Options

Why do some films never get a Terrestial TV premiere?

Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Three examples

Contagion (2011)
Sherlock Holmes (2009)
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011).

Any other examples?

Comments

• Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a difference between "never" and "waiting a long time until".

The first Sherlock Holmes film is a bit of an oddity as it has been out a long time, but then again they only recently had the Dark Knight's terrestrial premiere and that is from 2008. Inception is the big one that I'm hoping will have it's premiere sometime soon.

Also I did start a thread about this issue a few months ago, but I can't find it now.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure Contagion been on Film 4 has it not?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cowboys and aliens
    rango
    melancholia
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe 9 songs (2004) has ever been shown on tv, presumably too explicit.
  • Options
    Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    E.T. didn't get its UK TV premiere until Christmas 1990, only eight years but given how absolutely huge the film was it seems astonishingly late.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I don't believe 9 songs (2004) has ever been shown on tv, presumably too explicit.

Ofcom has told C4 before that they can't show hardcore imagery even if the film has a bbfc 18 certificate & it's in a post midnight slot, I believe it was Haneke's The Piano Teacher they wanted to show uncut. Don't imagine 9 songs will be on ITV anytime.

Would assume there will be less film premieres going forward as you now have Netflix and other streaming services competing with Sky and the others for exclusives.
  • Options
    Shak2005Shak2005 Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP the films u mentioned are only 4 years old but there are several from the 2000s that are over 6, 7, 8 years old that still havent premiered like

Southland Tales (2006)
    Bobby (2006)
    Get Smart (2008)
  • Options
    lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Of course there's probably loads of older films that haven't been shown on terrestrial (although is it still terrestrial now we have digital?). More controversial ones have been shown on Film4, such as Crash.

I suppose they have to cater for their market so it is more likely to be mainstream films that premiere.
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Pretty sure Contagion been on Film 4 has it not?

Nope.

As for the answer to the OP's question, it's because the distributors are asking too much money for the broadcast rights.
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob Zombie's Halloween still hasn't been shown on freeview. That was released in 2007.Neither has The Collector (2009), Nightmare on Elm Street (2010), Black Christmas (2006).
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The two recent Warner 'Titans' films are still awaiting their premieres too so I guess there is something up with films from that studio (as mentioned S Holmes x 2, Inception, Get Smart).

Half the available MCU films (Iron Man 2, Thor and Cap America) are also yet to premier along with Transformers 3. Strange as a lot of films come on pretty quickly these days (2-2.5 yrs after release compared to 3-3.5 as it used to be)
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E.T. didn't get its UK TV premiere until Christmas 1990, only eight years but given how absolutely huge the film was it seems astonishingly late.

My memory is vague but IIRC correctly the VHS had only just been released earlier that year. Don't recall why it took so long but it was something to do with trying to avoid piracy.

Also, I think it was a world TV premier so this one wasn't just delayed in the UK.
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    yaristaman wrote: »
    My memory is vague but IIRC correctly the VHS had only just been released earlier that year. Don't recall why it took so long but it was something to do with trying to avoid piracy.

Also, I think it was a world TV premier so this one wasn't just delayed in the UK.

There were two BBC World Premieres of films on Christmas Day. E.T. was indeed one of them. The other was on Christmas Day 1975 when BBc1 Had the world television premiere of Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid. That was six years old at the time but E.T. was eight years old in 1990.
  • Options
    sickparrotsickparrot Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has '40 Year Old Virgin' been on yet?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sickparrot wrote: »
    Has '40 Year Old Virgin' been on yet?

ITV2 had it on every few weeks for ages.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty sure inception was on channel 4
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I find it really surprising that iron man 2, thor and captain America have not been showed, though we have had the avengers, which makes is a bit strange as that comes after those movies. You would think marvel would want their films on TV to help promote their universe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Ofcom has told C4 before that they can't show hardcore imagery even if the film has a bbfc 18 certificate & it's in a post midnight slot, I believe it was Haneke's The Piano Teacher they wanted to show uncut. Don't imagine 9 songs will be on ITV anytime.

The thing is 9 songs isn't even particularly erotic, if anything it's actually rather dull.
  • Options
    intruder2kintruder2k Posts: 318
    Forum Member

It wasn't.

As ever, if you want to check whether a film's been on, visit viewfilm.net
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cowboys and Aliens has been on TV I am sure,
    because I have watched it.And I certainly would
    NOT have paid cinema prices to watch something
    as bad as that!
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E.T wasn't released on VHS until 1988
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say it is the combination of too many awful films being made and the the fact that they can feel the schedules on digital channels such as ITV 3 and ITV 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    Cowboys and Aliens has been on TV I am sure,
    because I have watched it.And I certainly would
    NOT have paid cinema prices to watch something
    as bad as that!

It hasn't been on terrestrial TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was just a perception inside your mind. :D
  • Options
    Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming you have a decent internet connection, If anybody really wants to see Inception, Cowboys & Aliens or one of the Marvel movies, it is probably best to get a Roku and subscriptions to Netflix and Amazon Prime. The Roku might set you back £45, but you'd get free trials which would enable you to view the films you want. Considering a VHS bought in 1990 would cost the equivalent of £35 in today's money, it really isn't that bad of a deal.