Options

bbc receives complaints

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,038
    Forum Member
    I guess I understand why they complained. You get people moaning when planned events like the world Cup and Wimbledon (or snooker) are on and if they over run or anything so your bound to get people moaning when something like this happened.

Personally I had no problems with it. I didn't want to watch it but my friend did and sat and watched it whilst I read my book and came online. But your going to get complaints no matter what it is.
  • Options
    BUBBLE BATHBUBBLE BATH Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im not suprised. You know that when Diana died there were peoplewho complained when the Sunday Eastenders was cancelled and that was on the actual day of her death!

People even complained about the 9/11 coverage which I find disgusting considering that was probably the biggest news event since the assaination of JFK:rolleyes:

Some people are just very self absorbed and think only the TV shows that they want to watch should be shown.
  • Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only caught the 1st 15mins or so PG & TN were hilarious. They were trying to fill in the huge gaps while everything got going. PG was talking in hushed reverential tones and spouting random sales figures of records. The best bit was after a period of nothing happening TN says apparently this is actually meant to be a moment of silence for MJ. So PG says lets have some silence here as well then and then after about 5 secs a producer must have said we can't have this just broadcasting not saying anyting so TN pipes up again with another inane comment!

Where was Terry Wogan - he'd have done a great job:D
  • Options
    Rob!!3Rob!!3 Posts: 1,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What they expect BBC to ignore it. They did the main news stories before hand. Oh by the way MJ memorial happening. So when the queen dies. They will have complaints too. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine if it was your job to respond to these moronic idiots?

Oh the fun you could have...!
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rob!!3 wrote: »
    What they expect BBC to ignore it. They did the main news stories before hand. Oh by the way MJ memorial happening. So when the queen dies. They will have complaints too. ;)
    They will if she inconsiderately pops off on Doctor Who day :D
  • Options
    grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    I think its hilarious that some hypocrites think they speak for the majority of TV License payers.

Given my other half pays that one, and given she only watches Eastenders on the Beeb, then Im sure she is on the opposite side, and believes the BBC is justified in showing it... and I agree with her.

I watched it, and they did a very good job.

Finally something I could watch on the BBC that actually interested me.

A shame it was under those circumstances. :( RIP Michael.
  • Options
    IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be nothing, nothing I tells ya, more important on the telly than watching DT regenerate! The only clog popping allowed in that timeslot is the Tenth Doctor!
  • Options
    BinnmanBinnman Posts: 4,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps, were you to read the article quoted in the link, you'd realise the reason behind the complaint(s)

The reason that the quoted person complained was entirely about why the BBC felt the need to cover the thing in the first place.

There were several free to view stations covering the event.

The basis of the complaint(s) would appear to be the spending of "public" money to cover something which was already being "done" by commercially funded stations.

As a licence payer, they have every right to question just how their money is being spent, particularly in the current financial climate.

Binnman
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    I think the only reason it neded to be on multiple channels was for the commentaries.

Sky news had some stuffy journo ("apparently a young man called Usher's on later, he's very popular with today's youth") whilst BBC 2 has Trevor Nelson and Paul Gambaccini, two of the most knowledgable music broadcasters in the BBC. So I went with the latter.

Sky News never had commentary, they had Kay "The Bitch" Burley before and after but not during.

I think the commentary on BBC2 ruined it slightly, Trevor seemed to have changed his tune from the guy who said he didn't want to meet him because he was worried for his kids and Paul gambaccini spent a couple of hours downplaying the role MJ played in music history the day of his death.

Thankfully Sky gave the memorial the respect it deserved and didn't have people speaking over it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member

Imagine if it was right before EastEnders, there'd be riots! :eek: :D
  • Options
    Uncle FesterUncle Fester Posts: 15,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry peeps , but the whole media has been so OTT since his death , not every one cared one iota :yawn:
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who in their right mind complains about a one-off TV event? I'm going to write in asking for a repeat as I missed most of it.

The BBC is a no-go zone for me during Wimbledon but I accept others want to feast on it.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    Sweet FA wrote: »
    Who in their right mind complains about a one-off TV event?

People who are always wanting to climb on some bullsh'it!
    I'm going to write in asking for a repeat as I missed most of it.

Yay for that! It was incredibly moving in parts!
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who in their right mind complains about a one-off TV event?

I'm going to write in asking for a repeat as I missed most of it.
    And then the masses will write on complaining about repeats :D:D

And the Queen had better not die this week, I'm getting right into Torchwood :eek:
  • Options
    BUBBLE BATHBUBBLE BATH Posts: 849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry peeps , but the whole media has been so OTT since his death , not every one cared one iota :yawn:

Thats fair enough. But you don't have to watch the coverage. There are plenty of other TV channels to watch.

Its only one off. There are hardly any global superstars left now, so until The Queen, Macca and Madge snuff it your viewing won't be interupted;)
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Toggler wrote: »
    Where was Terry Wogan - he'd have done a great job:D

Genius! Deffo the man for the job! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I had recorded it but didn't, either i did something wrong or .... well never mind. Does anyone know where I can see it? I have surfed internet and found extracts but I want to see it all, iplayer doesn't have it. Thanks (I did post the same request before but can't remember what thread:o).
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a tacky, cringe worthy spectacle that didn't need to be on more than one channel but there was other stuff on to watch. Ringing up the Beeb to complain is just pointless. It's not as if it's going to happen again! (Unless Paul McCartney snuffs it anytime soon).
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So what? At least a billion people did, so it was for those people that it was shown. I don't like soaps, football or Wimbledon - so I just don't watch them;).
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what? At least a billion people did, so it was for those people that it was shown. I don't like soaps, football or Wimbledon - so I just don't watch them;).

Can't please eveyone huh RS.;):)