Options

Im looking for a good survival book to read

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
Forum Member
✭✭
I only read non fiction and i really like survival stories. Stuff about people trekking through the jungle or being shipwrecked etc Anybody no any good reads?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    I recently read In the Heart of the Sea: the Epic True Story that Inspired Moby Dick by Nathaniel Philbrick. It's about a whaleship that was attacked by a whale and the fate of those aboard.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Either Scott or Shackleton, the latter is the greater hero and survivalist in my opinion.
    Try one or more of these; probably available from your local library.
    Alexander, Caroline (1998). Endurance. London: Bloomsbury. ISBN 0-7475-4123-X.
    Barczewski, Stephanie (2007). Antarctic Destiny: Scott, Shackleton and the changing face of heroism. London: Hambledon Continuum. ISBN 978-1-84725-192-3.
    Crane, David (2005). Scott of the Antarctic. London: Harper Collins. ISBN 978-0-00-715068-7.
    Fiennes, Ranulph (2003). Captain Scott. Hodder & Stoughton Ltd. ISBN 0-340-82697-5.
    Fisher, Marjorie and James (1957). Shackleton. James Barrie Books Ltd.
    Huntford, Roland (1985). Shackleton. London: Hodder & Stoughton. ISBN 0-340-25007-0.
    Jones, Max (2003). The Last Great Quest. Oxford: OUP. ISBN 0-19-280483-9.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

O.K. I didn't read your post properly...this is fiction..sorry!
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Touching the Void by Joe Simpson.

Adrift. 76 days Lost at Sea by Steven Callahan

Both fantastic accounts of survival, the sheer will to live when most of us would just curl up and go to sleep.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanx Folks!:D
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lisalee23 wrote: »
    I only read non fiction and i really like survival stories. Stuff about people trekking through the jungle or being shipwrecked etc Anybody no any good reads?

What's wrong with fiction?:confused:
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Read The Kon-Tiki Expedition by Thor Heyerdahl recently and loved it. Might not be survivalist enough for you but a great adventure story.

Lost Boy No More by Abrihim Nhial and Diann Mills is good.
  • Options
    CamisCamis Posts: 13,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Touching the Void by Joe Simpson.

This was going to be my suggestion as well - a great read.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really really strongly recommend Nando Parrado's account of the Uruguayan rugby team plane crash, Miracle in the Andes. It's so well written, and it's extremely inspiring and uplifting. Very detailed and more than a bit scary though. I couldn't put it down, it's really gripping. It's much better than the more well known version of the story, Alive (by Piers Paul Read) although that is well worth a read too.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Miracle-Andes-Nando-Parrado/dp/0752881345

And I second the the suggestion of Shackleton's story - really inspiring too, although I found it quite heavy going at times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    A couple of shipwrecks -

The Wreck of the "Batavia": A True Story - Simon Leys

17th Century Dutch East Indiaman wrecked off the coast of Australia, followed by mutiny and marooning.

The Caliban Shore - Stephen Taylor

18th Century British ship wrecked on the East African Coast, and the fate of the survivors.

Both books well reviewed and good reads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    A couple of shipwrecks -

The Wreck of the "Batavia": A True Story - Simon Leys

17th Century Dutch East Indiaman wrecked off the coast of Australia, followed by mutiny and marooning.

That might be a perfectly good book, but I haven't read it, although I probably will now. :o

I meant to post -

Batavia's Graveyard - Mike Dash, which I have read, and would recommend. :)