave work early and meet up with a couple of friends. We shall go in to the evening and maybe through to midnight, but we may break up about 21.00 and head home - whatever........

If I'm at home I may stay up or - if feeling tired - go to bed.

If another 'event' appeared that was convenient (the key is either local or with a space to crash - not giving money to the minicab muggers that night) I might go.

I look forward to four or five weeks time when the days are getting notably longer we are on the cusp of the chance of the odd nice 'spring like' day.
  • Options
    missloomissloo Posts: 1,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've managed not to murder my MIL in 2010 so it hasn't been too bad a year!

I'm really excited about 2011 tho - we will get our full house plans submitted and hopefully our foundations in, and i am going to try my best to get a full time permanent job close to home :)
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because it means everything is back to normal for a while :)
  • Options
    mummypiggetmummypigget Posts: 12,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year I am, we don't do much on the eve but the last fee weeks have been so sucky and I have been quite poorly, in the last 5 weeks I have been out 5 times! I hope the next year can bring a lot better for us all. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate New Year.

There is something incredibly depressing about the whole thing, or perhaps that just my state of mind, I dunno...

I don't drink and the thought of an evening stuffed with over-inebriated idiots all being happy and jolly fills me with dread. It feels like a whole lot of hype for very little. January just drags on, cold, grey, everyone skint from Christmas and d'ya know what? It carries on into February, then March, and its not until then that the weather improves a tiny bit I start to even feel like its a new year.

Like I say, perhaps its just me, but I really hate New Year - its not so much as fresh beginnings but saying good bye, over and over again :(
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    People who think the new year will be better than the last are a fine example of the triumph of naive hope over experience.