Samsung Galaxy Ice Bucket Challenge

jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It had to happen, and why am I not surprised it was Samsung?

Sure, they've donated some money to charity - but it's still cheaper than advertising.

Sadly, a lot of the feedback isn't particularly positive - but, hey, it gets people talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w4Gqt-ljb4

Comments

• d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »

Sure, they've donated some money to charity - but it's still cheaper than advertising.

Sadly, a lot of the feedback isn't particularly positive - but, hey, it gets people talking.

Promoting your phone on the back of a charitable campaign, what a bunch of idiots...
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member

Got you posting on a forum, job done I would say :)
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    It seems Samsung have now sunk as low as the sales of the Samsung galaxy S5. Total disgrace using this to promote a phone! I really hope the other companies don't get involved.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see how this is any different from the countless celebrities who are just doing it to get their names in the papers again.

Samsung still contributed money towards the cause and promoted the charity, considering both Samsung and Galaxy are well known brands. I don't really see what they've done wrong here? :confused:
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Same as BIll Gates watching Mark's video on his Surface at the start of his challenge, blatant.

PJ
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »
    Same as BIll Gates watching Mark's video on his Surface at the start of his challenge, blatant.

PJ

Of course he won't be seen with an iPad or Galaxy tab, but it was there for a few seconds and unlike with Samsung not as a centerpiece of the whole video.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A key difference is that Samsung nominates rival products that aren't water resistant, so it's not even trying to just promote the phone.

Of course the idea is you nominate someone else, which should have been enough for Samsung to NOT do it. But however many second thoughts they were having, they obviously decided against common sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Common sense is clearly missing. Who is their PR adviser, Jeremy Clarkson? I don't really mind, but there's a lot of people who will use it as a stick and beat them with it.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    Samsung does something for charity. People complain. What a world we live in.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    A little misguided but for ALS it's money in the bank & more exposure..
    Let's be honest most people are doing this for the exposure or likes whilst being charitable.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least Samsung are giving money to charity.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    Samsung does something for charity. People complain. What a world we live in.

I think you need to get your social radar fixed.
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    It should be said compared to Siri, S-Voice sounds like 'she's' in the bucket of ice water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    At least Samsung are giving money to charity.

They could do that at any time, without taking advantage, of course.

I do hope people will still give money to a charity they support without having to take part in some stunt, or the only charities that will ever make money from now on will have to come up with the best stunts and hashtags.
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    I think you need to get your social radar fixed.

I have no idea what that even means :confused:
  • pi r squaredpi r squared Posts: 4,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They could [give money to charity] at any time, without taking advantage, of course.
    They could, and I would suggest that they more than likely do. Most big companies do give a reasonable amount to charity in one form or other.
    I do hope people will still give money to a charity they support without having to take part in some stunt, or the only charities that will ever make money from now on will have to come up with the best stunts and hashtags.
    I agree with this and it is neither fair nor ideal that charities have to "compete" with each other for donations. Most people donate to charities that are close to their hearts or that friends and family raise money for through sponsorship etc. but while I don't necessarily like the idea of this stunt publicity being used (especially when, as I see it, it's a waste of gallons upon gallons of water), it is good for a variety of charities to get their share of the spotlight. I will confess my ignorance and say I had not heard of ALS before this awareness campaign, neither by its formal name nor it's "common" name. In that respect the campaign has done it's job.

With regards to Samsung doing this, I see it as tongue-in-cheek rather than an attempt to jump on the bandwagon. In fairness, none of us would recognise the CEO of Samsung if he came and slapped us around the face, so we could either have some, for all intents, random guy tipping yet another bucket over his head, or we can have a more notable video with the phone itself in it. As for the "phone itself" calling out rival phones - is that really any different from the more famous CEOs who then nominate CEOs from rival companies?
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I have no idea what that even means :confused:

We know, your previous comment proves it!

But to help you out, Samsung should of waited for their CEO or similar to be nominated for the ice bucket challenge. Then the CEO takes the challenge and nominates another person to take the challenge.

So far it's been free from political statements/advertising/self promotion as no one nominates themselves. Samsung were not nominated they chose to hijack the cause for comercial means. It's disgusting and many are calling for a boycott of Samsung products. Something I strongly agree with.

No one can ignore the fact Samsung "nominated" themselves, it's vile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far it's been free from political statements/advertising/self promotion...
    I'm afraid it hasn't.
    ...as no one nominates themselves
    . Some people must do - I'm sure we've all got friends on Facebook who have posted videos of themselves doing it, and while they may have been nominated by somebody and that somebody by somebody else, I doubt very much that the same nomination tree that reached Bill Gates, Sergey Brin and Mark Wahlberg also reached Bob from Chorley and Tracy from Northampton. Some people will have taken the challenge without nomination; it could not have spread as far and wide otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boycotting Samsung might be a bit of an overreaction. I'm sure by now they realise it was dumb. In fact, I'm sure plenty of people at Samsung thought so too but the company structure means you don't really dare question orders.

Mind you, it might be that Samsung HQ didn't come up with the idea and it was purely some creative working in the UK who might well be out of a job soon, or certainly not doing any more work for the company.
    Forum Member
    It's disgusting and many are calling for a boycott of Samsung products. Something I strongly agree with.

No one can ignore the fact Samsung "nominated" themselves, it's vile.

Oh no - it's the end of the world...boycott time.

Seriously? Some people do take these things way, way, way too seriously.
    Forum Member
    Boycotting Samsung might be a bit of an overreaction.

Might? It would be pathetic.
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid it hasn't.. Some people must do - I'm sure we've all got friends on Facebook who have posted videos of themselves doing it, and while they may have been nominated by somebody and that somebody by somebody else, I doubt very much that the same nomination tree that reached Bill Gates, Sergey Brin and Mark Wahlberg also reached Bob from Chorley and Tracy from Northampton. Some people will have taken the challenge without nomination; it could not have spread as far and wide otherwise.

The fact you're defending this says everything, an as for comparing a multi billion pound multinational corporation with a "friend on Facebook" that's says it all. We will never agree on this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact you're defending this says everything, an as for comparing a multi billion pound multinational corporation with a "friend on Facebook" that's says it all.
    I haven't really "defended" anything; I am simply pointing out that Samsung won't be the first or only people to jump in without a nomination. Do you honestly believe that every single person who has participated in this has done so only after being nominated?

It's a campaign to raise awareness: it's not a constitution. It doesn't matter if people bend the 'rules' a little bit and I think the use of the word "vile" to describe it is a massive overreaction. I do wonder if the reaction from people would have been the same if, say, Sony had have done it with one of their waterproof phones.
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loads of famous people have been doing this including Wrestlers, Footballers in their teams kit etc etc. All of them are promoting their team / organisation doing the bucket challenge, all of which the general public spend money on. Samsung is no different using a phone to do so. But respect for them doing it as it wasn't forced onto them to do so.