Options

I fear the BBC will axe it after this series

David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
Forum Member
The ratings for into the Dalek was awful even X Factor had better ratings and the show is getting the most criticism since the mid 80s I hope I'm wrong but Doctor Who is coming to its end

Comments

• Options
    DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Hilarious :)
  • Options
    DroodDrood Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd prefer it if they just axed Stephen Moffat.
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they've axed him to stay on.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    Well series 9 has already been commissioned so even if you were right we would still have at least 23 new episodes left (10 from this series, a chistmas special then presumably at least 12 in series 9).

Extremely unlikely you are right though, it is the bbc's flagship show. Can't think of any other show where they add show content into all of there idents, yet with doctor who they've done it multiple times, such as it's value. and one bad night of ratings isn't going to make the axe fall in an instant. Plus I would assume they take iplayer viewings into account as well.

I think the only reason x factor beat it in the ratings is that x factor is more a kind of 'here and gone' type show which people feel the need to watch on the day so that they won't be out of the loop gossiping the next day whereas doctor who is a show that can enjoyed anytime.

If someone took viewings for doctor who on the night plus the repeats that week, plus iplayer figures then did the same for x factor, it's repeats and it's itv player figures I wouldn't be surprised if doctor who had more views overall.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_H_93 wrote: »
    The ratings for into the Dalek was awful even X Factor had better ratings and the show is getting the most criticism since the mid 80s I hope I'm wrong but Doctor Who is coming to its end

Yes, you ARE wrong.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nu who has wrecked the entire concept. russ 'n steve have completely trashed the whole idea for the sake a few quick cheap gags .......
  • Options
    geosgeos Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well series 9 has already been commissioned so even if you were right we would still have at least 23 new episodes left (10 from this series, a chistmas special then presumably at least 12 in series 9).

Extremely unlikely you are right though, it is the bbc's flagship show. Can't think of any other show where they add show content into all of there idents, yet with doctor who they've done it multiple times, such as it's value. and one bad night of ratings isn't going to make the axe fall in an instant. Plus I would assume they take iplayer viewings into account as well.

I think the only reason x factor beat it in the ratings is that x factor is more a kind of 'here and gone' type show which people feel the need to watch on the day so that they won't be out of the loop gossiping the next day whereas doctor who is a show that can enjoyed anytime.

If someone took viewings for doctor who on the night plus the repeats that week, plus iplayer figures then did the same for x factor, it's repeats and it's itv player figures I wouldn't be surprised if doctor who had more views overall.

Dont really think it is! I would say Strictly or Eastenders have that title
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahh, this kind of threads remind me why I've missed coming to this forum...just hysterical.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I think you're being paranoid.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    geos wrote: »
    I suppode what you consider the absolute top is a matter of opinion but It's definitely one of their tops shows for certain, if not the top one. Eastenders is never on primetime on a saturday night and i've never heard of them paying for a world tour to promote strictly, let alone the fact they changed most of the idents for a week to show the doctor and/or TARDIS (and not for the first time). Pretty sure they've never done anything like that for strictly either.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    nu who has wrecked the entire concept. russ 'n steve have completely trashed the whole idea for the sake a few quick cheap gags .......

Riiiiiight.... You are taking the p!ss, I hope.
  • Options
    Amaretto2Amaretto2 Posts: 2,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think your'e being very optimistic in assuming they will even bother showing the rest of this season. With ratings that bad, there are rumours on Twitter that they will be removing it from the schedules in a few weeks and replacing it with repeats of Hole in the Wall.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David_H_93 wrote: »

At the risk of feeding the troll - ratings are fine, X factor ratings are usually higher (God knows why) and there's no way the BBC would end one of its most popular and high profile shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amaretto2 wrote: »
    I think your'e being very optimistic in assuming they will even bother showing the rest of this season. With ratings that bad, there are rumours on Twitter that they will be removing it from the schedules in a few weeks and replacing it with repeats of Hole in the Wall.
    I'd read that it was going to be replaced with repeats of Don't Scare The Hare.
  • Options
    Carbon ProductsCarbon Products Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    With on demand services, do ratings mean a lot these days? Or are Iplayer views taken into account?
  • Options
    inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering that Saturday's episode is top of BBC iPlayer, and episode 1 is STILL in the top 5, I highly doubt the BBC would want to bin a show like that.
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I'd read that it was going to be replaced with repeats of Don't Scare The Hare.

They could put that hare in the new series as a baddie. Certainly scary enough...
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With on demand services, do ratings mean a lot these days? Or are Iplayer views taken into account?

While there are plans to include them with the official ratings they aren't at the moment.

The BBC do of course keep track of how many people watch using Iplayer.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely no chance. Prime time saturday night programme, overseas sales, dvd/bluray sales. Its a cashcow for the bbc.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    The BBC would have a lot of explaining to do, axing its top rated family drama and its biggest international hit.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the very unlikely event they were considering axing the show, I would imagine that they would first take the initial step of replacing the lead actor or production crew, also very unlikely.

So, no, the axe isn't poised to swing anytime soon.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    geos wrote: »

Eastenders is a soap

Strickly is a reality show

Doctor Who is a Drama

Also Strickly and Doctor Who are seasonal.

They are all different beasts and could all be the BBCs flagship programs for their category they all have Christmas specials whereas other programs dont (Chrismas day is mostly films on BBC one other than these 3 programs, the Queen's Speech and News).

So whether the BBC consider one of these 3 above the others (which I dont think they do), they are all BBCs best programs!
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amaretto2 wrote: »

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. NO they so wont do what you say! there would be huge backlashes Im sure!

Doctor Who is one of the biggest programs for getting in the younger generation on BBC one, which the BBC are have a hard time pulling in that part of the population at the moment and the Trust are pulling them up on it!
    They have also no doubt spent huge amounts of money on it and its only 2 episodes in to the series and, as others have said, they have to consider the catch-up ratings (those that recorded the show for later and Iplayer hits) before looking at how watched it was!

YOU are being too pessimistic I would say!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the DW Ratings thread:

Live + VOSDAL: 5.195m
    + Day 1: 6.474m

AI rating of 84
  • Options
    David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    adams66 wrote: »
    At the risk of feeding the troll - ratings are fine, X factor ratings are usually higher (God knows why) and there's no way the BBC would end one of its most popular and high profile shows.

They did it before in 1989 so why not again