Options

Red or Black?, ITV1 - Official Thread

HMOHMO Posts: 42,227
Forum Member
Heard about this new game show on ITV1 that starts on ITV1 on Saturday at 7pm. Watching the adverts, and hearing that it's the most expensive game show ever, I have a feeling this could be an exciting show.

Comments

• Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling it'll be a massively drawn out, overly hyped coin toss.

Just add sob stories, six billion ad-breaks, too much talking and mix well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't tend to go for solely luck based shows.
  • Options
    lavertyglavertyg Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    Another example of itv throwing a load of money at something hoping it will be a hit. And what a waste of ant and decs talent, they are much better than this rubbish itv keep throwing at them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Ant and dec talented???? mmmm ill pass on that one thanks,but this is another of simon cowells babies so Its got to be a hit for ITV hasnt it???
  • Options
    RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see this is the "official" thread - could someone explain what this actually means - is there another thread that is in some way "unofficial" ?

Do Ant and Dec post in this one ?

(btw I am sure the programme will be over-hyped shite)
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll certainly tune in when its on as I love Ant and Dec, however, I have a sneaky feeling that its been hyped up so much over the last week or so, I'll feel a bit let down when it finally arrives.

But I hope to be proved wrong :p
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Malik24 wrote: »
    I don't tend to go for solely luck based shows.
    Agreed. Where's the fun in that? It's just chance. They can make it as dramatic as they like in terms of staging but I don't feel I'm going to care all that much one way or another if a random choice is all it boils down to. Other shows like this, such as the ridiculously simplistic Heads or Tails, haven't floated my boat either.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems like it's going to be an amalgramation of Ultra Quiz, Runaround and You Bet.
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this! The ads look great for it and hopefully it won't be drawn out.

Plus, Ant and Dec are presenting, so ofcourse I'll be watching. I'd love to see Ant and Dec doing one of the 'stunts' or even a bush tucker trial in I'm A Celeb, instead of presenting and taking the mick and laughing at whoever it is if they can't do whatever it is.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's usually the case that the larger the prize the smaller the entertainment, they only win a teapot on Countdown but it is by far the most entertaining game show on TV.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else really not bothered by this?
    I used to love quiz/money winning type shows but these days there are SOOOOO many I am totally bored by them all. Love Ant & Dec but not on this type of show. Having said that, I DID enjoy Poker Face. What happened to that.
    And what has happened to Golden Balls. That show I DID love:(
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    It's usually the case that the larger the prize the smaller the entertainment, they only win a teapot on Countdown but it is by far the most entertaining game show on TV.

Quite right, this programme is yet another attempt at giving away a million to attract viewers but it's old hat already as the first million pound prize has been and gone years ago.

The problem with the quiz shows is either the punters are too thick to get to the end or they bottle out at one of the exit points, this one seems to want to reduce the punters input to the lowest common denominator, heads/tails red/black.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    I am wondering if the only bit worth watching will be the live gamble at the end. I can see myself recording it and fast forwarding through it to the end bit or just watching the second results show each night. It really depends on how its done. I will certainly watch the first show right through and decide after that if it is worth watching the first bit each night.
  • Options
    charmarrcharmarr Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so glad my other half can't stand Ant and Dec either.
    I will look on here now and again to see how all you hype believers are doing.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a feeling it'll be a massively drawn out, overly hyped coin toss.

Just add sob stories, six billion ad-breaks, too much talking and mix well.

...plus a variety of Cowell ex-X Factor singing acts for extra, and totally irrelevant to the format, padding - et voila...

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boksbox wrote: »
    Quite right, this programme is yet another attempt at giving away a million to attract viewers but it's old hat already as the first million pound prize has been and gone years ago.

You have got a valid point but it has been 4 & 1/2 years since a civillian walked away from a television show with a £1 million cheque.
  • Options
    IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets give the show a chance before anyone slags it off! I'm a great believer in giving something a chance so will be watching it tonight. I don't think Ant and Dec are bad presenters either, nothing different to the majority of other presenters.
    bobcar wrote: »

You have a point with a lot of shows. On my favourite game show, The Crystal Maze, they usually got nothing more than a replica crystal but the entertainment is gave by watching and probably by playing really made up for the lack of prizes.

However both Millionaire and X Factor, both offering something life changing have got quite stale after a few years.

I hope Red or Black does prove to be good but if it doesn't there are always repeats of Crystal Maze and Blockbusters to watch on Challenge!
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just had a look at its Wikipedia entry.. and it looks *terrible*! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_or_Black%3F

Re other godawful shows... it'll be interesting to see what the ratings are for Epic Win and Celeb Total Wipeout are this week - considering BBC2's airing Carry On Loving at the same time...
  • Options
    GroundhogalGroundhogal Posts: 9,491
    Forum Member
    Makes Deal Or No Deal sound like Mastermind:rolleyes:
  • Options
    alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thinking generally... don't the current crop ofSaturday night programmes look a bit like an OFCOM-friendly version of the lineup mentioned in Stephen King's The Running Man (the book rather than the film)?

What the hell happened? Yeah - I know Blankety Blank, the Gen Game etc etc were pretty crap.. but at least they HAD production values and didn't insult intelligence too much..
  • Options
    Dare DevilDare Devil Posts: 118,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only just found out this is a $imon Cowell thing - all of a sudden, I've been put off watching it. It's obvious it'll be exactly like x factor, manipulated, drawn out as long as possible for "suspense", predictable and possibly fixed winners/loosers....

And why is it on at 7 and at 9.15? I'll probably still watch it, I really enjoy Ant&Dec, but it's time $imon realised he's no longer needed in tv anymore, he's manipulated it enough and made enough people look like idiots and got enough money from twisting and manipulating things. Time's up, $imon Cowell.
  • Options
    boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course the other point I forgot to mention was that relying a black/red decison the production team can control the timing of the big finish.
    e.g. with Million Pound Drop or Who Wants to be a Millionaire the big question might come at any point of the programme if it a live series during the week etc whereas with red or black they'll be able to control the time of the finish to be say 19:50-19:55 ish i.e. just before X Factor to get the audience at its peak for the ads.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds the worst idea for a TV show in history. It makes Deal or No Deal look like Mastermind.
  • Options
    Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might watch it, but it'll be recording, Doctor Who's on at the same time!

ITV gameshows haven't had much appeal for me recently. Although I did like The Whole 19 Yards and Poker Face a while back. They've been the only 2 in the past 8 years or so I've really watched.
This discussion has been closed.