Options

Why do people in shops look at you like you're a thief

hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
Forum Member
If it isn't people using debit and credit cards to pay for their shopping it's the assistants in shops that stand and do nothing but watch you browse around the store. And just on the topic of those people that use cards to pay for their stuff, this be another thing that's passed me by, it must be a new thing people do but when I'm standing with my shopping on the conveyer belt thing and I'm standing next to you to put get ready to put my shopping into bags, what makes you think me seeing your debit card or credit card number is gonna change anything? Do i automatically become a hoodlum or a thief, am I more likely to try and rob you and or steal your card in front of everyone at the supermarket. Lets face it we're all in Tesco together or Asda or Sainsburys, we're all buying the same shite, your kids are gonna eat the same shite I'm eating at 5pm, I really don't give a toss about you or your credit card because you don't it in you, no gumption, no balls to walk around with cash in your purse. So paranoid that someone might steal something from you that you only pay by card and while you pay with that card nudge over as if by standing in front of me you're gonna protect yourself and your cash.

What a bunch of morons, I can't understand the over 60's doing it but when you see the hipsters and your everyday common folk it just makes me wonder what kind of world we are living in. Maybe if they are that bothered maybe they should shop somewhere else. What other posh places are there? Places like Marks & Spencers, 30 year old office worker virgins out shopping with Mummy and Daddy, oh Mummy we must buy this expensive bread! Because we're upper class and I can't use my pee pee in naughty ways until I find a wife because that's what posh people do, oh lets buy this £6 tray of macaroni because it's so much better than buying it out of a tin. Oh look at us buying bread priced at £1.80, we're so upper class. It just makes my blood boil.

And then there's the shop assistants. Seriously sweetheart, you're standing there all doing bugger all. You need to work. i don't need to work hence why I'm in the store BROWSING, I have money, I don't need to steal anything, I don't care about you or what you look like or if you can help me in any way or who your boss is so just get out of my face, go stand in a corner and face the wall, go and pick your arse for all I care but If i need I'll then I'll come looking for you but since I don't need your help I don't want you eyeballing me as I walk around the store browsing and deciding if there is anything I want. Surely I can't be the only one here that thinks like this? Infact I don't care, I just had to get that off my chest, I feel a lot better now that I've said all that. Infact I think this site should have a rant area. Just a place where you can rant and you don't need replies. Just something where people like me can just let off steam.

Comments

• Options
    jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *...backs away slowly...*
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Turtles.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I think I must just look trustworthy and harmless.

Last week there was something in my bag that kept setting the alarms off in every shop I went into (it's stopped now but never did discover what it was) - I immediately put my hands up and looked for an assistant and explained that I was beeping on the way in and way out. I offered them my bag to check and opened it but all of them just shrugged and said something along the lines of 'it might be your bag itself, a bit of make up or mobile phone etc.).

I went into Boots, M&S, Next and Wilko - no one checked me - I could/should have filled my boots!
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know, never happened to me.

Quit wearing a black and white hoopy jumper and domino mask and carrying a sack over your shoulder marked "SWAG" is my suggestion.
  • Options
    dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else awaiting a breaking newsflash featuring a supermarket surrounded by armed police following an incident with an axe wielding lunatic ?
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thinks there may be a case for DS having a medic on stand-by
  • Options
    dylan99dylan99 Posts: 10,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skim read thr OP, seems a gloriously bonkers rant. Is the gist, they look like a thief?
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    PMSL at posh virgin bread (for the low low price of £1.80)

Judging from this OP people are looking at you funny because you're a bit unhinged.

No offense like;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Part of their job is to prevent stock from going missing...........

Doesn't mean they think you're a thief, they just have to keep an eye on everyone. I used to work in a shop where the most unsuspecting people would grab something if you took your eye off them. I once saw a mum take advantage of the moment her kid started crying by crouching down and shoving items into the bottom of the pram.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Raquelos. wrote: »
    PMSL at posh virgin bread (for the low low price of £1.80)

Judging from this OP people are looking at you funny because you're a bit unhinged.

No offense like;-)

I dunno. In his short DS career he's caused a fair bit of offence, so not too much of a problem if a little is caused back. So yes, he seems a bit mad, maybe humming to himself and twitching or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stock going missing? In a huge supermarket? Where is it gonna go? Up my trousers? Or if I'm in a shopping mall, where am I gonna go? Am i gonna outrun all the security guards?

I'll tell you what it is, it's typical British behaviour with the snooty down the nose look people give and then wanting to know everything that's going on, always wanting to watch everyone and listen to people's conversations.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    So you want to nick stuff but cant get away with it because everyone is watching you?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Vast_Girth wrote: »
    So you want to nick stuff but cant get away with it because everyone is watching you?

I never said that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part of their job is to prevent stock from going missing...........

Doesn't mean they think you're a thief, they just have to keep an eye on everyone. I used to work in a shop where the most unsuspecting people would grab something if you took your eye off them. I once saw a mum take advantage of the moment her kid started crying by crouching down and shoving items into the bottom of the pram.

Well, quite! There is no template for who is likely to be a thief. As for shielding a card number, it is not uncommon for another customer to see the card number, text it to an accomplice in the store carpark, and for said accomplice to then mug the customer thus having both the card and card number!

Settles down for a late lunch of wholegrain and rye sourdough bread spread with Brittany butter with sea salt crystals! yummy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, quite! There is no template for who is likely to be a thief. As for shielding a card number, it is not uncommon for another customer to see the card number, text it to an accomplice in the store carpark, and for said accomplice to then mug the customer thus having both the card and card number!

Settles down for a late lunch of wholegrain and rye sourdough bread spread with Brittany butter with sea salt crystals! yummy!

I think someone's been watching too many TV shows in the afternoon. In reality what would happen is the person who got mugged would walk back into the store and get security and call the police, phone the bank and get their card stopped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hazydayz wrote: »
    I think someone's been watching too many TV shows in the afternoon. In reality what would happen is the person who got mugged would walk back into the store and get security and call the police, phone the bank and get their card stopped.

Sorry to disillusion you but I have not been watching too many TV shows. It happens; it has happened where I live; it has happened at my nearest supermarket. These type of thefts do not occur randomly - the thieves know that they have only a few minutes in which to use the card and plan accordingly. Even if it only takes 10 minutes for the theft to be reported (and that would be very quick as 1. most people would be shaken and 2. it takes time to get through to their bank) , the card will have been used in the nearest atm to clear out the maximum cash. Supermarkets are ideal places for such scams and thefts as most people are concentrating on their shopping, or by packing their bags, or looking for their car, or simply in a hurry, etc., etc.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dylan99 wrote: »
    Skim read thr OP, seems a gloriously bonkers rant. Is the gist, they look like a thief?

Dunno, gave up on the 4th sentence.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stock going missing? In a huge supermarket? Where is it gonna go? Up my trousers? Or if I'm in a shopping mall, where am I gonna go? Am i gonna outrun all the security guards?

I'll tell you what it is, it's typical British behaviour with the snooty down the nose look people give and then wanting to know everything that's going on, always wanting to watch everyone and listen to people's conversations.
    Change your name to Crazydays because all yours seem to be.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    francie wrote: »
    Dunno, gave up on the 4th sentence.

You missed out on some fairly amusing bonkers ranting. I liked the bit about virgin office workers not being able to use their 'pee pees'.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Itz cuz u luk lyke a chav.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Give over.
    You're getting all worked up for no reason. Unless you are famous, why do you imagine everyone is watching you and wanting to eavesdrop on your conversation?

Why do you think you are so incredibly scintillating?
  • Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Op certainly has a problem with people; examples people on DS, people that work in shops...who next just People in general?
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I never said that.

Yeah but we all know what you mean. Its It's ok, we are all friends here.

For your general shoplifting try getting to know the store layouts and worker patterns. Then you can make sure you are somewhere there's no cameras and no staff. Wear a big coat too obviously.

A good technique re the card readers is to get a heat sensitive camera and then take a snap of the keypad afterwards. You can then read the pin from the heat signature, before liberating the card from the unsuspecting mark.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your eyes are too close together.
  • Options
    James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think someone spends too much time in the crystal meth aisle..