So worried about my son starting secondary school tomorrow

gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
Forum Member
I know I'm just being stupid but I am so worried. Not sleeping great and just feel really anxious about the whole thing.

My son is fine, he is excited, he has been well prepared by his new school - they had all the new kids doing sport once a week for 4 weeks so he has already made some new friends and is looking forward to it.

So why am I so scared? I don't want him to be bullied like I was and everything is going to change isn't it :(

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son starts tomorrow, I feel similar but it's just that it's all new to us and our kids are growing up too fast, sure they will be fine :)
  • LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Awww I think you're just coming to terms with the fact that he's growing up.

Be proud that you've raised a sociable young man who's looking forward to going to school.
    Don't let him pick up your fears, be excited for him and with him.

Good luck xx
  • gorsewaygirlgorsewaygirl Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I am being positive with him. I've told him I'm excited for him and how much more fun senior school is than juniors but inside I feel like crying.
    He's my first born and his little sister is just going in to year 4. It just feels like they are all growing up and he's not going to need me anymore like he has done.
    I know it's good that he is confident about it all and not worried, I've made sure he's got all the stuff he's going to need, the 'right' shoes and bag and so on.
    I don't know - just being stupid aren't I. My husband says I don't need to worry and he'll be fine. I'll probably feel better after his first day won't I.
  • john_smithskijohn_smithski Posts: 221
    Forum Member
    im sure if he is bullied he will tell you . make sure he is calm when he goes and stay positive
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Bless you, OP.

I taught in a secondary schools for 38 years and I can assure you that in all that time there were very few (fingers of one hand) problems when kids first started.

I think you are just realising that time is passing and your wee boy is growing up. (((((hug)))))

Look how easily I give advice!! I cried my heart out when my wee lass started school :o.

:D
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am being positive with him. I've told him I'm excited for him and how much more fun senior school is than juniors but inside I feel like crying.
    He's my first born and his little sister is just going in to year 4. It just feels like they are all growing up and he's not going to need me anymore like he has done. .

I think my Mum experienced the same thing. Sadly her fears were eventually proved correct - by the time I went off to uni I was fully independent and was bad at staying in touch. I'm sure your son will be better at all that when the time comes. :)
    Forum Member
    The thing is - he's not such a little boy. He's really tall, 5' 5", so he doesn't really seem like a baby - and I've not babied him because he's always looked older than he actually is with his height.

It is the growing up thing really isn't it. Realising I can't keep him with me all the time anymore. The growing independence that is developing - making his own decisions. I've just got to get used to the change I suppose. I'm sure I'll be better after he's had his first day.

I am going to try and stay positive :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    You sound like such a great mum. I am sure your son will be fine at his new school. Yes, everything is changing, but you'll always be his mum, and he will always love you, and need you in some way. I know it's natural to worry, but try (i know, easier said than done) not to worry and try to enjoy this new chapter in his (and your) life and try not to worry about the 'what if's'.It (hopefully) may never happen. Don't let the fear of 'what if' spoil this new chapter of your families lives. Try to stay positive and take it one day at a time.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's my first born and his little sister is just going in to year 4. It just feels like they are all growing up and he's not going to need me anymore like he has done.
    I know it's good that he is confident about it all and not worried, I've made sure he's got all the stuff he's going to need, the 'right' shoes and bag and so on.
    I don't know - just being stupid aren't I. My husband says I don't need to worry and he'll be fine. I'll probably feel better after his first day won't I.

It's hard, isn't it? The more successful you are as a mother, the less they need you, and the more they're capable of standing on their own feet. :)

Your boy will be fine - and you'll find they need you in different ways when they grow up. (Mine need me to babysit the grandchildren. :))
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    I know I'm just being stupid but I am so worried. Not sleeping great and just feel really anxious about the whole thing.

My son is fine, he is excited, he has been well prepared by his new school - they had all the new kids doing sport once a week for 4 weeks so he has already made some new friends and is looking forward to it.

So why am I so scared? I don't want him to be bullied like I was and everything is going to change isn't it :(

No-one wants their child to be bullied and schools have a much better record at dealing with this now, than they did when I was a kid. I think every parent is anxious when their child starts school, it's just how and when you show it, isn't it - most people keep it to themselves, because MOST children don't get bullied. Just as long as the child is comfortable telling you any problems they have, you should be fine. Don't go down the road of wrapping the child in cotton wool and insisting on driving them there 'in case they're bullied', children have to gain independence and autonomy, and intervening like this isn't going to help. We had one parent at a school I was a governor at whose parent insisted on trying to walk the child to their desk.
  • MillyCMillyC Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember feeling just like you OP, I couldn't sleep for the thought of my lovely boy going to 'big school' and he didn't much like the idea either :(

When the time came, it was an anxious day but he returned home and he was all smiles. His fears came to nothing but good fun.

Seems like only yesterday. He's 33 now, still loves his Mum and I still worry about him, bless him :D

All will be well, you'll see :)
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a bit nervy about my daughter starting secondary school so I empathize with you OP. It's only natural.(((Big hugs)))
  • saffron_starsaffron_star Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just the same a year ago when my daughter started Secondary school and she was pretty anxious too. It took her a good term to get settled in so bear that in mind. We got in the habit of her doing her homework at the kitchen table after school to do her homework so that I could support her with that while I cooked dinner. She used it as a time too to talk to me about boys and all that stuff.
    Your son will still need you but in different ways. Boys aren't always so good at opening up but make sure he has opportunity to do just that. Things will be changing for him as he grows up but inside he is still a little boy so bear that in mind. I am sure he will be fine!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    It's perfectly natural to be concerned, but you just have to accept that schools, particularly secondary schools, are a hive of corruption and utter bellends that you would normally keep your kids well away from.
  • lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My son started yesterday, I'd been feeling sick all week - he's only just turned 11, an only child, his Dad was working away, he'd fallen out with some friends, he'd just lost his rabbit , he doesnt know anyone at new school and it just all seemed too much.

I left him at the Playground looking utterly lost & I cried all the way to work.

Picked him up afterwards and he was bouncing about telling me all about his new friends & teachers... Feel much better now, kids cope with things much better than we give them credit for!

Good luck, I wont say dont worry because you will, just have confidence that you've brought him up to be well-adjusted & happy & that you cant go through the experience for him x
  • MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having friends is the important thing. It tends to be the children who are isolated that are seen as an easy target for bullies. But. as you say, he has already made friends.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

NO NO NO. You are not being stupid at all. You are just a loving Mum. Don't hide or deny your feelings, they are normal. I could cry buckets at the moment for all mine as they are all entering new stages in their lives and although wonderful and correct its hard and an emotional time.

It's far easier to accept your feelings than try and ignore them and pretend its all ok. Have a cry, feel sorry for yourself in private and then plaster that smile for when he comes home.

It's so easy for husbands or whoever to say 'not to worry'.

Hope all goes well for you both. You won't be on your own with your feelings...I have cried numerous times in the night just recently. Buy yourself a bunch of flowers, you deserve it.
    Forum Member
    Definitely will have a smile on my face - I have told myself this. I will not cry in front of him and will send him off tomorrow as he walks to meet his friends with a big hug, a smile and his favourite sandwich in his bag!

I will worry all day (that is a given) and then he will burst through the door with a big smile and give me an edited version of his day. And how much he enjoyed it. And then I will worm all the juicy details out of him and he will laugh at me like he usually does.

Have read some of my friends FB messages whose children have started at different schools today and they all seem to have made new friends and enjoyed themselves.

So that is how it is going to be for my son - and this positive thinking is going to get me some sleep tonight...
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I think it's a mother's perogative to worry, lord knows mine does (still now I'm in my twenties). He'll be fine I'm sure. First year of high school is probably the easiest to be honest, playground politics only really gets going during second and third year from my experience.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    He's one of what - about 10 million kids all going through the same thing today & tomorrow. Our youngest is one of that lot; OH is worried sick about him, I reckon he'll come out full of grins & tales what a great day he had. In a month's time it'll just be the daily routine. Enjoy the worrying, then get on with being a good mother to him.

:)
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MillyC wrote: »
    I remember feeling just like you OP, I couldn't sleep for the thought of my lovely boy going to 'big school' and he didn't much like the idea either :(

When the time came, it was an anxious day but he returned home and he was all smiles. His fears came to nothing but good fun.

Seems like only yesterday. He's 33 now
    , still loves his Mum and I still worry about him, bless him :D

All will be well, you'll see :)

Snap! My son is 33 and it just feels like yesterday that he was setting of in his too- big royal blue blazer.:D I wasn't anxious as he was ready for secondary school and he was looking forward to it too.
  • VisitingVisiting Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    The thing is - he's not such a little boy. He's really tall, 5' 5", so he doesn't really seem like a baby - and I've not babied him because he's always looked older than he actually is with his height.

It is the growing up thing really isn't it. Realising I can't keep him with me all the time anymore. The growing independence that is developing - making his own decisions. I've just got to get used to the change I suppose. I'm sure I'll be better after he's had his first day.

I am going to try and stay positive :)

That's the spirit! :)
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't let him see that you are scared. or you'll communicate nerves to him. It's only natural to be anxious for him, but he sounds like he's going to cope just fine. Most of them do.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    My sons taxi has just picked him up for his first day at secondary (we aren't posh he's autistic and going to SEN school)

Sat here twiddling my fingers when he was at primary we were still getting ready to walk there!
    Forum Member
    Well he's gone - happy as he wandered off down the road with his mate. I've been up since 6 though, just couldn't sleep, but it all went smoothly. Feel calmer now and he did look so smart all dressed up with his tie and blazer. Looking forward to this afternoon now so I can find out how it all went. I hope he's going to have a fab day *fingers crossed