Options

Brand new respect for Tom Cruise!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 707
Forum Member
✭✭
Something strange happened tonight!!

I am part of that 80s generation! I had my teens in the 80S and Tom Cruise was very much part of that. For some reason though I never liked him. I know he is a good actor but I found the whole 'Top Gun' thing a bit obnoxious . I was more of the Christian Slater brigade (god if I knew then.....)

But tonight I watched Jonathan Ross's show and he came across as modest and humble and I have a brand new LOVE for him! When he blushed after attempting to sing!

I reluctantly liked him.

Have I been wrong all these years or is it just REALLY good marketing and I am so stupid I've beensucked in!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for a megastar he is apparently very approachable to his fans, which is quite refreshing

i like how they mentioned he rescued that boy from being crushed against the barriers.

seems a nice guy really :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    but ive always rejected that sort of obnoxious(yes i cant spell - so sue me) rich boys stuff - and i probably not fair it was just the era.

I was always a bit of a geek ( think Molly Ringwald (where is she now?)) So he belonged to something else!

But now at the grand old age of 39 Ive realised, actually he is okay and it's the media who are a bunch of 'female genatalia'.

(Well ive always known the media are a bunch of ,ya know, but , well lets not over do it but, I take it all back)
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You obviously didn't watch him on The View, creepy regarding Scientology and the Travolta tragedy.

He is nice to his fans and does do those walkabouts at premiers for hours.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think one of the big issues people have with him is that he is a high profile, and high value (in that he gives a lot of credibility to) member of a "religion" that is frequently, and in my opinion correctly, described as an extremely damaging cult. An organisation that has had a very negative effect on a great many lives.

Unfortunately they also spend a huge amount of time and effort using various laws and regulation getting criticism of them removed from the internet. Despite this there is a wealth of material about them if you should wish to know more.

All that said it doesn't stop Tom Cruise being a great actor, I certainly think he is, and seemingly a pretty decent chap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    You obviously didn't watch him on The View, creepy regarding Scientology and the Travolta tragedy.

Yeah, the scientology stuff , to be honest, I have no clue what that is about. I am opposed to organised religion but I consider myself to have a spirtual side. I have always seen Scientology as a capalist con trick.

Is he really a freak about that, is it a matter of opinion and his dedication to it, is that just harmless?

I have not seen him speak about that so I havent seen that side of him.

Previously I have always found something about him a bit soul-less. I get the same vibe off Matthew Fox and have never warmed to him.

I dont know maybe I am I media victim but tonight.....I liked him!
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to like him - he's a great actor and very approachable to his fans - but his anti psychiatry psychobabble and his completely scathing attack on Brooke Shields and her PND turned me right off him.

He's very, very dangerous IMHO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member
    I think he is an excellent actor, but there is something about him that comes across as insincere and extremely calculating. In my opinion, I think he plays audiences like a fiddle.
  • Options
    WAKEYLASSWAKEYLASS Posts: 6,085
    Forum Member
    I think he is an excellent actor, but there is something about him that comes across as insincere and extremely calculating. In my opinion, I think he plays audiences like a fiddle.

I agree with you KittLitter :)
    There is something about him that doesn't ring true, I can't quite put my finger on what. I think he was told to 'calm' down by his advisors- especially with his Scientology beliefs after he appeared on the Oprah show jumping up and down on the sofa declaring his undying love for his now wife Katie. IMO, that's when the public began to ridicule him and he bagan to lose popularity.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I've never taken to Teeny Tiny Tom, even before he became a loony. Don't rate his films or acting either. He has always left me as cold as ice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can look at some of the work Tom Cruise has done, in films like "Rainman," "Cocktail", "Jerry Macquire", "Risky Business" and on and on and like him despite what his personal religious views are. You can separate his professionalism from his personal spiritual views. Scientology is really bizarre in my opinion but Cruise has given lots of his money and time to help other people. The drug program related to Scientology called Narcanon is very controversial but they do have some real success with getting people off drugs and Cruise has personally worked in this area and anyone that helps another go back to leading a productive life, versus a life of addiction has done something incredible in my opinion.

I am a fan of the artist known as Prince who speaks out now about being a Jehovah's Witness. I had two friends who were Jehovah's Witnesses, and their descriptions of this religion they were born and raised in, really did sound like a cult to me. I can still listen to and admire Prince. When it comes to religion, if you are an adult with free will, and it does not harm anyone else, it's whatever floats your boat in my opinion.

There are areas I probably can't separate personal stuff from the career of the famous person. For instance, if I had been an O.J. Simpson fan (and I wasn't), I would have lost all respect for him after the double murders even though he was acquitted. In my mind, I felt with all the DNA evidence, he was guilty.

Another example may be Michael Jackson. I suspect, he has had some inappropriate dealings with underage boys. He has been acquitted in a criminal case but in my opinion, he may be guilty and if I was a fan of his (and I never really was) I doubt I would still want to listen to him. When it comes to murder, rape or child molestation, I can't separate that from a professional career, but when it comes to religion or politics, I can.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never taken to Teeny Tiny Tom, even before he became a loony. Don't rate his films or acting either. He has always left me as cold as ice.

I'm the same - just never really liked him. And that's without the Scientology weirdness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marvellous, charming man. And a profoundly disturbing recruiter for the Scientologists.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 462
    Forum Member
    but ive always rejected that sort of obnoxious(yes i cant spell - so sue me) rich boys stuff - and i probably not fair it was just the era.

I was always a bit of a geek ( think Molly Ringwald (where is she now?)) So he belonged to something else!

But now at the grand old age of 39 Ive realised, actually he is okay and it's the media who are a bunch of 'female genatalia'.

(Well ive always known the media are a bunch of ,ya know, but , well lets not over do it but, I take it all back)

i would, but you haven't, so i can't

on the other hand, if we're talking about your genItalia, that's a different matter;)
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Tom is a great actor, better than a lot of people give him credit for, and I give him credit for taking the mickey out of himself, although he clearly has his limits.

I also pay attention to what Stephen Fry said about him really knowing his stuff about WW2, and he does appear to put his effort into researching his roles and that is important for an actor and film producer.

It's great that he does the walk-abouts and so on, but I don't like to place too much emphasis on that because it's easy to see it as an investment in his image and in the films. That's not to say it is definitely calculated, and calculated or not, it takes a certain amount of skill and charisma to be able to work a crowd like that for that length of time. Other actors don't do it, and there has to be a reason for that.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mojorisin' wrote: »
    You can look at some of the work Tom Cruise has done, in films like "Rainman," "Cocktail", "Jerry Macquire", "Risky Business" and on and on and like him despite what his personal religious views are. You can separate his professionalism from his personal spiritual views. Scientology is really bizarre in my opinion but Cruise has given lots of his money and time to help other people. The drug program related to Scientology called Narcanon is very controversial but they do have some real success with getting people off drugs and Cruise has personally worked in this area and anyone that helps another go back to leading a productive life, versus a life of addiction has done something incredible in my opinion.

I am a fan of the artist known as Prince who speaks out now about being a Jehovah's Witness. I had two friends who were Jehovah's Witnesses, and their descriptions of this religion they were born and raised in, really did sound like a cult to me. I can still listen to and admire Prince. When it comes to religion, if you are an adult with free will, and it does not harm anyone else, it's whatever floats your boat in my opinion.

There are areas I probably can't separate personal stuff from the career of the famous person. For instance, if I had been an O.J. Simpson fan (and I wasn't), I would have lost all respect for him after the double murders even though he was acquitted. In my mind, I felt with all the DNA evidence, he was guilty.

Another example may be Michael Jackson. I suspect, he has had some inappropriate dealings with underage boys. He has been acquitted in a criminal case but in my opinion, he may be guilty and if I was a fan of his (and I never really was) I doubt I would still want to listen to him. When it comes to murder, rape or child molestation, I can't separate that from a professional career, but when it comes to religion or politics, I can.

No, I'm afraid I can't. I don't question his acting ability or his altruism, but I'm afraid some of his disguting comments and views on psychiatry show that he is very much ignorant and skewed in his views.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »

I thought it was a bit inappropriate to ask him about the Travolta tragedy on The View.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On waking this morning and pondering....I think it may have been the Merlot!;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On waking this morning and pondering....I think it may have been the Merlot!;)

So what you meant to say was you have a brand new respect for Merlot? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vermin wrote: »
    So what you meant to say was you have a brand new respect for Merlot? :D

I think Merlot makes me less cynical and after a large glass i actually start to like people, perhaps that why its my husband who always sticks a bottle in the shopping-trolley!;)
  • Options
    tinkerbell987tinkerbell987 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorry but i find him really creepy. i disagree with his views & although he & katie appear to be happy i think she's been brainwashed & if u look at her eyes they look souless. that's all down to him. IMHO i think he's quite dangerous so sorry no respect for him.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Called PR, and his public image to sell which he has perfected over many years.
    Not impressed at all and never have been.

He made some idiotic statement that he "grew up wanting to kill Hitler." . really? Kill a man who had been dead for over 20 years when he was born.? Who is he kidding, or is he a bit sick.? The jolly movie is not even historically accurate, but hey that is Hollywood treatment to facts.
  • Options
    The KenzThe Kenz Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cruise is a nauseating, pre-fabricated plank! I despise his personality, his pathetic insincerity, his acting, everything! He is a complete waste of oxygen!

Questioned about he obvious twisting of history in his new low-brow flick, all he could answer was that "people should look at the history" and that in answer to the fact that von Stauffenberg was a genuine Nazi (i.e. not one who simply jumped on the bandwagon but one who believed in everything they stood for), simply replied "that's not what I found".

Incredible - he's re-writing history to make a fast buck for his loony cult and he can't even be bothered to think of a half-decent answer to some serious accusations! But then again, he's hardly the sharpest tool in the box...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Kenz wrote: »
    Cruise is a nauseating, pre-fabricated plank! I despise his personality, his pathetic insincerity, his acting, everything! He is a complete waste of oxygen!

Questioned about he obvious twisting of history in his new low-brow flick, all he could answer was that "people should look at the history" and that in answer to the fact that von Stauffenberg was a genuine Nazi (i.e. not one who simply jumped on the bandwagon but one who believed in everything they stood for), simply replied "that's not what I found".

Incredible - he's re-writing history to make a fast buck for his loony cult and he can't even be bothered to think of a half-decent answer to some serious accusations! But then again, he's hardly the sharpest tool in the box...

Someone needs Merlot!
  • Options
    The KenzThe Kenz Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone needs Merlot!

Trust me - this was my CONSIDERED response, not knee-jerk!:D

If I'd said what I really think, I'd be banned immediately...;)

And if Merlot makes you like Tom Cruise, then I'm going to take the advice of the Grange Hill kids and "Just Say NO"!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Kenz wrote: »
    Trust me - this was my CONSIDERED response, not knee-jerk!:D

If I'd said what I really think, I'd be banned immediately...;)

And if Merlot makes you like Tom Cruise, then I'm going to take the advice of the Grange Hill kids and "Just Say NO"!

When I start liking Anthea Turner....:D