men- off the shoulder bag or backpack

Comments

• QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use both. A shoulder bag for work and a backpack for casual things.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rucksack over one shoulder for the gym and manbag across the chest for flights and rail travel. Otherwise keys, wallet and mobile in pockets.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carrying a large camera bag is one of those things that really belongs in the "trivial things that really annoy you" thread. The natural instinct is to carry it over one shoulder, but apart from giving you backache, the damned thing's always slipping off, especially if when wearing a waterproof jacket. One solution is to wear the strap diagonally across the chest, but I always find this feels uncomfortable. A backpack is obviously best, but not always for easy access.

I must admit that because I find the idea of carrying a bag a bit girlie, I always use my camera bag if I need to carry stuff around. Far more butch :D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »
    Which do you prefer?

I personally prefer a off the shoulder bag so you don't end up with a bad back and only one shoulder that hurts rather then two.

i`m not a man but i don`t do handbags.

i use a back pack because i can carry more weight, it`s more comfortable and using a bag with a shoulder strap instead of evenly distributing it in a two strapped pack is very bad for your back.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member

What the heck does everyone on this thread have to carry when they go out?
    Phone, card, money, key.
    Two pockets.
    Sorted.

all the usual stuff plus camera and lenses always and laptop too very often.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Neither. I have designed a far superior solution. I made it out of an old fitted bedsheet with some seamstress help from a friend of mine. It is effectively like a kangaroo pouch; you put it over your head and it has an elasticated waist. All the weight is taken by your shoulders so it is good for your back, and everything you need is easily findable just by pulling it out and looking down - no need to keep taking it off and putting it back on. Plus, you can leave it on as you work and you have an instant repository of office papers and stationery right there!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Neither. I have designed a far superior solution. I made it out of an old fitted bedsheet with some seamstress help from a friend of mine. It is effectively like a kangaroo pouch; you put it over your head and it has an elasticated waist. All the weight is taken by your shoulders so it is good for your back, and everything you need is easily findable just by pulling it out and looking down - no need to keep taking it off and putting it back on. Plus, you can leave it on as you work and you have an instant repository of office papers and stationery right there!

Could you post a photo of that bag?
  • TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    a pal of mine always had a shoulder bag............I was always shocked to see that he kept his wallet in it........:o

I think wallets should always be in trouser pockets !

Easy pickings for thieves.
    They are so quick and clever, you wouldn't know its gone
    In Spain many men use shoulder bags, it's the best and safest way to carry valuable stuff
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither. An on-the-shoulder bag for me, on the bike. With lightweight waterproof trousers rolled up, a couple of Gerber multitool thingies, a packet of Tescos wetwipes, a disposable razor....and a packet of three.

The latter is for repairing motorcycle cv carbs at the side of the road; you can get the required superglue nearly everywhere, but not necessarily rubber of the correct grade to patch a carburettor diaphragm!
  • dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i use an old Norwegian Telemark Backpack, It's one of a few packs i have, all different sizes. I Wouldn't consider using anything else.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    So basically, you mean a pinnie. :D
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    i use a back pack because i can carry more weight, it`s more comfortable and using a bag with a shoulder strap instead of evenly distributing it in a two strapped pack is very bad for your back.

A decent rucksack has a frame (separates the rucksack from the back to help stop sweat spots), lumbar support (padding and strap around the lower back/waist to stop sideways movement of the rucksack) and well padded shoulder straps. Standard backpacks and shoulder bags (*) IMO are only suitable for short distances.

(*) I have a 120 litre Berghaus shoulder bag. It's huge and indestructible, but I wouldn't walk with it any great distance > 1 mile at a time. It's not designed for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither of you would make a great courier :) My record was a full box of A4 copier paper, a gallon container of piss (don't ask) and a bottle of champagne in a wooden presentation box - in a shoulder bag from Belfast to Dublin...
  • the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    I use a backpack, and only while travelling. When I'm carrying something heavy such as a DSLR camera I still have to avoid bottom loading the bag because it causes some strain on the spine/back. I stuff a spare piece of clothing such as a sweater in the bottom and put heavier stuff on top. I have a Herschel backpack, which although looks nice and smart is not as practical as perhaps a Berghaus.

I used an OTS bag while in university and even when I draped it across my torso it still cut into my shoulder and I hated it bouncing off my hip.
  • RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Either. Whichever is closest to the door when I'm leaving :D
    Forum Member
    Neither of you would make a great courier :) My record was a full box of A4 copier paper, a gallon container of piss (don't ask) and a bottle of champagne in a wooden presentation box - in a shoulder bag from Belfast to Dublin...

Yes. But how far did you have to carry these items on foot, because presumably you didn't walk the whole distance between Belfast and Dublin (100 miles approx).

You could have stuffed the whole lot into a big plastic bag and bunged it in the back of a car or on the back of a motorbike, but would you want to walk more than a mile carrying those items in a plastic bag or even a shoulder bag.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Yes. But how far did you have to carry these items on foot, because presumably you didn't walk the whole distance between Belfast and Dublin (100 miles approx).

You could have stuffed the whole lot into a big plastic bag and bunged it in the back of a car or on the back of a motorbike, but would you want to walk more than a mile carrying those items in a plastic bag or even a shoulder bag.

I could indeed have....but I didn't, I never liked a top box or panniers when I was working. That was 108 miles from Belfast to Dublin by motorcycle with them in a shoulder bag....this being a thread about shoulder bags or rucksacks.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use a backpack to carry all my photographic gear....both arms through it as it would seriously hurt my neck and back if it was hanging on one strap.

BTW, I'm 61 and wear trainers or boots :p
  • radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a manbag, it hangs off my shoulder just like ladies do with theirs.
    Forum Member
    I could indeed have....but I didn't, I never liked a top box or panniers when I was working. That was 108 miles from Belfast to Dublin by motorcycle with them in a shoulder bag....this being a thread about shoulder bags or rucksacks.

Hardcore/glutton for punishment (*) eh!

That gear (including the now infamous gallon of piss) (**) would easily fit into my Karrimor Panther 4 rucksack and as it has a built in metal frame wouldn't have the contents digging into my back to any great extent.

(*) Delete as applicable.
    (**) Now you've told us, we need to know the story behind that. Yes. We do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simple. At the time I had just been diagnosed with having far too much adrenaline in my bloodstream...and one possibility was a particular type of tumour that was in effect a few cells from one's adrenal gland breaking off and seeding elsewhere - and starting to put out extra adrenaline. There's an eleven syllable name for it.

The problem was.....to positively diagnose it required a 24-hour urine collection during a normal working day. Except my normal working day included 10 hours as a motorcycle courier, with a further hour and a half's commute at either side of it. So while the average person could keep their nice NHS gallon container in their desk bottom drawer, or their car boot.....mine had to be carried on my person on the bike.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    back pack bag..........I never leave home without it

in winter it's got my gloves, hats, scarf in case it turns nippy, then things like headache pills, spare glasses, shopping bags, pen, paper

in summer water bottles, small towel

That's me too!
    Forum Member
    Simple. At the time I had just been diagnosed with having far too much adrenaline in my bloodstream...and one possibility was a particular type of tumour that was in effect a few cells from one's adrenal gland breaking off and seeding elsewhere - and starting to put out extra adrenaline. There's an eleven syllable name for it.

The problem was.....to positively diagnose it required a 24-hour urine collection during a normal working day. Except my normal working day included 10 hours as a motorcycle courier, with a further hour and a half's commute at either side of it. So while the average person could keep their nice NHS gallon container in their desk bottom drawer, or their car boot.....mine had to be carried on my person on the bike.

Thanks for explaining. Are you alright now?
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Backpack because i don't need a purse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Thanks for explaining. Are you alright now?

There was never any problem :DOf course my system was constantly full of adrenaline...I was a motorcycle courier!