Masterchef new series (17/01/12) (Part 2)

Comments

• penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Please, please kill these programmes off once and for all. I'd hate to eat food prepared in this manner with so much handling by these cooks, bending their sweaty heads and using fingers that have been everywhere.
    At least they should wear hats or bandanas and gloves. :mad:

God, I'm going to be popular, here. :rolleyes:

Oh dear. Big sigh. Okay, you don't like the programme. Fair enough. You don't want to eat that food - okay. You'd like to call in Health and Safety. Why not just switch off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    It was in response to your extremely aggressive reply. Asking what rattled my cage and telling me to "stay the hell away" from the forum.

Just calm down. We're all friends here.

I have to agree. I think this is one of the nicest Forums of all because it has been consistently witty, good humoured and, above all, tolerant. Thank you all for a really enjoyable series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    Girl will win. I don't care as I never latched on to any of them.

A lovely cheerful post!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D I'm sorry, I just love my seafood! I've had soft-shell crab in sushi but never had the chance to eat it the way Shelina cooked it. I'll take crab in any form... any shell fish (apart from winkles and whelks - I can't stand them!)

That wasn't a crab - that was a large hairy chocolate gunge coated Mauritian spider that would have made me scream in a restaurant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    Also cheated and had great help from Jay!

A bit of pounding which he shared around
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D:D:D

It's Mangochef from now on
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RFS wrote: »
    Dad didn't like lamb ergo we never had it!!!

I have to get mum to teach me to make napolitains - maybe to take in to journo school as a birthday treat for all my mates.

Perhaps you can buy lamb mince for the katlets and see if you like it.

There's a mauritian website with recipes http://ile-maurice.tripod.com/. There's a napolitain one on there, I made it without the rum as I don't drink. It's really easy, just messy to make.

How old are you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    first year we have a happy thread at the winner do not think anyone was robbed but do think acki should be a come back contestant next year pretty please he personality just rocked :):):)

On balance, I'd rather have the crab
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    You lucky thing!

I have found 'How to clean a soft shell crab':

http://www.ehow.com/video_2339408_clean-soft-shell-crab.html

Once cleaned you can just coat in seasoned flour and fry.

The spider crabs on TV yesterday were a whole order of magnitude more intimidating to look at - and pretty huge, so i can sort of understand why people might not be confident to deal with them at home:

http://lyndongee.blogspot.com/2011/08/summer-on-coast.html

They are considered a great delicacy in northern France. They serve them up with mayonnaise, fresh bread and a nice glass of chilled white wine.

and a doctor standing by with an antidote
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave up watching a few weeks ago, when it became obvious that Shelina was the chosen one.

Poor you, you missed some great programmes
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Oh no, at least I agree with you. I was irritated to see them cooking with free hair and tasting the food with spoons they probably did not wash after each tasting :eek: Gloves are negotiable for me, I would not like to cook in gloves, if they wash their hands when necessary.

Tasting the food with spoons they didn't wash after each tasting?

This is a restaurant atmosphere, not a science laboratory
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    Perhaps you can buy lamb mince for the katlets and see if you like it.

There's a mauritian website with recipes http://ile-maurice.tripod.com/. There's a napolitain one on there, I made it without the rum as I don't drink. It's really easy, just messy to make.

How old are you?

Thanks for that, there are some fantastic recipes on there.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shelina is a boring cook confined with the only ingredient she knows to spice up her food.:rolleyes:

Imagine if mango is not in season...she'll probably stop cooking.

Almost forgot her 2nd ingredient...tapioca.

But it's not all Shelina's fault she won, it's mainly down to the 2 stooges Torode & Wallace whose palates and standards have now been most definitely gone down the drain if this year's series was anything to go by.

These 2 glutons have nothing on the standard of Gary Mehigan & co on the MC Australia.

Rubbish.
    Shelina won because she consistently came up with food that people actually enjoyed eating..a novel idea that appeared to have been forgotten by some contestants.
    It wasn't just Torode and Wallace who were impressed, the chefs and restaurant critics were also singing her praises in earlier rounds.
    I did a little straw poll at the office, and asked them which of the finalists would you like to cook a meal for you this weekend..the result was unanimous...Shelina.
    I've grown weary of these "experimental" cooks, throwing any selection of ingredients together in an effort to impress. We had that guy last year who hadn't even bothered to try his "experiments" before coming on the show. Give me someone who can produce tried and tested, delicious food, every time.
    My only complaint was that the result never seemed in any doubt, not because she was "the chosen one"..but because she had proved herself superior in nearly every task.
    It certainly wasn't an exciting final, but the best chef won. It would have been a complete farce if there had been any other result, given her overall performances in tasks throughout the series.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, there are some fantastic recipes on there.

Yes there are, she was brilliant. Unfortunately the lady who created that website died of cancer last year.

I love that website, home from home.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    downtonfan wrote: »
    It was in response to your extremely aggressive reply. Asking what rattled my cage and telling me to "stay the hell away" from the forum.

Just calm down. We're all friends here.

Think you really need to go back the thread and look at the chronology again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know what the swelling music was they used? Just before the announced the winner?
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to Shelina :D As is fast getting to be tradition, we've bashed out some new innuendos to celebrate the final... Hope you like 'em! (PS I know they're for the Professionals and not last night's series but I went on holiday and am still catching up with this one, will get there!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWnfyRr4Hso

Henry

:D

Brilliant. I actually liked #10 and #9 most. And Monica's faces are priceless :D
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although he didnt win, i think the competition will make the most difference to tom.
    He clearly had no great love of plastering, and I can see the job offers flooding in for all of them.
    Shelina wants to run her own place.
    Did Andrew say he wanted to?
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This doodle on Andrews twitter page
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    It's Mangochef from now on

Maybe Shelina could do a programme with Matt Follas - Mango and Ming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    I have just looked at the first final again. Tom's starter in the cook-off was more or less what he practiced in the 3* which he more or less nailed then.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Socha wrote: »
    I understand why they chose her, but at the same time I was a little bit disappointed.

She has indeed been the most consistent but when you think who of these cooks could be a future Michelinstar cook, my guess is it wouldn't be Shelina but possibly Andrew or Tom and of those I'd root for Tom.

Past experience of Masterchef winners seems to suggest that this isn't a realistic expectation of the winners.

Of the past winners, only Mat Follas is actually cooking regularly in his own restaurant. (What's Druv doing?) James Nathan is working for Rick Stein, and may end up with his own place one day, but the others have all branched off into other areas of the culinary landscape.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Please, please kill these programmes off once and for all. I'd hate to eat food prepared in this manner with so much handling by these cooks, bending their sweaty heads and using fingers that have been everywhere.
    At least they should wear hats or bandanas and gloves. :mad:

You should probably stop eating out then. All food in all restaurants is handled by the chefs, Its's hot in the kitchen so they probably sweat, and there's no requirement for them to wear hats, or gloves.

Nothing you see is unique to TV programmes.