Options

TalkTalk youview queries

Upgraded from old Tiscali tv box to the Talk talk version of Youview . Mainly I love it but couple of nigles. The digital channels on actual tv no longer work ,they have to be watched via the box. Also when moving from terrestrial to sky ports channels which i could do by just entering channel number on old box ,it now requires a few hoops to get through:mad: If I could access the digital channels on thre tv's tunner itelf going from that to the av on the tv is easy so fould leave the box on sky and for example watch tonight's match on ITV and flick to av to check other games. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    goonerob wrote: »
    Upgraded from old Tiscali tv box to the Talk talk version of Youview . Mainly I love it but couple of nigles. The digital channels on actual tv no longer work ,they have to be watched via the box. Also when moving from terrestrial to sky ports channels which i could do by just entering channel number on old box ,it now requires a few hoops to get through:mad: If I could access the digital channels on thre tv's tunner itelf going from that to the av on the tv is easy so fould leave the box on sky and for example watch tonight's match on ITV and flick to av to check other games. Any ideas?

Hi there.

One of the settings on the Youview box (Huwaei) needs to be switched "on" to allow you to continue accessing the Freeview channels built into your TV. Go into the "Settings" option after you have pressed the "Y" button and scroll across the given options until you find "RF Output" at the bottom of the list (Am typing this at work, so can't guarantee that is the exact description!) The default option is "Off" and I believe this is what is preventing you from accessing the Freeview channels on your TV. Changing it to "On" should hopefully resolve your issue. Let me know ihow you get on.

Paul
  • Options
    1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also when moving from terrestrial to sky ports channels which i could do by just entering channel number on old box ,it now requires a few hoops to get through
    A future software update will put the IPTV channels in the main EPG. It's a bit annoying and they can't be recorded either. TalkTalk waited a long time for YouView to finally launch and obviously decided it was better to launch as they have done than wait until such time as the channels could be obtained via the EPG.
    BT could be launching its IPTV channels by new year. I wonder if they too will be in a separate player or whether YouView will have sorted this update out by then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Hi Paul followed your instructions which made perfect sense and seemed very logical but TV doesn't seem to agree:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Hi Paul followed your instructions which made perfect sense and seemed very logical but TV doesn't seem to agree:)

Hmmm, sorry to hear that. Am at a loss as to know what to suggest. Hopefully someone will have an idea. Good luck.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    cheers
    helpful person at Talk talk didn't have youview so was at a loss:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Hi goonerob,

When you enable the RF Output in settings you do need to connect the Youview box from the RF out to the TV's aerial input (RF in) socket.

Can you confirm if this connection has been made as this isnt clear from the previous posts?

If you have the external aerial connected to the Youview box with only a HDMI/scart connection to the TV then it wont push the Freeview signal to the TV, this requires the co-ax connection from the Youview box to the TV.

If you have further queries please feel free to either join the TalKTalk Members Forum or tweet us @TalkTalkCare

Regards

Mark
    Online Community Department
  • Options
    ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quick question (to save starting another thread!)

Do the TV Catchup etc programs count towards the internet useage which shows in 'My account', or is that just the broadband from the PC?
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have my TT YouView box set up as per instructions (i.e. with the box connected to the TV via HDMI and aerial fly lead. When both box tuners are recording programmes and I want to watch something else, I use the TV's own remote to change the input from HDMI 1 to TV and select the appropriate channel number (or find it on the Guide). No problem at all. I don't understand why yours doesn't allow that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ns.macd wrote: »
    Quick question (to save starting another thread!)

Do the TV Catchup etc programs count towards the internet useage which shows in 'My account', or is that just the broadband from the PC?

They will do, but taking YouView from TalkTalk puts you on their TalkTalk Plus tariff, which includes unlimited downloads, so it isn't a problem.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They will do, but taking YouView from TalkTalk puts you on their TalkTalk Plus tariff, which includes unlimited downloads, so it isn't a problem.

i thought all Talk Talk packages are now unlimited since they started giving You view boxes out. Well their version of unlimited anyway.
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    i thought all Talk Talk packages are now unlimited since they started giving You view boxes out. Well their version of unlimited anyway.

You can't get a YouView box on Essentials (which has small print saying they can take away unlimited at any time).
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have no idea what it is but we are downloading 500+ gb a month and no problems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    You can't get a YouView box on Essentials (which has small print saying they can take away unlimited at any time).

That is a bit naff, so to make sure you get unlimited and can keep it you got to pay more for a TV service you may not want.

I know someone who went for essentials a few weeks back, they asked people for advice and was told by most people to avoid Talk Talk, and they still went for them. But they told me how Talk Talk tried to talk them into going for the higher package as it had you view, something they did not want as they have Freesat.

neo_wales wrote: »
    I have no idea what it is but we are downloading 500+ gb a month and no problems.
    It is the traffic management that is the problem.
    Maybe I was spoiled when I went to ADSl24 as they had no traffic management, but I don't think I could go back to a service that have it or blocking sites either,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noise rarely misses an opportunity to knock YouView. On his own admission, he doesn't have it and, therefore, has no - or very little - experience of it. Anyone who views the posts of those who do have it is likely to find an altogether different opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    I have been with TalkTalk since last summer and overall I am happy with the service. I started with Essentials which is a bargain if you are not a heavy phone or internet user, much better than BT's equivalent and offer services such as caller display for free.

I changed to Plus TV package just before Christmas, as far as I am concerned it's the best TV service out there. It's flexible, all the main satellite channels there if you wish but if not then don't bother. I have had Sky in the past and found I mainly watched the same channels that were on Freeview unless I was bored and nothing was on so I scrolled further down the EPG. I often think Sky/Virgin is only deemed as better for bragging purposes, 'look at me I have hundreds of channels that I never watch but I have Sky/Virgin so i am better than you!' kinda thing lol.

Youview has a great future! Once the promised inclusion of broadband linear channels are on the main EPG and are recordable, more on demand apps are added such as Youtube, Netflix and many more to come then it will beat all other services hands down at a fraction of the cost!

I highly recommend it.

My only complaint is the TalkTalk router, it forever needs rebooting. I use my old one which works great so problem solved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Noise rarely misses an opportunity to knock YouView. On his own admission, he doesn't have it and, therefore, has no - or very little - experience of it. Anyone who views the posts of those who do have it is likely to find an altogether different opinion.

Won't stop his moaning though :rolleyes: Bet he has a 'mate' whose got it and has had lots of trouble with the service, his 'mates' tend to be unlucky with many things lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did I knock you view in the above post? i don't think I did.

Just saying that it seems silly that the only way on Talk Talk to get unlimited data without the threat of it being withdrawn is to pay more for a service you may not want.

Neo as for knowing someone who got you view, i do, but not via Talk Talk as for what it is like, i don't think they have really used the you view part that much. i had a look and thought it was ok if you wanted that sort of thing, but it seems on the slow side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You need to upgrade to unlimited because of the amount of data the service will use. I would imagine the threat of a downgrade is part of their FUP; that said I would imagine you'd really need to abuse it to get a knock down. As I said in another post we download 500+ gb a month, sometimes @750gb but remember that I use tvcatchup in four bedrooms, the study and the kitchen rather than mess with antenna cables plus youview, Love Film, Netflix, Steam and other downloads.

My first hard drive was a 10MB drive and I remember thinking "I'll never fill this" and was running Wordstar, Harvard Graphics, Dbase and Lotus 123 with lots of room to spare. These days with internal, external and network drives at home we're running at a guess around 17TB...ludicrous really but hey ho times change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    You need to upgrade to unlimited because of the amount of data the service will use. I would imagine the threat of a downgrade is part of their FUP; that said I would imagine you'd really need to abuse it to get a knock down. As I said in another post we download 500+ gb a month, sometimes @750gb but remember that I use tvcatchup in four bedrooms, the study and the kitchen rather than mess with antenna cables plus youview, Love Film, Netflix, Steam and other downloads.

I was on about essentials as David Waine Posted this

As I put in a reply I thought all Talk Talk packages was unlimited and then derek500 came back saying that in the small print unlimited on essentials can be taken away at any time. so in effect Talk Talk is saying that if you want unlimited you need to get the package which offers a you view for a higher price even if yo don't want want You View.

My first hard drive was a 10MB drive and I remember thinking "I'll never fill this" and was running Wordstar, Harvard Graphics, Dbase and Lotus 123 with lots of room to spare. These days with internal, external and network drives at home we're running at a guess around 17TB...ludicrous really but hey ho times change.

i know times have changed, not sure if it is for the better , but my point is that Talk Talk is more or less trying to get people to buy a service they may not really want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With their respective YouView services, neither TalkTalk nor BT is forcing anybody to do anything. All they are doing is providing a service, which comes at a cost - as do most services. It is up to the consumer whether or not to take it up. The carrot that they offer is a free box. A high quality Freeview+ HD PVR normally costs £250 - £300. A YouView box costs about the same if bought on the open market. To make full use of its facilities requires a reliable Internet connection of at least 4Mbps and unlimited downloads. That is why TalkTalk and BT do not bundle the box with their basic packages.

If you do not want to pay for a faster Internet connection, fine - don't get YouView. If you want YouView, but don't want to be tied into a two year contract, buy a box from Richer Sounds and keep your existing ISP. Remember, though, that you still need a minimum of 4Mbps and unlimited downloads for it to be any more than a good Freeview+ HD PVR. How many ISPs can deliver that reliably on their basic packages?
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .Just saying that it seems silly that the only way on Talk Talk to get unlimited data without the threat of it being withdrawn is to pay more for a service you may not want.

Oh dear, if people didn't want it, then they wouldn't pay for it would they.

Just read all these various different threads on this forum about YouView from TT, noise. And everyones happy! Well, they are actually more than happy with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    hi people
    i recently ordered talktalk youview self install with entertainmant boost
    my query is guys that i bought a humax youview box off the internet a couple of months ago and that works fine but i found that i was unable to to get any iptv channels such as sky so i placed my order for talktalk youview,they gave me tv go live date of 9th april which was brilliant.
    in the meantime when i hooked up my humax youview box to my talktalk router the talktalk player showed up and i was able to view a few channels from talktalk.
    when i looked on my account it now says that my talktalk tv service is now active and when i checked for the status of delivery for my set top box it now says..sorry we cant get this information to you right now please try again later
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like your account has been activated and they have probably noticed that you have begun downloading programmes, which has confused the hell out of them because they haven't delivered your box yet. I imagine that it will probably sort itself out in due course and the engineer will turn up to install your new box - which will leave you with two boxes, but only one account.

Whether they would let you run two parallel YouView services on one account, I have no idea, but I doubt it. You could always keep one as a back-up, or run it as a Freeview+ HD PVR on another TV. Alternatively, put one on Ebay.

You will be in the (possibly unique) position of being able to directly compare both YouView boxes. You already own a Humax and TT will deliver a Huawei. It would be interesting to know whether you notice any significant difference in the performance of the two boxes. I very much doubt that there will be, but it would be nice to know nonetheless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Having had my TalkTalk Youview box since Christmas, I decided yesterday to purchase the Sky Sports boost for a month.

I have a couple of questions.
    Do I need to cancel after the 30 days or will it just switch off the extra channels automatically?

During the football on Sky Sports 2 yesterday a number containing about 8 digits kept appearing in the top right of the picture for a few minutes, would disappear and then re appear, any reason why?

Also, I take it the play arrow which is in the bottom right cannot be switched off? I guess it's like the pint glass you see in the pubs showing Sky?

Well impressed so far.
  • Options
    kingdavekingdave Posts: 1,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may seem like a daft question!

Is there anyway to get TT or BT services through YouView without actually being a customer of theirs?

I've thought about getting a YouView box off eBay and I understand that a branded one will become a non branded box once plugged into an ISP that isn't TT or BT, but some of the extra channels and services look interesting.

Trouble is, I'm happy with Sky as my BB provider and I'm tied in to their contract for another 8 months or so. If there was away to join TT and pay the extra for some of their add ons and extra channels on a month by month basis it would be perfect.

If they either TT or BT don't offer this, do they have any plans to? The rumours I keep hearing about the BT Sport Channel are that it will be available on all platforms regardless of who your service provider is.

Thanks