Options

Coronation Street Tour

Comments

• Options
    Charley Says...Charley Says... Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arrgghhh....!!! >:(

Don't get me wrong I am going too in May but today...

2... Yes TWO... 52 seater coaches blocking up the road...

Not amused...!!!
  • Options
    iGeek2014iGeek2014 Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which interior sets do we get to see? Just The Rovers, The Platt's, Carla's apartment and Martha's Barge?

And can you walk around inside the houses on the back lot? Know they are empty shells... Just wondered!
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iGeek2014 wrote: »
    Which interior sets do we get to see? Just The Rovers, The Platt's, Carla's apartment and Martha's Barge?

And can you walk around inside the houses on the back lot? Know they are empty shells... Just wondered!

You also get to see the set of Tyrone's house (the old Duckworth's home) and the factory (which was pretty large, compared to the others which are tiny).

You can't go into the houses but you can walk down the 'ginnel', which leads to the back yards and some of the gates are open too, so you can go into the various yards.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Is the Aliens ride still there? :D
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    Can anyone tell me what sort of souvenirs are available for purchase?
    I'm assuming there's a shop to buy stuff.
    Only one week till my visit:)
  • Options
    good_girlgood_girl Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    We're off to do the tour in a couple of weeks, and we've booked into a hotel a few miles away.

Does anyone know if it's possible to park anywhere near the Tour?

We're not locals at all and don't really want to rely on public transport as one of us has limited mobility. Don't really want to go back to hotel to pick up cars at end of day so it would be ideal if there was parking at (or very near) the tour

Anyone any experience?
  • Options
    Martyn1Martyn1 Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good_girl wrote: »
    We're off to do the tour in a couple of weeks, and we've booked into a hotel a few miles away.

We're not locals at all and don't really want to rely on public transport as one of us has limited mobility. Don't really want to go back to hotel to pick up cars at end of day so it would be ideal if there was parking at (or very near) the tour

Anyone any experience?

Theres a car park on water street (as far as i know, facing the old 'Granada studios tour' entrance)....I know a lot of people parked there when granada did audiance tickets for shows recorded there, before they stopped recording shows there lastyear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Glad you enjoyed it. Were going in July, taking the in-laws when they come over to stay! How long was the tour in total?

We're going in July too..exciting :)
  • Options
    tinyditinydi Posts: 358
    Forum Member
    good_girl wrote: »

Anyone any experience?

Which hotel are you staying at?.. Also you say one of you has limited mobility, does this person have a blue badge for the car?. If so there are some disabled spaces near to Granada studio..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to wake this thread up but I've written my own personal blog about my experience of the Tour.

http://coronationstreetthetour2014.blogspot.co.uk

Thank you for taking the time to have a look!
  • Options
    BethaneenyBethaneeny Posts: 10,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going in late July :)

Definately want a photo pulling a pint/being behind the bar, as I work behind a bar :)
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,940
    Forum Member
    Sorry to wake this thread up but I've written my own personal blog about my experience of the Tour.

Brilliant blog entry, really informative, thanks for sharing.
    Going at the start of May, even more excited now.
  • Options
    tawetawe Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend and I have booked a coach trip for september 10th from south wales, we are staying 2 nights in the Manchester Brittania hotel. Really looking forwards to it, and even more excited now after reading peoples posts on here.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant blog entry, really informative, thanks for sharing.
    Going at the start of May, even more excited now.

Thank you. I notice (with the help of a good mate) I've made a couple of typing mistakes which I need to correct.

I'll add my Flickr feed tomorrow to the blog with a selection of pictures I've taken.

To those are going, you will love it.... I liked it that much I am considering returning in a couple of months time!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As promised: my Flickr feed complete with photos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As promised: my Flickr feed complete with photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/peakdistrictphotos014/sets/72157644018714305
  • Options
    Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    As promised: my Flickr feed complete with photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/peakdistrictphotos014/sets/72157644018714305

I have never seen the street looking so busy!...............what a shame they didn't have some washing on Gail's washing line (I think its Gail's garden isn't it?) they could have pegged out a couple of roll-neck jumpers and a blazer or two :p

Brilliant photos IGeek thanks for sharing them :) it looks like you had a wonderful day.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It wasn't a barge. It was a narrow boat:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy Lou wrote: »
    I have never seen the street looking so busy!...............what a shame they didn't have some washing on Gail's washing line (I think its Gail's garden isn't it?) they could have pegged out a couple of roll-neck jumpers and a blazer or two :p

Brilliant photos IGeek thanks for sharing them :) it looks like you had a wonderful day.

That's Gail's garden, yes. I only saw a couple of washing pegs in one of the backyards (they appear in the opening credits!)

But no problem, I did thank you. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

Wonderful. I am going tomorrow, can't wait.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My daughter brought home a brochure for the Corrie tour as she thought I'd like to go. I am thinking about it and may go in Sept. If I can find a friend to go with me. Loads are Corrie fans so shouldn't be a prob. I think it will be a good laugh.

The hotel you stay in on our tour is the Mercure Norton Grange at Rochdale. 4 *
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    I did the tour last week and so enjoyed it. The only snag was our tour guide, who I think may have been the same one the OP had. For some reason she seemed to think we had come on the tour to see her, not the sets. She was very rehearsed plus some "impromptu" asides; did a director really ring her in the middle of our tour to badger her to go out with him for a drink .... I think not. We were raced past the barge set as if we were in training for the London marathon, quite why we weren't allowed a proper look I really have no idea.
    We had a chat with one of the other guides when we were out on the cobbles and he was far more interesting - our guide had disappeared by that time.

The souvenir shop was a bit disappointing, but I did get the tee-shirt!

Overall, I enjoyed the experience and would recommend it to anybody, just good luck with your guide.

One other thing, we found the restaurant run by the actress who plays Fiz, it's off St Anne's Square, and can really recommend it for breakfast.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    I did the tour last week and so enjoyed it. The only snag was our tour guide, who I think may have been the same one the OP had. For some reason she seemed to think we had come on the tour to see her, not the sets. She was very rehearsed plus some "impromptu" asides; did a director really ring her in the middle of our tour to badger her to go out with him for a drink .... I think not. We were raced past the barge set as if we were in training for the London marathon, quite why we weren't allowed a proper look I really have no idea.
    We had a chat with one of the other guides when we were out on the cobbles and he was far more interesting - our guide had disappeared by that time.

The souvenir shop was a bit disappointing, but I did get the tee-shirt!

Overall, I enjoyed the experience and would recommend it to anybody, just good luck with your guide.

One other thing, we found the restaurant run by the actress who plays Fiz, it's off St Anne's Square, and can really recommend it for breakfast.

Emma, our guide was called - pleasant but, as you said, very staged, and highly irritating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just back from the tour.

Great value and a real must for any Corrie fan past or present.

Starts of with a sit in the green room before you go into the dressed sets. I urge you to have your photo taken at the Rovers bar, it's a once in a lifetime opportunity and the photos do come out really well.

Then it's out onto the most famous cobbles in the world. Very surreal actually being there and seeing the houses, shops and the infamous back ginnel.

Well worth the £16.50

Our guide was Paul, very down to earth and not at all coming across as trying to be an actor, more of an avid fan.
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    Emma, our guide was called - pleasant but, as you said, very staged, and highly irritating.

Yup, I think this was the woman we got as well. I was there last Sunday and although she was very pleasant - she seemed completely scripted. I can't really describe it exactly. It was like she was trying to make out that she actually worked on the show and was a massive fan - yet she just told us stuff that we already knew. The jokes were also totally scripted and embarrassing. The facts and questions were abit laughable - "Can anybody tell me, what happened on December 3rd 1960?" Jeez, that's a hard one!!

I spoke to her later on and asked her if she worked on the show. She replied yes, but didn't really allude to what she did exactly. I then started asking her more specific questions, to which she brushed over almost robotically and then started saying how big the new set was and how the Rovers has a new upstairs window - yes I already know that. Anybody who does a quick Google search knows that and how it was originally going to be called Florizel Street. There was also a strange part when she kept saying that we were going to actually be getting a drink the the Rovers.

About 5 times, she referred to this "drink", particularly as the studio was like a sauna inside. However, this drink never materialised. Yet again, it was just part of the script.

I noticed there was a male tour guide leading the group in front of us and he sounded genuinely clued up on the show and interested.

As for the tour itself... I have very mixed feelings about it. I was initially thrilled to actually walk through those gates, after standing outside many times looking for stars and waiting for autographs - wishing that I could go in.

It was far too rushed and in parts felt quite desperate and in bad taste. They had snippets of information but we had absolutely no time to read and digest the information. The green room had a letter on the wall from the Prime Minister but we were ushered out of there in no time to read it. We were shown a 5-10 minute video - which was just complied of clips that we've seen a million times before.

What struck me the most was how small Gail's house was and how basic and dated the place really was - from the dressing rooms to the VT equipment that looked well 80's. In parts, the tour seemed quite naff. To be honest, I would rather have seen more sets than cheap exhibits like Rita's wedding dress from 1972 and Roy's actual train set - woooow! Martha Fraser's barge? Eh, that was a random one... I was hoping to see something like Roy's Rolls instead.

Then there was the delight of seeing Haley's coffin and plaques from characters of years gone by... Pretty rubbish really. It was brilliant to see the Rovers and sit on those actual seats. I also noticed the the back bit and living room, however we never got to see that and were again rushed out as quick as possible. Not until we were called up one by one to get our photos taken for £10 a time :)

I felt there was so much more potential. What about the chance to actually walk in Gail's front door and walk in the Rovers? A chance to interact more with the sets.

Anyway, the highlight and part that truly made the experience was getting to walk on the Street itself. That didn't disappoint. The Street saved the day. As for the rest, I just felt that as little effort has gone into it as possible, for the most return profit they could make. Ofcourse, I did end up buying the £10 photo of us in the Rovers lol ;)