What happens when they speak foreign?

JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Watching friends just now, Joey has his Italian grandma in the flat and Phoebie starts talking to her in Italian, they make the joke 'wow, you speak Italian!?' 'I guess so'

I wonder on this though...
How would they do this on the Italian dub?
How do they dub the language that something is being dubbed into?

I know for instance on futurama with one clip they changed a joke about French into one about German. But what about cases where that cannot be done? Its obviously Italian no one understands but its an Italian dub. English?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    In Spain when characters speak Spanish in a US Import they used to change it in the dub to italian where possible. Nowadays they don't and they just keep it as is.
  • JosquiusJosquius Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    In Spain when characters speak Spanish in a US Import they used to change it in the dub to italian where possible. Nowadays they don't and they just keep it as is.

And did they say why are you speaking Spanish or something like that?

What I really wonder about is say what if the characters go to Paris, its obviously Paris, but they don't know French and they can't understand the locals. How would the French do that...
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a comedy show (I'm think KYTV (if anyone remembers that)) did a version of Fawlty Towers dubbed for Spain. It had Basil speaking Spanish, then Manuel talking like a cockney, then Sybil saying the Spanish for "He's from Birmingham"
  • crystal_methcrystal_meth Posts: 8,379
    Forum Member
    Dubbing has surely got to be the crappest thing ever. There's so many questions that arise from it.

I'd prefer subtitles any day but I'm guessing in some countries that comedies like 'Friends' get exported to, a lot of people are low literacy.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    My friend spent a year in Belgium as part of her degree about 10 years ago. She said her local channel always used to show that episode of the Simpsons when Bart was in France. Dubbed into French. With the English subtitles when he speaks French. She thought it was most odd.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So when they keep it as is, do they have the "dubbing" voice say the words, or do they use the original actors voice?
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    In the German dub of Malcolm in the Middle, Francis's German boss is Danish. In the Spanish dub of Scrubs, Carla is Italian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the German dub of Malcolm in the Middle, Francis's German boss is Danish. In the Spanish dub of Scrubs, Carla is Italian.

They say she's Italian or she just speaks it?
    As....that makes no sense. I mean...its still meant to be set in America right?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Dubbing has surely got to be the crappest thing ever. There's so many questions that arise from it.

I know it is. I remember watching some US and UK shows on German TV on holiday once and I coud only watch a few seconds! It sounded so fake to the point of being unwatchable. It would have been better with subtitles.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    Has a foreign show ever been dubbed into English and shown in this country? For that matter, has a foreign show ever been subtitled and shown in this country? I know we get foreign films, but any TV shows?

Or are we destined to only ever get imports from America and Australia? I wonder if we are missing out on some cracking stuff...
  • zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lew1 wrote: »
    Has a foreign show ever been dubbed into English and shown in this country?
    Monkey! :)
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Has a foreign show ever been dubbed into English and shown in this country? For that matter, has a foreign show ever been subtitled and shown in this country? I know we get foreign films, but any TV shows?

Or are we destined to only ever get imports from America and Australia? I wonder if we are missing out on some cracking stuff...

When Channel 4 first started they showed two European soaps dubbed into English - the French "Chateauvallon" and the German "Schwartzwaldklinik". Neither lasted more than a season...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It reminds me of an episode of Futurama where Farnsworth has a machine that only translates a dead language, which was French. But in the French version it was translating German!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    Monkey! :)

That is all that really springs to mind without going into animation but they're dubbed anyway.
    Then of course there's movies. Lots of Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films get shown on British TV, dubbed.

Subbed though we've rather a lot. See BBC4.
    Forum Member

I'd prefer subtitles any day [B]but I'm guessing in some countries that comedies like 'Friends' get exported to, a lot of people are low literacy[/B].

:confused: So people in countries where English is not the native language are stupid???? :confused: Don't know what you mean there! Are people low literacy cos they need a show dubbed into their language cos they don't speak English?? Please, explain...

Dubbing happens in most countries where English is not the main language. Most nations that do dub shows to their local languages usually aired the original soundtrack via the old analogue broadcasts - can't recall the name of the system they used though. Nowadays all non-native shows are available with original soundtrack via digital.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: So people in countries where English is not the native language are stupid???? :confused: Don't know what you mean there! Are people low literacy cos they need a show dubbed into their language cos they don't speak English?? Please, explain...

Dubbing happens in most countries where English is not the main language. Most nations that do dub shows to their local languages usually aired the original soundtrack via the old analogue broadcasts - can't recall the name of the system they used though. Nowadays all non-native shows are available with original soundtrack via digital.

Depends on the country.
    The bigger countries like France, Germany, Spain, Italy tend towards dubbing I believe. Also, quite oddly, the Czech Republic.
    But in Finland, Sweden and the Netherlands at least I know they just sub except for programmes for very young children.
    Its quite funny really- on Swedish TV they show Emmerdale just with subs.
    Forum Member
    Josquius wrote: »
    Depends on the country.
    The bigger countries like France, Germany, Spain, Italy tend towards dubbing I believe. Also, quite oddly, the Czech Republic.
    But in Finland, Sweden and the Netherlands at least I know they just sub except for programmes for very young children.
    Its quite funny really- on Swedish TV they show Emmerdale just with subs.

So you would consider people who don't speak English to be "low literacy"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you would consider people who don't speak English to be "low literacy"?

:confused:
    err....some of them certainly.

I think the point he was making wasn't "Foreigners stoopid!!" but that Friends gets shown all over the world. There's guys in huts in Africa watching it. Many countries do indeed have low literacy.
    Forum Member
    :confused:
    err....some of them certainly.

I think the point he was making wasn't "Foreigners stoopid!!" but that Friends gets shown all over the world. There's guys in huts in Africa watching it. Many countries do indeed have low literacy.

Agreed, but you can't seriously think that someone is "low literacy" simply because they don't speak English when it isn't even their own native tongue.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC have a problem with British accents.

Often Scottish people in documentaries with a bit of an accent have their words subtitled,

Whilst conversely, Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, but you can't seriously think that someone is "low literacy" simply because they don't speak English when it isn't even their own native tongue.

That wouldn't be the low literacy point; that would be the subtitles to explain what is being said in English. If you don't speak English and you can't read then you're rather stuck for knowing what's going on.
    A native French speaker who has low literacy skills thus needs French dubbing.
    Forum Member
    That wouldn't be the low literacy point; that would be the subtitles to explain what is being said in English.
    A native French speaker who has low literacy skills thus needs French dubbing.

Ah understand now. Someone who requires subs for their own native language..that's what you mean right??? Phew, for a minute I seriously thought you were saying that non native English speakers were low literacy becauuse they didn't speak english regarless that it wasn't their own language :D
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member

You've clearly never heard of BBC4 then, have you?
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some people are missing out on some cracking stuff, but others are not. "Wallander", a Swedish detective drama with English subtitles, which gets shown on BBC-4, was absolutely brilliant this evening.
    Forum Member
    Im really grateful to having access to Spanish TV. As a result I have been able to access hundreds of quality Euro-produced dramas over the years. Stuff like Wallander normally airs on Spanish TV which like I say, over the years has screened excellent crime dramas from Germany, france, Italy and many other Euro nations. Although not fond of dubbing, and being fluent in Spanish, I have had to watch with spanish dub cos unfortunately I don't speak any languages other than English and Spanish. Nonetheless I have enjoyed many great Euro productions which if it weren't for Spanish TV i probably would never have watched.

I really applaud BBC4 in their screening of non-English language dramas and really hope that in tie they can increase the number of foreiggn imports on the channel. It would be great for BBC4 to expand its current broadcast hours so that they could fit in more drama.