Windows Message: 'stack overflow at line0' on Ebay

I keep getting a window pop up on Ebay pages ' stack overflow at line 0'. anyone know what it is and how do I stop it? Doesn't appear on any othe web pages.

Comments

• MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    try a different browser or disable any addons would be my first try
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am getting this as well. Using IE8. I haven't tried another browser yet.
  • JoddleJoddle Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the title suggests, I have very suddenly been experiencing stack overflow errors when I browse on ebay. This only happens on ebay and on no other websites.

I don't think this is a problem with me as the errors started coming on last Saturday - and on all 6 of the PCs in the house.

The common factor is that all PCs run XP pro SP3 and Internet Explorer 9 - however I note that other people have also reported a similar thing starting around the same time as it did for me.

Ebay suggested disabling scripts and add-ons, all which I have tried but the errors persist on "line 0 line 78 and line 86".

I have even stripped down a PC and completely reinstalled the OS on a newly formatted disk and at first with the native IE7 all worked fine but when it updated to IE 8 the problems started all over again.

I have also tried other browsers Firefox, Chorme and Opera and they are trouble free - its only IE8 where there is an issue.

As the problems only started last week, and on all my machines at the same time, and other people have reported a similar thing, I can only assume something at Ebay has changed to cause the errors but they seem not to want to consider that.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ebay have made some changes and really screwed things up.

I use Opera as my browser, and if I now view an ebay item page, most of the links from that page don't work. E.g the link at the top of the page to "my ebay" etc.

One would hope they are aware of the issues and will resolve them (revert back to the old version until they have fixed the bugs in the new one)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    try a different browser or disable any addons would be my first try

Tried disabling addons - no difference - other browsers all work fine but my systems are all set up to use IE8 so I don't really want to spend time changing that - especially as it worked fine up until this last weekend!!! Ebay seem very reluctant to acknowledge they have a problem.....

Perhaps everyone who experiences the issue should write to the customer help section at ebay

PS noted a mistake in earlier thread - "IE9" should read "IE8"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just found something interesting. If I use the Spanish ebay system (ebay.es), I don't get any problems at all - even if I view the same items which cause problems when I have been browsing via the UK ebay site (ebay.co.uk)!

To see if that was true I tried using the USA site (ebay.com) as well and the same thing - no problems at all - even when browsing UK items.

I think this is pretty conclusive that there is indeed an issue with the UK site - I have informed Ebay so lets see if they respond.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm - this morning the problem seems to have vanished - on all of my machines!! No response from Ebay support yet though. Seems they must have realised that they did have an issue after all and have fixed it - can't think of an other explanation. Shame they can't simply respond and say yes we were at fault but its OK now, or make an anouncement to that effect.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably was a typo/small error in a script somewhere causing the error so it and probably a dozen other balls ups got fixed at the same time
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stack overflow is an error that happens with recursive functions (that call themselves) and the condition when to stop (that is essential) was wrong. This results in a stack overflow, because each call of the function takes a chunk of the stack and when it runs out the function is aborted. So dodgy script on ebay is my guess.
  • ZenithZenith Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am still getting this error today.
  • GeowitchGeowitch Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    I have spent two frustrating hours this morning trying to list two items. I had major problems uploading images and re-attempt them over and over again until they uploaded. I have never had problems like this with Ebay before.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even though I'm an IE user most of the time, I sometimes have to use Chrome when I'm having problems with sites.