Cristiano Ronaldo

Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3073637/Has-Cristiano-Ronaldo-donated-5million-help-Nepal.html

Personally, I've always thought great player, bit of a vain, shallow cock. But heard a few stories recently about his generosity with his time and money.

If this link is true, then what a great gesture.

Comments

• ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this about him supposedly donating to the Nepal Earthquake? I think I saw something last night but don't want to go on there as I'll end up seeing the F1 qualifying results :D
    IMO he is the best player in the World and despite agreeing with you that he comes across as vain and shallow I still can;t help but like him and I definitely would :D haha.
    Very kind and
  • viva.espanaviva.espana Posts: 8,500
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3073637/Has-Cristiano-Ronaldo-donated-5million-help-Nepal.html

Personally, I've always thought great player, bit of a vain, shallow cock. But heard a few stories recently about his generosity with his time and money.

If this link is true, then what a great gesture.

Well done, him. :cool: And well done also for leading by example and utilising his huge following to unite behind him.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/09/cristiano-ronaldo-donates-5m-nepal-aid-fund-reports
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on him :cool:
  • duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's paid the medical bills of a few people that were seriously ill, one a 10 month old baby. He seems to have a good heart.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This video is relevant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffwtKvr5nPI

He's a really nice guy. Fergie still talks about him as if he's his son and that's quite something considering how difficult it is to gain and keep Fergie's respect.
  • BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair play to the man! :cool:
  • Hamish ManciniHamish Mancini Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    He also regularly donates both blood (hence why he has no tattoos) and bone marrow (which is not for the faint-hearted) as well as publicly championing both causes.

He might be vain and a bit flash but everything I hear about him off the pitch makes me really like him. He has a good heart.

And like it or not, he is an amazing footballer. People may perceive it as arrogance but to stand out in your chosen field you have to have unshakeable self-belief and focus...which he obviously does. I think he is totally dedicated to his craft and that is why, as mentioned by a previous poster, Fergie still has so much time for him.

He has the world at his feet and he spends his time and money making a difference - compare him to the 'talented' (if you like boxing) but absolutely repugnant Floyd Mayweather.

I know it isn't a popular opinion but I like Ronaldo and think a lot of our footballers could learn a thing or two from him on how to conduct themselves as sportsmen in the public eye. :)
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a lovely thread, never knew anything about him before now but from reading these posts I'm amazed at how kind/generous etc he is. You don't hear much about that side of him.
  • ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He also regularly donates both blood (hence why he has no tattoos) and bone marrow (which is not for the faint-hearted) as well as publicly championing both causes.

He might be vain and a bit flash but everything I hear about him off the pitch makes me really like him. He has a good heart.

And like it or not, he is an amazing footballer. People may perceive it as arrogance but to stand out in your chosen field you have to have unshakeable self-belief and focus...which he obviously does. I think he is totally dedicated to his craft and that is why, as mentioned by a previous poster, Fergie still has so much time for him.

He has the world at his feet and he spends his time and money making a difference - compare him to the 'talented' (if you like boxing) but absolutely repugnant Floyd Mayweather.

I know it isn't a popular opinion but I like Ronaldo and think a lot of our footballers could learn a thing or two from him on how to conduct themselves as sportsmen in the public eye. :)

Lovely post :) I didn't have a clue how far his generosity went. It's great to hear and something to throw in the face of those who moan about him 'diving' and being 'too vain'. I too think he's an excellent footballer and this makes me like him even more.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member

I'd agree with pretty much all that, yes flash and vain, but a bloody brilliant footballer who stays at the top through hard work and not wasting his talents - his off the pitch endeavours of blood and bone marrow donation, plus the championing the causes to his followers will make a difference and are to be admired, and yes, give me this young chap over the disgraceful and, words that would get me banned, Floyd Mayweather
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that he inconveniences himself with donating blood and bone marrow shows that he really cares. He could just throw money at a problem and keep it impersonal.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, I freely admit I thought he was just another over pampered, overpaid footballer and a complete waste of space. Fair play to him for his sterling endeavours and what a shame that more players in his league cannot replicate the altruistic components of his behaviour.
  • CacciatoreCacciatore Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I always thought he was a bit of a narcissistic little wally as well, but if this is true it goes to show that you really shouldn't judge a book by its cover, and underneath all the bling he is a genuinely caring person. I know he's a multi-millionaire, but by anyone's standards £5 million is an enormous amount of money.
    Good on him.
  • CFCJM1CFCJM1 Posts: 2,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a good egg he is. Well impressed with his generosity and compassion. Goes well beyond the token gestures often made by the famous.