Options

Why I had to leave Corbyn’s dysfunctional shadow cabinet

i4ui4u Posts: 55,007
Forum Member
Not me! But Heidi Alexander the former Shadow Health Secretary, who really lets rip at Corbyn's style of leadership...
The leader of the opposition must be willing to engage, take difficult decisions and know their own mind. The absence of these qualities forced me to resign...

I hated being a member of Jeremy’s shadow cabinet – because it was entirely dysfunctional.

It wasn’t good enough for the leader to routinely defer to his shadow chancellor when confronted with a difficult decision – a shadow chancellor who on three separate occasions undermined my efforts to agree collective positions on health matters.

It wasn’t good enough for the leader to say one thing to me, only for his political secretary to phone a day later and say: “He may have said that, but I know what he really thinks.”

It wasn’t good enough for the leader to read his position from a typed up script at shadow cabinet meetings discussing the prospect of military action against Isis in Syria or the EU referendum.

And it wasn’t good enough that whenever he appeared on TV, his description of a process, or his analysis of a problem, ended in confusion or despair on the party’s position – article 50, counterterrorism, “7.5 out of 10” on Brexit.

I wasn’t part of a plot. I wasn’t part of a coup. I had tried hard to make it work. A leader who had been willing to engage, support and take difficult decisions, and had been able to build a team, might have made it work. But we didn’t have one.

Comments

• Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All sweetness and light in the Labour camp. Hmmmmm!!!
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,007
    Forum Member
    She confirms Corbyn has to get others to make decisions for him and like we've seen with the media he can be difficult to talk to.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not a ringing endorsement then.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Not a ringing endorsement then.

Why would she start now?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Not me! But Heidi Alexander the former Shadow Health Secretary, who really lets rip at Corbyn's style of leadership...

I was horrified when I read her account especially at McDonnell acting as Corbyn's mouth piece.
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes him sound useless.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    I was horrified when I read her account especially at McDonnell acting as Corbyn's mouth piece.

McDonnell is shifty. I don't know why the media haven't gone on the attack regarding him, yet. Maybe they are saving it for the GE.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,110
    Forum Member
    They are both shifty
  • Options
    hoppyuppyhoppyuppy Posts: 10,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are both shifty

Personal gain and money making appears to be their sole motivation. Effing hypocrites.
  • Options
    snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,110
    Forum Member
    Not sure what motivates Mr Corbyn
  • Options
    hufflestuffhufflestuff Posts: 2,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure what motivates Mr Corbyn

He'd like to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    But not by drinking US imperialist colas.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MP who wants Corbyn out writes anti-Corbyn article. Quelle surprise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All from the same hymn book in his broad church :D
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MP who wants Corbyn out writes anti-Corbyn article. Quelle surprise.

I don't know if you heard about the vote of no confidence but almost all Labour MPs want Corbyn out. It's only the Tory MPs who want him to stay :D
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    I don't know if you heard about the vote of no confidence but almost all Labour MPs want Corbyn out. It's only the Tory MPs who want him to stay :D

Have they all paid to vote though?? ;):blush::D
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heidi Alexander should be quiet. Women are to be seen and not heard in the Labour party. Preferably not either (unless they used to sleep with Corbyn).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amaretto2 wrote: »
    Heidi Alexander should be quiet. Women are to be seen and not heard in the Labour party. Preferably not either (unless they used to sleep with Corbyn).
    Arrrrrgggghhhh. Please Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!