Options

cat with cut under his tongue

CLA29CLA29 Posts: 410
Forum Member
Hi all. My cat hasn't been eating much for a few days.
Last night I saw him trying to eat and he was crying with pain. Took him to vets and it took 3 of us to look in his mouth and somehow he's cut his tongue where it attaches to his mouth. It was pretty shocking to see and the vet had never seen it before. He thought that he's eaten something sharp or been scrapping with another cat or maybe a creature that he'd caught. He had an antibiotic injection and pain relief.

Just hoping now that it heals and that he can eat more. Going back next week. Vet did warn that it could be something more ominous, but seeing how he gets on this week first.

He's 13 so I'm getting stressed whenever he's off colour, thinking its the end.

Comments

• Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor puss, that's nasty for him
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hope your cat gets better soon. Poor thing that sounds nasty.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks we are doing well today. Managed to get small very moist food down him. He finds it quite difficult to pick the food up with his poorly tongue.
    He does seem to have cheered up though.
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least he's eating which is good. They are a worry when they're poorly.
  • Options
    FairyFeet1964FairyFeet1964 Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah bless him, hopefully the medicine will work it's magic for him, wishing him a speedy recovery x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hi all. It turns out that it wasn't just a cut. There was a tumour under there too. Oral squamous cell carcinoma.
    Vet eventually spotted it and after the results of the biopsy, told me he should be put to sleep. Because I'd been reading online about it I'd heard of different pain relief that I wanted to try and give him another couple of weeks, I found a referral hospital down the road. We went on Thursday and saw a lovely Guy who said it was low grade and could be lasered off. I didn't believe it at first cos my vet said it couldn't be removed. So the hospital sedated him and found the tumour had gone further into the tongue so they removed half his tongue containing it. Got him back this morning. He has a feeding tube at the moment and if he starts to eat again then he'll be fine and we will potentially have years more together.

I spent two weeks thinking I was losing my cat. I cried so much. Really annoyed at my vet as he never suggested any options and never mentioned this referral place. He knew we had insurance. Good thing too as this op cost 2300 pounds.
    Sorry this is a long post, just really want to say always get a second opinion and if you can get insurance
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope he makes a full recovery, and well done!
  • Options
    ktboilsktboils Posts: 494
    Forum Member
    Oh good on you! Wishing you both all the best. xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just saw you had updated and bless his little cotton socks he has been through an ordeal but I know you are doing the best for him and just wanted to send best wishes to both of you xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah thank you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It didn't turn out so well. The tumour has come back. He'd been doing so well, learning to eat and drink again. Then he started drooling again and the vet could see something on his tongue. We hoped it might be granulation tissue, but the biopsy results came in on Friday and I've been in floods of tears. He's still eating, but needs encouragement. There's nothing that can be done. Now going through the agony of trying to decide when to pts. I don't want him to suffer, but then I don't want to take him too soon. He's not himself, I'm just so worried that I'm being selfish
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I'm really sorry to hear your news. It's very stressful deciding the 'right' time to say good-bye to a beloved pet. I think you will know when the time comes and your cat is just not himself anymore.

My cat also had cancer and had received a lot of treatment until the vets said there was no more they could do. I couldn't let her be put to sleep while she was still lively, exploring the garden, toileting in her usual spot outside, purring when stroked and expressing interest in life. The vets called me daily for updates during her last few days at home - they wanted to check that she was still drinking, if not eating much. On her last evening she was outside in the garden, I brought her up to my bedroom where she stayed the whole night. The next morning she just lay on the bed and wouldn't get up - I had her at the vet within a couple of hours (it would have been even sooner but I was waiting for my friend to come with me). She made herself comfortable on my lap during the car journey, looking out the window at the trees we passed :cry: I just knew it was the right time and I don't believe she suffered except for all her earlier repeated visits to the vet, injections, drips, tests and even major surgery that she had endured without fuss (in my opinion though the vets labelled her 'feisty').

I'm really sorry to read your news but I do completely understand what you are currently going through. As a nurse who has cared for countless dying patients I considered euthanasia to be a really cold, 'planned' and clinical procedure but as long as you are emotionally ready and know it is 'time' then the process is not nearly as bad as you fear - I am not sure if you have had previous experience of it with other pets?

I don't think it is selfish to care for your cat in his last few days or weeks while he is still enjoying his life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I've only been through it with family pets when I was younger and my poor mum did all the necessary.
    I saw what happened last month before the surgery, though it feels like such a long time ago. He deteriorated rapidly and couldn't eat and I just don't want him to get to that stage.
  • Options
    MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't leave my cat alone once I knew she could deteriorate at any point. My mum came over to stay with me (from Ireland) allowing me to continue working but I also took lots of extra annual leave and cancelled a holiday abroad. I took a lot of photos of her but I still find it quite difficult to look at them - I'm still really glad I took them. I devoted nearly all my time and energy to caring for Tabitha at the end, almost ignoring my other cat who took refuge in my mum's company.

I think once your cats stops eating, that's the point from which there is probably no return. My Tabitha wouldn't touch any food at all in her last 24 hours or so. It was time to let her go.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so sorry to hear your news, I really feel for you and all I can say is cherish the time you have left together, keeping you both in my thoughts xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for ur kind words. He's not had a good day and struggled to eat. The drooling is pretty bad. We've got painkillers but I'm worried he's still in pain. Cats hide that sort of thing. I just wish I knew if he was hurting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Thats very sad news for you.I hope your o.k.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've not been up to posting again in the last couple of weeks. Just wanted to say that he was pts on the 28th August. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make and the saddest day of my life.
    I miss him so much. The house is so empty without him. I still can't quite believe that he's gone.

I'd had him cremated and today I buried his ashes in the garden with all his toys and his brush, which he loved. It's in one of the flower beds where he used to sunbathe, so he can sleep in the sun forever.
  • Options
    bumbarbumbar Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    That`s really nice of you.Do you think you will be up to getting another pet in time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLA29 wrote: »
    I've not been up to posting again in the last couple of weeks. Just wanted to say that he was pts on the 28th August. It was the hardest decision I've ever had to make and the saddest day of my life.
    I miss him so much. The house is so empty without him. I still can't quite believe that he's gone.

I'd had him cremated and today I buried his ashes in the garden with all his toys and his brush, which he loved. It's in one of the flower beds where he used to sunbathe, so he can sleep in the sun forever.

I am so sorry, I can understand how you feel I felt the same when Charlie died last year it is heartbreaking. Please try to remember all the good times you had together and try to find some comfort in that. It is lovely to think of him in the flowerbeds and that he will sleep in the sun forever I think that is a beautiful thought.

Sending you love and hugs xxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear about your cat, its always sad when we lose our pets.
    You sound to have done all you could, and your cat will have known he was loved. You should definatley consider getting another as you clearly hae a lot to offer and there are so many lovely cats in shelters desperate for a nice home.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. At the moment I don't want to get another one. Don't want to go through the pain of losing them again.
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our cat has just been diagnosed with this.:(
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinman wrote: »
    Our cat has just been diagnosed with this.:(

I am so sorry.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLA29 wrote: »
    Thanks. At the moment I don't want to get another one. Don't want to go through the pain of losing them again.

I have been following this thread. But couldn't bring myself to post as it upset me too much. I have a cat that I am really attached so I know how you feel.