Options

2014 Celebs. Who do we think?

Comments

• Options
    nyannienyannie Posts: 8,536
    Forum Member
    Aw I'm gutted about this :( I was really hoping he'd be in it! Maybe the Dave Berry rumours are true then ey!

Well, just saw that Mark Wright (from TOWIE) has signed up. Yuck!!!! Guess he is trying to rejuvenate his 'career' - he is pretty useless imo and certainly has no talent for presenting.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    nyannie wrote: »
    Well, just saw that Mark Wright (from TOWIE) has signed up. Yuck!!!! Guess he is trying to rejuvenate his 'career' - he is pretty useless imo and certainly has no talent for presenting.

Just saw that too and am absolutely appalled. Why do we need TOWIE people? Dreadful. It's enough to make me not want to watch and I love Strictly.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2706496/Mark-Wright-signs-Strictly-Come-Dancing-fiancee-Michelle-Keegan-opts-out.html

Mark Wright link but might be worth taking with a pinch of salt as the article claims he won IAC which isn't true
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    saw the judges photo shoot thread on the facebook page so the show is getting ready to come to town horray
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2706496/Mark-Wright-signs-Strictly-Come-Dancing-fiancee-Michelle-Keegan-opts-out.html

Mark Wright link but might be worth taking with a pinch of salt as the article claims he won IAC which isn't true

I was hoping it wasn't true :( I don't dislike him as a person, it's just I've always thought TOWIE personas wouldn't appear on Strictly.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw that too and am absolutely appalled. Why do we need TOWIE people? Dreadful. It's enough to make me not want to watch and I love Strictly.

I used to love Strictly but I lost affection for it after all the manipulations and hype of last series - I didn't think it could get any worse than last year but if the signings of both Gregg Wallace and Mark Wright are true then I guess it will be more of the same this year. I suppose after last year I should have been prepared for more tackiness, I was hoping for an improvement this year but the rumours just leave a lot to be desired - if this is all they can come up with in the so called 'year of the man' then it's a complete and utter joke! Mark Wright if he does it will have his PR agent on speed dial getting him into the tabloids everyday and Gregg Wallace will have BBC backing - so I guess they'll both get a good run on the show :(

Oh and if anyone wants to call me a 'snob'...........just save it, I've heard it all before!
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to reserve judgment on Mark Wright, if the rumours turn out to be true. Yes, I'm not a fan of TOWIE, and think Strictly should be able to do much, much better. However, if he turns out to be a good dancer, I won't begrudge him. For me, he's no different from anyone from Eastenders or Hollyoaks, who I don't consider to be much better as "celebrities" go IMHO. I wasn't a fan of Kara Tointon before she did Strictly, but she was an amazing dancer, and I was thrilled she rightly won her series.
  • Options
    DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    So disappointed in Strictly if they've signed Mark Wright.
  • Options
    StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    I'm not as opposed to Mark as others seem to be. Yes, it'd probably be preferable for Strictly to keep its run of resisting people from structured reality shows, but at least he's tried to make his name in other showbizzy areas (he has a show on Heart and has presented a couple of TV shows, albeit not that well). And after all, he wouldn't be the first contestant to have become famous via reality TV - Abbey/Kimberley, anyone? (sorry, let's not get into the debate of how Abbey became famous again...)

I'd be interested in seeing if people would consider him more or less 'worthy' of a place than people like Penny Lancaster or Jo Wood who are pretty much only known for their other halves?
  • Options
    Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I used to love Strictly but I lost affection for it after all the manipulations and hype of last series - I didn't think it could get any worse than last year but if the signings of both Gregg Wallace and Mark Wright are true then I guess it will be more of the same this year. I suppose after last year I should have been prepared for more tackiness, I was hoping for an improvement this year but the rumours just leave a lot to be desired - if this is all they can come up with in the so called 'year of the man' then it's a complete and utter joke! Mark Wright if he does it will have his PR agent on speed dial getting him into the tabloids everyday and Gregg Wallace will have BBC backing - so I guess they'll both get a good run on the show :(

Oh and if anyone wants to call me a 'snob'...........just save it, I've heard it all before!
    Nobody should call you a snob for having an opinion Topaz ;-) Regarding the 'year of the man' I really don't like this. It should be even every year. I do want more than two males with potential but it shouldn't be obvious from the start who is going to win.
    I'm not as opposed to Mark as others seem to be. Yes, it'd probably be preferable for Strictly to keep its run of resisting people from structured reality shows, but at least he's tried to make his name in other showbizzy areas (he has a show on Heart and has presented a couple of TV shows, albeit not that well). And after all, he wouldn't be the first contestant to have become famous via reality TV - Abbey/Kimberley, anyone? (sorry, let's not get into the debate of how Abbey became famous again...)

I'd be interested in seeing if people would consider him more or less 'worthy' of a place than people like Penny Lancaster or Jo Wood who are pretty much only known for their other halves?

I feel the same Stig. Apart from being very easy on the eye I do actually quite like Mark, he came over very well (imo) on IAC and he has done other things since TOWIE.
    As you said we always get at least one 'dodgy' signing and if this is it then fine by me :D
  • Options
    glen20glen20 Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to seeing Patricia Routledge in Strictly :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

We don't need any more reality 'stars' or Zed listers on SCD. Feel exactly the same way you do and unless there are some real stars or personalities, I won't watch. I really hope Mark Wright isn't going to appear - want him to disappear. . .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Damahepa wrote: »
    I'm going to reserve judgment on Mark Wright, if the rumours turn out to be true. Yes, I'm not a fan of TOWIE, and think Strictly should be able to do much, much better. However, if he turns out to be a good dancer, I won't begrudge him. For me, he's no different from anyone from Eastenders or Hollyoaks, who I don't consider to be much better as "celebrities" go IMHO. I wasn't a fan of Kara Tointon before she did Strictly, but she was an amazing dancer, and I was thrilled she rightly won her series.

Kara Tointon was a trained actress - not a reality wannabe. Mark Wright was truly awful as a presenter - and as for his 'solo' shows - well, talk about a switch off.

I do agree with you though, Strictly should do much much better - there must be some good sports stars or actors or actresses out there.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    The Sun are saying that Mark Wright, Judy Murray, Alan Hansen, Frankie Sandford and Helen Skelton are in. Quite liking the look of this line-up so far.

Mark has kind of transcended TOWIE at this point and seems a pretty nice guy, actually. It'd be nice if people could judge him on merit rather than why he's famous (as we did with the likes of Jo, Nancy, Penny and Abbey). I don't think a TOWIE-er is any trashier than a Hollyoaker (both manufactured nonsense for a teen audience) and he might be good, which'd be a novelty for a male contestant after last year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We don't need any more reality 'stars' or Zed listers on SCD. Feel exactly the same way you do and unless there are some real stars or personalities, I won't watch. I really hope Mark Wright isn't going to appear - want him to disappear. . .

I might be missing something here but would a line-up not quite to your taste really make you swtich off?

I can't think of any instance in which I'd turn off, really. People are talking as if they've just signed Rose West, when in reality, it's "him off TOWIE and Michelle Keegan".
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisy19 wrote: »
    Nobody should call you a snob for having an opinion Topaz ;-) Regarding the 'year of the man' I really don't like this. It should be even every year. I do want more than two males with potential but it shouldn't be obvious from the start who is going to win.

I feel the same Stig. Apart from being very easy on the eye I do actually quite like Mark, he came over very well (imo) on IAC and he has done other things since TOWIE.
    As you said we always get at least one 'dodgy' signing and if this is it then fine by me :D

Thanks Daisy - it's nice that some people on here can agree to disagree politely :) - just I've been persistantly sneered at/ridiculed on here and elsewhere just for being critical of certain contestant that took part last year and just because I speak out against not wanting certain sorts of rumoured 'celebs' on the show - it's just get tiresome after a while.

I agree with you about 'the year of the man' though - I no more want it than I wanted the 'year of the woman' last year' - to me last series was ruined because the producers made it clear they wanted a female winner by skewing the line up and not including any viable male contenders and then further ruined by hyping the female contestant they wanted to win who was someone I didn't like and couldn't respect - so that's why last years series was on the whole very dismal for me. So if it's just going to be the same this year but with the males then I may not be able to watch - especially if they're hyping a male contestant I don't like.

So far it's two dodgy signings for me though (Mark Wright and Gregg Wallace) - I guess Thom Evans could be interesing - he at least had a proper rugby career albeit sadly cut short by injury but he doesn't appeal to me for some reason - possibly because he seems quite vain in similar way to Mark Wright - if I decide to watch I'll reserve judgment about him though. But as nyannie has said for me to watch - the producers need to get some decent signings - otherwise it'll be adios from me, at least for this year - my life is stressful enough as it is & I used to love strictly and watched it for escapism from all the stress I'm under - I don't need the added stress of getting wound up watching a show I used to love decline in quality.

So I guess if Mark Wright has been signed then that means Dave Berry is out of the picture then - they wouldn't have two 'DJs' on or would they?
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

Remember they used to pretend Penny was a photographer!! Nothing will ever beat "Italian Siren"
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Remember they used to pretend Penny was a photographer!! Nothing will ever beat "Italian Siren"

Quite right. Mark Wright is practically the Queen of England signing to do the show compared to Nancy!
  • Options
    CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I don't know much about Mark but I admit there have been more dodgier signings than him before (some been mentioned already). He isn't involved in TOWIE any more am I right in thinking so at least a strong current association isn't there? I'd rather see him that some of the other rumours like Marcus or Joe - far more worse in terms of reality/zeleb background. The fact that he's in a serious relationship will also mean he should in theory be on best behaviour so there won't be the opportunity for the show to force a show-mance upon us. I'd hate for him to be the run-away fitty male winner from the start and hope he would at least have serious competition from another athletic male. I think he'd take the show seriously and would produce fantastic routines in both dance styles. Saying all this though, I would be disappointed if SCD have signed him but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. I reckon Iveta would get him.
  • Options
    Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sun are saying that Mark Wright, Judy Murray, Alan Hansen, Frankie Sandford and Helen Skelton are in. Quite liking the look of this line-up so far.

Mark has kind of transcended TOWIE at this point and seems a pretty nice guy, actually. It'd be nice if people could judge him on merit rather than why he's famous (as we did with the likes of Jo, Nancy, Penny and Abbey). I don't think a TOWIE-er is any trashier than a Hollyoaker (both manufactured nonsense for a teen audience) and he might be good, which'd be a novelty for a male contestant after last year!

I guess I agree. As I've said I don't dislike Mark, he seems okay. He's certainly a better signing than some other TOWIE stars they could've chosen (I think some Lauren Pope wanted to do it?), and he does have a semi-successful TV career.

Really liking the sound of Frankie and Helen too :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if we'll get a rumour in the Sunday papers, too?

We got Abbey and Teri Hatcher (well, not really with the latter) in the last week of July last year, and then Dave, Vanessa, Fiona and Tony all over the first week/ week-end of August so I imagine we might start hearing a lot more names over the next few weeks.

Alan Hansen is someone I'm not sure will be there but he's been mentioned a lot so far and it's been a while since the last footballer- and he's definitely got a bit of a profile.

Going by the Sun's rumour list (who I'm inclined to believe more than some of the other tabloids) I'd pair them as:

Judy Murray & Pasha Kovalev
    Helen Skelton & Tristan MacManus
    Frankie Sandford & Kevin Clifton

Alan Hansen & Karen Hauer
    Gregg Wallace & Ola Jordan
    Mark Wright & Iveta Lukosiute
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think anybody should be deciding to not watch Strictly just yet, we don't even have half the line-up yet so plenty of gaps to fill with people that are well liked :)

I'm liking it too. Ross Kemp not mentioned, neither Thom, Dave or Caroline Flack. Caroline has been rumoured numerously so i'm surprised they didn't name her.

Edit to add: According to google Mark Wright is 6'2, (he looks a lot smaller to me but there you go) so he could go to Natalie.
  • Options
    AmethyztAmethyzt Posts: 4,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't mind one way or t'other re Mark Wright. I think he will either be very very good from the off, or too self conscious and won't improve.

And, much prefer someone like him to Judy Murray - I presume this is the woman who is known for nothing other than her son playing tennis !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if we'll get a rumour in the Sunday papers, too?

We got Abbey and Teri Hatcher (well, not really with the latter) in the last week of July last year, and then Dave, Vanessa, Fiona and Tony all over the first week/ week-end of August so I imagine we might start hearing a lot more names over the next few weeks.

Oooh great, hopefully it will be the same this year then.
  • Options
    davegolddavegold Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amethyzt wrote: »
    And, much prefer someone like him to Judy Murray - I presume this is the woman who is known for nothing other than her son playing tennis !

Actually, Strictly is a step down for her since the Wimbledon final has higher viewing figures. She has two sons who are Wimbledon champions and she is currently the top coach for the women's team. She doesn't have to do it for money or profile or anything else. If she wants to do Strictly for the fun of it then I'm not complaining.