Options

Christmas day - normal day off?

MissjefMissjef Posts: 2,375
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was just wondering if anyone else who has to work over the christmas period just has actual christmas day as a normal day off?
i think this seems a bit wrong, i work in retail so obviously the shops are all shut, so surely it should be classed as an extra day off?
i work 5 days a week, so this week i had tues off & tomorrow.
I think our company does something weird about holidays, as bank holidays class as normal days so instead of getting a day in lieu or anything we just get extra holiday to take whenever - but surely christmas is different?

Comments

• Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Won't it depend on your contract?
  • Options
    CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is either an Off day or holiday, can't remember what was on the rota. In a normal working week I can be in any days from Fri-Thurs and it changes every week. My contract is 4 days over 7 (3 days off a week) but I usually do more (either 1 or 2 days a week off) but over Christmas I've been having my contracted days off or using holiday up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas is usually a paid day off, using some of your holiday allowance.
  • Options
    orange1234orange1234 Posts: 1,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We give 28 days paid holiday to be taken whenever the person wants. If they want to nominate any particular day as a day off, then that's their choice. Some faiths don't celebrate Christmas and others are atheist so we don't insist on anything.

To be fair though, we close Christmas day so it's not available to be worked but when it falls on a Sunday for example, the issue doesn't arise.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Missjef wrote: »
    I think our company does something weird about holidays, as bank holidays class as normal days so instead of getting a day in lieu or anything we just get extra holiday to take whenever - but surely christmas is different?

To be honest, your whole post confused me a little, but the bit I've snipped particularly. An extra day off to take "whenever" is a lieu day :confused:
  • Options
    CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in retail too, OP, and I'm in the same position - I was off Sunday and am off tomorrow and that counts as my two days off out of 7
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well then you havent had to use holiday allowance so surely that's a good thing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    I only work part time two days a week but if i remember from last year correctly I got paid a fifth of my hours for Christmas Day even though it wasn't one of my contracted days and I also think I get an extra days holiday added to my annual leave.

Everywhere is different though, best to ask.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just wondering if anyone else who has to work over the christmas period just has actual christmas day as a normal day off?
    i think this seems a bit wrong, i work in retail so obviously the shops are all shut, so surely it should be classed as an extra day off?
    You are entitled to 5.6 weeks annual holiday - 28 days for a five day week - which means everyone gets at least four weeks holiday of their choosing if they get bank holidays off as paid leave. But there is no requirement to get bank holidays off, these can be worked as normal days so you get all 28 days at other times.
    There is also no requirement to be paid a premium rate for working BHs.

Basically there is nothing wrong with how your employer works bank holidays, providing your contract doesn't specify otherwise, you will be getting the legal requirement of 5.6 weeks paid leave.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only work part time two days a week but if i remember from last year correctly I got paid a fifth of my hours for Christmas Day even though it wasn't one of my contracted days and I also think I get an extra days holiday added to my annual leave.

Everywhere is different though, best to ask.

But, last Christmas Day was a week day and not the weekend.

The problem being a retail worker is the fact that you don't get paid overtime rate for working on a Saturday unlke most other professions.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But, on the other hand, would you have expected to be paid for 5 days if you'd only worked for 4 days?

Personally I would because it wouldn't be your fault that your employer decided to close on Chriatmas Day
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    The problem being a retail worker is the fact that you don't get paid overtime rate for working on a Saturday unlke most other professions.
    Not just retail, there are plenty of industries where Saturday (and Sunday) is a normal working day.
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    But, on the other hand, would you have expected to be paid for 5 days if you'd only worked for 4 days?

Personally I would because it wouldn't be your fault that your employer decided to close on Chriatmas Day
    Although if they did give you a day paid leave they would be entitled to take that from your annual entitlement (depending on contract of course).
  • Options
    chris2k2chris2k2 Posts: 9,886
    Forum Member
    I've just started working in an law firm, and everyone regardless of position gets 25 days plus B/H but you have to keep 3 or 4 days for the christmas season as they close for approx 2 weeks.

I am not a party/celebratory person though, so it wouldn't bother me working anyways, but at least I am getting an holiday/break so soon (4 weeks in) when I've been told I am suppose to work 12 weeks none stop 1st - if that makes sense
  • Options
    adc82140adc82140 Posts: 3,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work in the NHS- we get 30 days holiday a year, plus statutory bank holidays. If we are required to work on a bank hol, including Christmas Day, we are entitled to another day off in lieu. This is effectively added on to the holiday entitlement to be applied for and taken in the same way as annual leave.

The period between Christmas and New Year is very quiet, with most clinics cancelled. However no-one is forced to take holidays- the time is usually spent giving the department a huge stocktake and clear-out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to work some time back cos I would be normally working today and New Year's Day, rest of the time is coming from working Bank Holiday Monday.
  • Options
    steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm not 100% sure really, i know if you're an adult worker employment law in general is a bit more 'flexible', but even more so when it comes to working in retail.

In theory you're only entitled under EU working time regs to 1 day off in 7, and this can be rotated so you may end up working for 12 consecutive days, so long as you get one day off in each week.

I know employers have rights too, and employees need to be flexible when it comes to hours (especially when it comes to working in retail) but the law does need to step in somewhere.