Options

'Waiting for Chryed to Get It On' - Christian & Syed (Part 243)

Comments

• Options
    momentarythingmomentarything Posts: 20,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, the salon job probably was the closest ....though did we ever see her work rather than just sit around gossiping?!
    BIB Haha! :D

BiB Um. Did she take one of Denise's eyebrows off once, or was that Chelsea?
  • Options
    elphaba7589elphaba7589 Posts: 74,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BiB Um. Did she take one of Denise's eyebrows off once, or was that Chelsea?

Not sure....I would watch the scene to check....but I don't want to! Annoyed that we had to watch that rather than see how Syed's shirt got all ruffled between 'I wanna hold your hand' and hebden bridge!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure....I would watch the scene to check....but I don't want to! Annoyed that we had to watch that rather than see how Syed's shirt got all ruffled between 'I wanna hold your hand' and hebden bridge!

BiB: But it sounds so thrilling. Ugh, that period was so good, though. I mean, Amira/Chelsea crap notwithstanding, obviously, but just thinking about Hebden Bridge makes me miss the days when EE could be good for, like, consecutive episodes and stuff.
  • Options
    Cal Me ALCal Me AL Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surreal wrote: »
    Another 1996 episode, back in the days when people talked rather than shout all the time.....................................but most importantly, there's a gay bar scene with Simon and Tony..........;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=VVtrlGpWJ-A

Watching these clips makes me realise the extent of the plot driven episodes we have these days........................*sighs*

Yeah. I think what's surprising about this clip too is the 'adult' themes these young people were dealing with and the way they dealt with them compared with the likes of Tyler, Anthony, Lauren, Lucy, and Whitney.

W/o the same in-depth discussions as this clip shows, the current EE lot's problems seem rather 'trivial'.
  • Options
    JoanneKJoanneK Posts: 25,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like EE might be moving to BBC 2 during Olympics

If true, not sure I'd want any wedding during then. Rating would be terrible and I don't want that for the wedding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cal Me AL wrote: »
    Yeah. I think what's surprising about this clip too is the 'adult' themes these young people were dealing with and the way they dealt with them compared with the likes of Tyler, Anthony, Lauren, Lucy, and Whitney.

W/o the same in-depth discussions as this clip shows, the current EE lot's problems seem rather 'trivial'.

It baffles me how they've gotten less brave as time's gone on. It seems counter-intuitive, but I guess when stuff was offensive/upsetting back then, people didn't have the power to make a huge fuss the way they can now. Nothing's actually changed in the audience- people aren't more sensitive nowadays than they were, it's just the minority who are over-sensitive have a platform to make their voices heard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BiB: But it sounds so thrilling. Ugh, that period was so good, though. I mean, Amira/Chelsea crap notwithstanding, obviously, but just thinking about Hebden Bridge makes me miss the days when EE could be good for, like, consecutive episodes and stuff.

This!!
    JoanneK wrote: »

If true, not sure I'd want any wedding during then. Rating would be terrible and I don't want that for the wedding.

Really don't want the wedding to be when the Olympics are on.....would be such a cop out because it would be clear EE had done it to basically 'hide' the gay wedding.
  • Options
    LovelyLauraLovelyLaura Posts: 50,041
    Forum Member
    Really don't want the wedding to be when the Olympics are on.....would be such a cop out because it would be clear EE had done it to basically 'hide' the gay wedding.

Probably will happen then :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably!! Wasn't the bed scene in an episode where EE was against a big BGT ep or have I imagined that?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh no :( I'd be so disappointed if they did that.
  • Options
    surrealsurreal Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This, absolutely! It's been quite a shock to remember just how good it was and how trivial as you say everything looks like these days.

Thank you!
    It baffles me how they've gotten less brave as time's gone on. It seems counter-intuitive, but I guess when stuff was offensive/upsetting back then, people didn't have the power to make a huge fuss the way they can now. Nothing's actually changed in the audience- people aren't more sensitive nowadays than they were, it's just the minority who are over-sensitive have a platform to make their voices heard.

Isn't it just! Same with the use of some words that these are considered offensive, like bl**dy which at the time it was used in EE when it fitted the character and scene. Crazy really!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wonder. It's really the sexual stuff that EE's gone out of their way to 'hide', while they've been consistently open about the love side of the equation- like the Proposal #1 was in a normal slot, while Proposal #2 clashed with BGT because of the bed scene. A CP will give them tons of publicity, while it won't be 'graphic' in any sense, so I do think they'll promote it widely, because it's the first in the show's history and could get them really good ratings.. But, then, EE's publicity department makes me want to weep, so who knows. They'll probably still manage to get Amira in the promo shots even if she's left by then.
  • Options
    Cal Me ALCal Me AL Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sadly, there are more media platforms to voice a complaint to as well, e.g. Mumsnet, Twitter...

In one of his interviews, BK said he wanted to take EE back to its roots. Well, that often involved doing gritty, 'offensive' or 'upsetting' stuff back then, not dipping your toe into something and out again because "it hurt a bit".

Billie being involved in a gang was a s/l crying out to be told. But what did BK do? Killed him off instead. Which raises another point: Modern gangster stuff is no longer the remit for the over 50s like Derek. Why BK thinks it should is beyond me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder. It's really the sexual stuff that EE's gone out of their way to 'hide', while they've been consistently open about the love side of the equation- like the Proposal #1 was in a normal slot, while Proposal #2 clashed with BGT because of the bed scene. A CP will give them tons of publicity, while it won't be 'graphic' in any sense, so I do think they'll promote it widely, because it's the first in the show's history and could get them really good ratings.. But, then, EE's publicity department makes me want to weep, so who knows. They'll probably still manage to get Amira in the promo shots even if she's left by then.

Yes, I do hope that they celebrate the wedding by promoting it, it's an event they should be proud of :) Though promo shots I'm expecting Syed one side, Christian the other.....and Yasmin, Amira, Zainab, Afia, Amy and Roxy stood between them :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably!! Wasn't the bed scene in an episode where EE was against a big BGT ep or have I imagined that?!

Yep, bed scene clashed with BGT so ratings were lower than usual.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get our Chryed wedding in the summer shoved on BBC2 when hardly anyone watches it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly, there are more media platforms to voice a complaint to as well, e.g. Mumsnet, Twitter...

In one of his interviews, BK said he wanted to take EE back to its roots. Well, that often involved doing gritty, 'offensive' or 'upsetting' stuff back then, not dipping your toe into something and out again because "it hurt a bit".

Billie being involved in a gang was a s/l crying out to be told. But what did BK do? Killed him off instead. Which raises another point: Modern gangster stuff is no longer the remit for the over 50s like Derek. Why BK thinks it should is beyond me.

And what about the Muslim element of Chryed, which has more or less been dropped. Apart from Syed going to another mosque, there will has been little follow up with regards to Syed and the Muslim community. I don't expect a documentary but I think the religion aspect has been overlooked for months now.
  • Options
    cooko94cooko94 Posts: 18,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, bed scene clashed with BGT so ratings were lower than usual.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we get our Chryed wedding in the summer shoved on BBC2 when hardly anyone watches it :rolleyes:

it would be like reunion with people going 'wait when did they get married(or back together in reunion case)' :sleep:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do hope that they celebrate the wedding by promoting it, it's an event they should be proud of :) Though promo shots I'm expecting Syed one side, Christian the other.....and Yasmin, Amira, Zainab, Afia, Amy and Roxy stood between them :sleep:

You forgot Anthony...it's a double wedding with Amira and Anthony. Chryed's wedding is off screen though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And what about the Muslim element of Chryed, which has more or less been dropped. Apart from Syed going to another mosque, there will has been little follow up with regards to Syed and the Muslim community. I don't expect a documentary but I think the religion aspect has been overlooked for months now.

So true. Religion was so important to the story but it really has been pretty much dropped these days.
    You forgot Anthony...it's a double wedding with Amira and Anthony. Chryed's wedding is off screen though.

Haha!! Wouldn't put it past EE!!
  • Options
    MadWorld_NESMadWorld_NES Posts: 37,961
    Forum Member
    Zainab and Masood do just seem to be like 'everything's fine now, let's just not talk about anything that's happened!' I think they're just blaming the whole breakdown of their relationship on Yusef, but it was the weaknesses in their relationship that meant he was able to break them up.

Best dream ever!! :D:D

I wish they'd dedicate as much time to Zainab and Masood's relationship as they do to Kalfie :(

It'd be brilliant if that happened in real life! :D I think it was just wishful thinking cos I was thinking last night about how much I wish the QAF con was in the UK :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cooko94 wrote: »
    it would be like reunion with people going 'wait when did they get married(or back together in reunion case)' :sleep:

Yep, lots and lots of tweets asking when they got married :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Or Eamon Holmes will say that the love triangle has finally come to an end! :sleep:

I'd be shocked if we got a joint interview with both Johnny and Marc for the CP. I don't know why there's been such an absence of joint promo, it can only be a good thing surely?
  • Options
    surrealsurreal Posts: 13,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Great posts!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wait. Syed's a Muslim?!
    I wish they'd dedicate as much time to Zainab and Masood's relationship as they do to Kalfie :(

It'd be brilliant if that happened in real life! :D I think it was just wishful thinking cos I was thinking last night about how much I wish the QAF con was in the UK :D

I know. :( For me, Zainab/Masood are the only couple who can rival Christian/Syed. Well, not really. :sleep: But objectively, Zainab and Masood are (or were- they've been massively ruined by the Yusef stuff for me) amazing. I feel like Nitin was so wasted last year, and while Nina got a ton of screentime, it was mostly stuff I didn't enjoy... I hope they can bring them back. Hopefully with Zainab and Masood being a little more accepting of Christian these days, we'll get back to the Masoods I used to really love.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,326
    Forum Member
    Afternoon! Hope everyone's having a better Sunday than me. The water has been cut off in my street cos of a burst pipe and won't be back until tomorrow at the earliest cos according to Thames Water "it's not a priority" :mad: I'm sure they'll understand when I give the same reason for not paying my water bill:sleep:

The way things are going she'll still be there, trying to stop the wedding and only failing cos the car Anthony buys her to get to the venue isn't good enough or something:rolleyes: Or if she has left, the episode will probably feature loads of flashbacks to her and Syed's wedding:rolleyes: My expectations honestly couldn't be lower at this point:(
This discussion has been closed.