yarn artists please help me find this pattern....

annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
Forum Member
crochet - i have 5mm and 5.50mm hooks

knitting - needles: 12mm, 7mm, 6.50mm, 5mm [i think] and 4mm.

wools -

a dready textured chunky in shades of mixed rich autumn day

a dk/aran [maybe] llama like in a shade of wet sack [much nicer than it sounds].

i need a free pattern for a chunky newborn hat that isn`t knitted in rounds, one with ear flaps and one elf with a long tail or just a plain beanie, i can adapt that.

absolutely HAS to be knitted on straight pins, i can`t do circular.

:):):):):)

edit:

been on ravelry and drops, also lion and a couple more, everything`s in rounds.

Comments

• RellyRelly Posts: 3,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh I had one a couple of years or so ago. I'll try and find it, but do bear with me. I might have to scan it and send it to you if it's not on the internet (ie in my file of knitting patterns), so let me know if you want that. BRB. :D

Back!

I can't find my own, because I actually adapted an on-the-round one for straight needles, and I'm buggered if I know where I put it. I did find this one though, after a rummage:

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babymockcablehat.htm

There are a few on this page, but some are on the round and some are too big, but you might be able to adapt one of them if you prefer them.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/babyhats.htm

Just for info, I don't know if you know about Knitting Pattern Central? They're all free, and they've got patterns for everything under the sun:

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_hats.php

Click on the Directory for the other categories they have.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried Pinterest or Etsy? I seem to be able to find anything 'crafty' I need on there.

I too hate circular - just doesn't feel right.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The others have covered my suggestions.;-)
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Relly wrote: »
    Oooh I had one a couple of years or so ago. I'll try and find it, but do bear with me. I might have to scan it and send it to you if it's not on the internet (ie in my file of knitting patterns), so let me know if you want that. BRB. :D

Back!

I can't find my own, because I actually adapted an on-the-round one for straight needles, and I'm buggered if I know where I put it. I did find this one though, after a rummage:

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babymockcablehat.htm

There are a few on this page, but some are on the round and some are too big, but you might be able to adapt one of them if you prefer them.

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/babyhats.htm

Just for info, I don't know if you know about Knitting Pattern Central? They're all free, and they've got patterns for everything under the sun:

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/baby_hats.php

Click on the Directory for the other categories they have.

i should just bite the bullet and have a go with circular pins but i havn`t got any anyway and i need this bloody hat quite soon.

thanks for those links :).

♥ pinterest sutie, etsy have GORGEOUS patterns and i`d buy one if i had money on my card :D.
  • SparklySwedeSparklySwede Posts: 1,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will have a proper look later, but have you looked on Ravelry? There's so many patterns on there and many are free so you might find what you're looking for on there. It's my go-to site for knitting or crochet :)
  • sesmosesmo Posts: 740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Ravelry there's a pattern called "Chemo Earflap Hat" by Gabrielle Henry. Looks like it's worked flat then seemed. Needs dk yarn.
    Forum Member
    I will have a proper look later, but have you looked on Ravelry? There's so many patterns on there and many are free so you might find what you're looking for on there. It's my go-to site for knitting or crochet :)
    sesmo wrote: »
    On Ravelry there's a pattern called "Chemo Earflap Hat" by Gabrielle Henry. Looks like it's worked flat then seemed. Needs dk yarn.

i went on ravelry, they have great patterns. i couldn`t find anything but have just discovered the correct term for "with straight pins" is bottom up so i can do a search now :D thank you ladies.
    Forum Member
    sigh.

bottom up means nowt of the sort :(
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Annette, if you can afford to buy some, give circular pins a go. Seriously, I was convinced that I wasn't going to get on with them at all, but they are easy peasy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Annette, if you can afford to buy some, give circular pins a go. Seriously, I was convinced that I wasn't going to get on with them at all, but they are easy peasy!

I agree but didn't like to say earlier!;-). My Mum is 90 and knitted on straights all her life. Five years ago I bought her a set of interchangeables and she took to them immediately. You can knit straight on them or in the round and she wouldn't be without them now.

Give them a go!
  • PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could you use Gutermann Natural Cotton on a 250m spool.

Oh sorry, wrong thread.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I agree but didn't like to say earlier!;-). My Mum is 90 and knitted on straights all her life. Five years ago I bought her a set of interchangeables and she took to them immediately. You can knit straight on them or in the round and she wouldn't be without them now.

Give them a go!

I knit straight on mine too. Now that I'm used to them, I find them much easier to handle, especially if you're working on something that's big and bulky.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    I knit straight on mine too. Now that I'm used to them, I find them much easier to handle, especially if you're working on something that's big and bulky.

I am a convert too. My elderly mum loves hers as the weight of the garment is not all on one needle just on the cord. Knitting on straights made her arms ache.

I have the tips in just about every size now, mainly acrylic but a few in wood. I also have a set of 13 interchangeables which are circa 1960s from the USA. They are wonderful and I am using them at the moment to knit a cabled head warmer.