Madonna's Best Album?

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
Forum Member
✭✭
Like A Prayer or Ray of Light for me...

Confessions was also very good and MDNA was underrated in my opinion.

I also think Erotica was not that bad but it was knocked because she brought out the Sex book at the same time.

I loved Madonna in her 'Ray Of Light' period...the whole album was amazing as was 'Like A Prayer'..

not sure if she is releasing a new album now until 2015.

Comments

• rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Ray of Light' was the best because it brought her back from the doldrums and the music showed her to be more mature as a person. She was prepared to embrace her 40's. The style of music was different and she wanted to experiment with contrasting sounds.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,199
    Forum Member
    Ray Of Light is her magnum opus.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just loved the album cover, ethereal Madonna..
  • LMLM Posts: 63,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erotica
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Ray of Light is Madonna's best album.
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never understand the why 'Bedtime Stories' isn't as highly thought of as most of her other albums.

IMO it's her greatest & best album.
    I think it probably gets overlooked a bit because it didn't have any massive singles released from it, but I honestly think any of the tracks could have been released.

I just think it's a really chilled out album & I get the impression that Madonna was a bit sick & tired of the hoopla about 'Erotica', and this was her 'I don't give a sh*t' album.

Although ironically, the title track (written by Bjork), is the weakest song on the album IMO.

Although saying that, her Brits performance of BS was brilliant. I just think any of the other tracks would have made a better choice for a single.

Just realised that it was released in '94, God I feel old!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray Of Light. Absolute masterpiece.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I'll never understand the why 'Bedtime Stories' isn't as highly thought of as most of her other albums.

I think it probably gets overlooked a bit because it didn't have any massive singles released from it, but I honestly think any of the tracks could have been released.

I just think it's a really chilled out album & I get the impression that Madonna was a bit sick & tired of the hoopla about 'Erotica', and this was her 'I don't give a sh*t' album.

Although ironically, the title track (written by Bjork), is the weakest song on the album IMO.

Although saying that, her Brits performance of BS was brilliant. I just think any of the other tracks would have made a better choice for a single.

Although I previously stated that I believe Ray of Light to be Madonna's greatest album, Bedtime Stories would be in my Top 3 Madonna albums, alongside Ray of Light and Confessions on a Dancefloor.

I think that Bedtime Stories is criminally underrated by the fans and by the general public when they think of Madonna. It's a calming, soothing and smooth album that is a very easy listen, especially towards the end of a long day I find.

Take A Bow was one of Madonna's biggest hits. Period. It reigned atop the Billboard singles chart for longer than any other Madonna single. I would disagree with you and say that Bedtime Story is quite the highlight for me, it foreshadowed Madonna's transition to electronic styles and has an ethereal, mystical quality to it.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ray of Light, it's coherent, expressive and is so personal it bought some tears to my eyes, the instrumentation and influences used on the songs is also serene, experimental and relaxing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedtime Story was a great single but I was not keen on the album.

American Life and Music were better.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Erotica for me, it's her masterpiece.

Followed by Ray of Light, Bedtime Stories, Music and Like a Prayer.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have to disagree.
    Bedtime Story is one of her best and most outstanding songs. The best track on that album.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    My personal faves are True Blue and Ray Of Light, but I would say Ray Of Light is her best album, her vocals were the best so far since her training for Evita and it really brought her back into people's good books and it help Madonna win numerous awards too.

Honourable mentions to

Like A Prayer
    Erotica
    Bedtime Stories
    Music
    Madonna
    Like A Virgin
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although I previously stated that I believe Ray of Light to be Madonna's greatest album, Bedtime Stories would be in my Top 3 Madonna albums, alongside Ray of Light and Confessions on a Dancefloor.

I think that Bedtime Stories is criminally underrated by the fans and by the general public when they think of Madonna. It's a calming, soothing and smooth album that is a very easy listen, especially towards the end of a long day I find.

Take A Bow was one of Madonna's biggest hits. Period. It reigned atop the Billboard singles chart for longer than any other Madonna single. I would disagree with you and say that Bedtime Story is quite the highlight for me, it foreshadowed Madonna's transition to electronic styles and has an ethereal, mystical quality to it.
    Rae_Amury wrote: »
    I have to disagree.
    Bedtime Story is one of her best and most outstanding songs. The best track on that album.

I've gotta say, it's nice to hear from others who are fans of Bedtime Stories.
    Makes a refreshing change IMO.
    (Although I'm still not keen on the title track, sorry). :o
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    I've gotta say, it's nice to hear from others who are fans of Bedtime Stories.
    Makes a refreshing change IMO.
    (Although I'm still not keen on the title track, sorry). :o

I'm no fan of BS the single either, I do love the Junior Vasquez single version though.

I love the album though and agree it's very under rated!
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    Ray of Light and Like a Prayer are pretty much at evens for me. In my opinion, they are her most personal albums, displaying her emotional vulnerability but she took some terrible subjects (Like a Prayer mainly) and turned them into something beautiful
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like A Prayer and Ray Of Light for me too and both are definitive pop masterpieces.

I would have to Erotica and American Life in there as well.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ray Of Light.

Followed by Like A Prayer, Confessions & Erotica.
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebration is her best album, duh. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greatest Hits not a Studio Album..
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    Greatest Hits not a Studio Album..

My favourite songs are Celebration and Revolver. :cool:
  • Cloudy2Cloudy2 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    ea91 wrote: »
    My favourite songs are Celebration and Revolver. :cool:

Really, didn't like it on the album and didn't like it on the tour.

Best album Like A Prayer, Ray of Light a close 2nd, Confessions is 3rd and True Blue is 4th.

There has been some love for Bedtime Stories on the thread, which is nice I guess, but I have never liked that album and always rate it her worst. I was crushed on the 25th October 1994 when I first listened to it. Crushed I tell you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Life. Followed closely by Confessions
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like a Prayer

My favourite...it marked her real pinacle and highest point in her legacy....As an album it has a real coming of age feel which paints a more timeless picture. It is an artwork in its purest form...as i hear it it feels like i am in this Twilight Zone/Tim Burton nightmare/dreamscape..it speaks to me when i am upset/angry/happy/euphoric...and touches all those emotions across 52 powerful minutes.....from the lead title song to Act Of Contrition it is one massive artwork.

Madonna/P.Leonard and S.bray were a holy trinity and made one heck of an album together...raw, personal, from the soul and the music spoke for itself in so many areas...the Pop/Funk/gospel/Rock/Dance/Psychedelia Pop/Soul across the album has been unparalleled...no other artist could have done it and she did it sublimely....my favourtie album and a massive peak!

Erotica is my second favourite album of all time behind LAP...it is a true dark beautiful masterpiece. and reflects Madonna at her most challenging and also in a dark raw state too...again this album is an artwork.

then i feel Ray of Light, AMerican Life and Confessions on a Dance Floor really pave what she is about in three different areas, Spirituality, Political/Social, Euphoric/Time locked vibes....and for me anyway, equally as strong as each other.

MDNA i feel is very underrated as is Music as albums too....Music i feel in some ways touches hard in a euphoric/escapist way and in a dark..almost sadistic way too....while it sold well i feel it is held far too low in many regards.....MDNA i feel also on replay recently too...it grows with time and so many sounds/styles/themes across the album are varied....it doesnt try to "conform" nor does it try to be "ahead" either...it was on trend and very much not in its time peiod as well as being there...if it makes sense....the EDM harsher sounds, the Psychy/Power Pop vibes and Retro Dance vibes all married together superbly presenting a great album all round.

Also you could say her first three albums marked her into a world class superstar/pop icon early on too...Madonna, Like a Virgin and True Blue i often link together pretty much. Her debut for meshing Post-Disco sounds and New Wave/Punk vibes together, LAV for bringing Nile on baord and presenting a Disco/Funk/New Wave album in a more neater/sophisticated way....and True Blue for of coruse shwocasing her first true reinvention, for varying her themes and expressing her love at that point...also for having a very cinematic ear...while not one of my favourites you cannot deny the albums status shwocasing of where she was to go next :).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Life

One of the few albums I always return to and never get tired of it.