Options

Should employers fire staff just because they wear tatoo

Comments

• Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having tattoos is no different to having your own choice of hairstyle.
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    So if you worked in a bank on the counter and you had a whole face tattoo you think it would be unreasonable to be fired?

Assuming that the tattooed person is otherwise competent at their job then yes it would be unreasonable because the bank would be firing someone because of their appearance and not their ability to do the job. I can understand if it was a Nazi/swastika tattoo or something similar among those lines though.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Like lots of people have tattoos of Willis??

What you talking about... Willis?
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Having tattoos is no different to having your own choice of hairstyle.

And, similarly, some employers have rules on what hairstyles are or are not acceptable - think armed forces, airline cabin crew, restaurant waiting staff etc.

Many employers wish to project a certain corporate image and have corresponding rules about the appearance of customer-facing staff. I think it does depend on the job that the individual is doing, so a waiter at Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons may get fired for getting a visible tattoo, whereas a chef in the same establishment wouldn't.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would want to hire people with common sense. Tattoos in certain places such as the face or neck would indicate a lack of common sense.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should employers fire staff just because they wear tatoo

No. However, they should be required to remove the offending bodypart before attending work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And, similarly, some employers have rules on what hairstyles are or are not acceptable - think armed forces, airline cabin crew, restaurant waiting staff etc.

Many employers wish to project a certain corporate image and have corresponding rules about the appearance of customer-facing staff. I think it does depend on the job that the individual is doing, so a waiter at Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons may get fired for getting a visible tattoo, whereas a chef in the same establishment wouldn't.

In most of those cases they are applying the same arbitrary rules. In the armed forces short hair is a practical consideration and when handling food a net might be a good idea.
    Tattoos once healed are never a hygiene matter so those rules don't apply when cooking or fighting leaving us with just an opinion on style, like your own haircut.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In most of those cases they are applying the same arbitrary rules. In the armed forces short hair is a practical consideration and when handling food a net might be a good idea.
    Tattoos once healed are never a hygiene matter so those rules don't apply when cooking or fighting leaving us with just an opinion on style, like your own haircut.

having certain tattoo's in the armed forces is a no no so i hear as it identifies you with a certain nation which is never good should you get captured
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's hardly an arbitrary rule if an employer states 'No visible tattoos', is it? It's quite specific.

As I said, an employer may wish to project a particular corporate image and that image may have accompanying rules about hair style and length as well as tattoos, piercings and dress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    having certain tattoo's in the armed forces is a no no so i hear as it identifies you with a certain nation which is never good should you get captured

I'm pretty sure the uniform will be a dead giveaway in a combat situation. ;-)

Mind you, it is difficult to get into Sandhurst with tattoos; they are not seen as 'officer-like, apparently.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    If an employer doesn't want to hire someone who has tattoos then that should be their prerogative.

In many roles, it may not make any difference, and they may end up missing out on having an excellent employee - but banning employers from 'discriminating' on such grounds would be nonsense.

I agree with this. If a certain 'dress code' is expected then having tattoos will detract from your employability. On the other hand if you want to work in a trendy shop having a tatt might be an advantage. People should think carefully before they ink themselves permanently and damage their future prospects.

You can't turn up for a job interview in for a conservative/corporate type of job with a pink mohican haircut and imagine that you are going to land the job however well qualified you are but at least you can grow out an outlandish haircut.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty heavily inked, yet it's never hampered my employability or relationships with senior management.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if they are (a) offensive and (b) in a visible place like the neck or face.

I certainly wouldn't want to get fired due to having non-offensive tattoos on my feet (which you can only see if I'm wearing flip flops, and I wouldn't wear those at work).
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    Everything like this is open, if i turn up at work with a small tatoo of a butterfly on my arm it'll be nothing but if i tattoo the number 8 on each side of my face then i'm probably going to be in trouble especially if i have to meet jewish people (88 = HH = Hiel Hitler)
    88 = Heil Hitler?
    Excuse me, but I think you'll find that's "two fat ladies"!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    So if you worked in a bank on the counter and you had a whole face tattoo you think it would be unreasonable to be fired?

If you worked in a bank would it be fair to fire you if you had a facial disfigurement?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you worked in a bank would it be fair to fire you if you had a facial disfigurement?
    Are you comparing the two?
    Equality/diversity policies aren't in place to promote fairness for self inflicted disfigurement are they?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Are you comparing the two?
    Equality/diversity policies aren't in place to promote fairness for self inflicted disfigurement are they?

Why what either matter if that person is more than capable of carrying out a job? Do you think people would be put off my a facial tattoo? If so why? Unless as I said if it was an offensive tattoo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's hardly an arbitrary rule if an employer states 'No visible tattoos', is it? It's quite specific.

As I said, an employer may wish to project a particular corporate image and that image may have accompanying rules about hair style and length as well as tattoos, piercings and dress.

It's entirely arbitrary, look up the meaning, it doesn't mean non - specific. There's no reason such as hygiene, impairment or inability involved, just taste. The only possible reason is that some customers may act irrationally and avoid your business due to some tattoos, which is arbitrary in itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's entirely arbitrary, look up the meaning, it doesn't mean non - specific. There's no reason such as hygiene, impairment or inability involved, just taste. The only possible reason is that some customers may act irrationally and avoid your business due to some tattoos, which is arbitrary in itself.

Meh. People get hired on 'arbitrary' criteria all the time. If you want to maximise your chances of getting hired in many jobs, then don't make yourself look ridiculous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I've got a fair amount of tattoos, one being over a foot in length, but I seem to manage OK in a corporate environment, as I haven't gone as far to get "ACAB" inked on my forehead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, but I think they should sack them for being barely literate.

I don't think he has a job to be sacked from:)
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a fair amount of tattoos, one being over a foot in length, but I seem to manage OK in a corporate environment, as I haven't gone as far to get "ACAB" inked on my forehead.

Where may I ask is your tattoo?
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may have put this in another post about tattoos, I'm not sure, maybe I recall telling someone about it.
    I had my car serviced at a local garage, where I have known the owner for years.
    I went to pick it up, and pay for it, and he invited me in for coffee and a chat in his office.
    While I was there, one of his mechanics came in and said that there was a woman downstairs who had come about the ad for a receptionist.
    She came up and entered the office, she was a nice looking lady, late thirties I'd guess, and smartly dressed in a leather jacket and knee length skirt.
    My friend Andy asked her to sit down, and offered her a coffee.
    As he did this, he nudged me and nodded in the direction of her legs.
    One leg was multi coloured with a tattoo from knee to ankle.
    He told her that he'd offered the job to someone else, who was thinking it over, but asked her to leave her phone number in case the other person decided against taking the job.
    When she left, he said to me, "Was she sure? Can you imagine coming in here to get some work done, or maybe buy a car, and seeing that on the front line, on reception?
    That's the last thing I think a prospective customer would want to to see."
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may have put this in another post about tattoos, I'm not sure, maybe I recall telling someone about it.
    I had my car serviced at a local garage, where I have known the owner for years.
    I went to pick it up, and pay for it, and he invited me in for coffee and a chat in his office.
    While I was there, one of his mechanics came in and said that there was a woman downstairs who had come about the ad for a receptionist.
    She came up and entered the office, she was a nice looking lady, late thirties I'd guess, and smartly dressed in a leather jacket and knee length skirt.
    My friend Andy asked her to sit down, and offered her a coffee.
    As he did this, he nudged me and nodded in the direction of her legs.
    One leg was multi coloured with a tattoo from knee to ankle.
    He told her that he'd offered the job to someone else, who was thinking it over, but asked her to leave her phone number in case the other person decided against taking the job.
    When she left, he said to me, "Was she sure? Can you imagine coming in here to get some work done, or maybe buy a car, and seeing that on the front line, on reception?
    That's the last thing I think a prospective customer would want to to see."

Bloke sounds like a bigoted arsehole.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    No, and they shouldn't fire them for listening to Tatu either.

(I think I've made a similar joke before...)