Raheem Sterling vs Steven Gerrard

BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32789389

Just days after Steven Gerrard called time on his 17 years at Liverpool we see the other side of football as Raheem Sterling's management team sets the ball in motion for his transfer.

I do understand Raheem's position if he wants to leave and earn more money at another club. The life of a player is short lived and you never know what is around the corner. However it is the manner in which this has taken place. I really like Kevin Kilane's view on this.

Ex-Everton midfielder Kevin Kilbane on BBC Radio 5 live: "It shows the changing face of football, it is very much manufactured. I think it lacks a lot of class.

It does lack class going out so soon after Gerrard's last game, before the game at the weekend and before Liverpool have had chance to sit down and talk to the player. They could have kept it quiet for a few more weeks till the end of the season.

What annoys me quite a bit is the way this was released. It is a media stunt the timing of it just after the Chelsea game, multiple news sites all picked it up at the same time, just before the last minute print run for tomorrow. No chance for Liverpool or anyone to confirm it etc. It was all planned to create the headlines, force the move and raise his price. A release / rumour from his agent and team with reports of him and rogers not getting on a as smoke screen to hide the fact he is a money grabbing little toerag.

I think he should at least have the respect to keep his mouth and keep it within the football club. Gerrard shows an example of what class is in the space of 2 days Raheem showed a complete lack of it.

whats your view ?

Comments

• batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was interesting that the film "Class of 92" was on tonight, a perfect anti-Sterling film if ever there was such a thing, a line in it said by Giggs sums up the difference in attitude between the true legends like those featured in the film and Carragher, and Gerrard for Liverpool, he said "...even though I had played a few first team games, I was desperate to win that final...", the final in question, the FA Youth Cup final.

Could anyone imagine Sterling coming out and saying something similar? I cannot, he seems so ego driven, and all about the now, and what can I get now, not what can I do for the team.

I don't think he sets a good example at all, but if he wants to leave, then Liverpool should sell him, what is the point on keeping someone who doesn't want to be there, it wouldn't be good for morale at all.

Joey Barton the other week talked of "bad eggs" in their dressing room, and the need to get rid of them, I am loath to agree with him, but in this instance, he is right, and Liverpool should get rid of any and all "bad eggs", and by the looks of things, one of them is Sterling.

The longer he stays there, the more negative headlines there will be, and the longer this saga will deal on, the club doesn't need that, it needs to move on from him, and onto players that it can rely upon.
  • NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Ship him off to City as long as Milner is part of the deal.
  • Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think his agent has obviously been in his ear. He is playing for Liverpool for Gods sake, its not like he is playing for a lowly team and has to move while there is interest.

He obviously has talent but I have never understood the hype that surrounds him. I don't really think he is ready (as a player or mentally from what I've seen) to carry the pressure of a big money move.

If he had any sense he would sign a contract, get his head down for a couple of years, learn the game and see where he is. If Liverpool have improved (challenge for titles, Champions League place etc) then he is part of that development, if they haven't but he has as a player then would be the time to look at going to a new club.

As it stands he is at the perfect club for him in my opinion and it speaks volumes that most Liverpool fans seem to be saying "cash in" whilst rival fans aren't filled with any sort of glee in the way they were when it was Suarez leaving.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very little can stay within the club nowadays.

Player asks for a meeting and its in the media before the manager even hears about it.

I am not a fan of the player BUT on the other hand he has got to think of his career and his career only.

Was last season a one off for Liverpool or was this? IMO last season was. I don't think Liverpool will even be able to break into the top 4 for a number of season's at the moment. Gerrard regret's not winning the title, Does Sterling want to look back at his career at the end and not regret winning the title and not having a run in the Champions League?

Does he want to play for a big club or a top club? This is a job pure and simple, If you can got a job at the top companies you have to take it, It might work out, It might not not you have to take the chance when you can as the chance don't always come around again. Already some clubs who would have offered him a certain contract last season would be looking at offering him a different one this.

He needs to strike while the iron is hot and before clubs start doing their business
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I think he's a terrible person based on Keith Houchen's book where he says how little they earned in the 80s despite him scoring a cup final goal
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely the agent has to take some blame for this - he wants his cut and that has got to be a big driver. Sterling is still a kid and easy to manipulate. The BBC interview seems to show that neither of them have a lot of sense. they certainly wouldn't make good poker or chess players!
    Sterling doesn't seem to have done much this season. i would have thought that the offer he rejected was too generous if anything judging by performance.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Raheem Sterling is entitled to make decisions that he thinks are in his best interests.

He could get a serious injury & be out of the game for a year & none of us would give a stuff about him.

Every football fan in the world would pack in their job if they could earn more money with better prospects doing the same job somewhere else, yet we expect players not to have the same attitude.

I get all the arguments about loyalty etc, but Raheem is obviously not loyal to LFC & if he isn't, it would be better all round if he left, rather than keeping someone that doesn't want to play for them.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sterlings stock will never be higher.

He has that horrible word, "potential" to be worth 50million as a player however if some mug is prepared to pay it now, both the club and the player should jump at the chance to move.

The money suggested is utterly ridiculous. With players like Cesc, costa and sanchez going for £30m at their peak, to pay £50m for this kid (with lots of issues and baggage) is nonsense.
  • Eddie hunterEddie hunter Posts: 4,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every football fan in the world would pack in their job if they could earn more money with better prospects doing the same job somewhere else, yet we expect players not to have the same attitude.

People keep on banging on about this but it is simply not true at all.

Most people will do what they think is best for their career and in many many cases people look at the bigger picture. I know of a lot of people who could have earned a bit more cash there and then but felt they were better off where they were as it would lead to much bigger things later on. This is normal. Its why people go to University for example "I'll be poor right now because i'll hopefully get the benefit later instead of just taking a job now".

Obviously football is different in terms of scale but its not always the wisest move to go chasing the cash and Sterling is a prime example. He can go now for money and perhaps not play every week or he can stay at Liverpool (still on big cash) and develop as a player in order to benefit down the line. Just ask the like of Jack Rodwell, Adam Johnson, Scot Sinclair etc etc if they short term gain is the best plan.
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Very little can stay within the club nowadays.

Player asks for a meeting and its in the media before the manager even hears about it.

I am not a fan of the player BUT on the other hand he has got to think of his career and his career only.

Was last season a one off for Liverpool or was this? IMO last season was. I don't think Liverpool will even be able to break into the top 4 for a number of season's at the moment. Gerrard regret's not winning the title, Does Sterling want to look back at his career at the end and not regret winning the title and not having a run in the Champions League?

Does he want to play for a big club or a top club? This is a job pure and simple, If you can got a job at the top companies you have to take it, It might work out, It might not not you have to take the chance when you can as the chance don't always come around again. Already some clubs who would have offered him a certain contract last season would be looking at offering him a different one this.

He needs to strike while the iron is hot and before clubs start doing their business

I agree with this. Liverpool fans might feel like it's a kick in the nuts that he's not more loyal, but he obviously has to think of his own career. Liverpool seem to be a team going nowhere post-Suarez so it might well be a move worth taking if he has the opportunity. Like you I can't see them bothering the Top 4 anytime soon, certainly not with such a mediocre manager in charge.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    sterlings stock will never be higher.

He has that horrible word, "potential" to be worth 50million as a player however if some mug is prepared to pay it now, both the club and the player should jump at the chance to move.

The money suggested is utterly ridiculous. With players like Cesc, costa and sanchez going for £30m at their peak, to pay £50m for this kid (with lots of issues and baggage) is nonsense.

This.

If Liverpool can get anywhere near that kind of money for him they should thank their lucky stars and sign the deal before the other poor club has a chance to realise wtf they just did. Liverpool, TAKE IT AND RUN!! Sterling will never amount to anything spectacular.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liverpool should get rid of him for a decent fee and buy a couple of top players that want to be there. He's a good player but not as good or indespensible as he thinks he is, and any talent he may have on the pitch is pointless if his attitude off the pitch upsets the harmony at the club. I also don't buy into this "well players have a short career" as while thats true this greedy little git has been offered £100k a week so would be set up for life if he retired at 24 and would have been paid more in a year than most people will be paid in a lifetime - its just greed, pure and simple and epitomises all that is wrong with football today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    and would have been paid more in a year than most people will be paid in a lifetime

100,000 a week for a year = £5.2 million per year

Say the average person earns £25,000 per year

And works for 45 years (20 to 65)

Their lifetime salary is £1.1 million

So one year for Sterlings' wages (that he turned down) is the same as the average person earns over not one but in FIVE lifetimes.

Say sterling is 20 and he plays at the top level for another 14 years, and will get £200,000 a week. Over his career (assuming there is no wage inflation), just on wages and not bonuses or image rights or a book deal, he will earn:

£145.6 million

More than the average person could earn in 145 lifetimes, and he will retire at 34 rather than 67!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coal miners and soldiers, let's get it all out the way now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will we be hearing about Nurses next?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Coal miners and soldiers, let's get it all out the way now.

Bin men don't forget about the binmen.

They do a very important job as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Bin men don't forget about the binmen.

They do a very important job as well

Hardly!

My local bin man leave my wheelie bin across my driveway every week!

It is incredibly annoying
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I don't mind players being paid ridiculous wages if that's what the market demands, I think Liverpool would be incredibly lucky to get rid of him for the price that's being quoted. Sanchez only cost 32mio!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Hardly!

My local bin man leave my wheelie bin across my driveway every week!

It is incredibly annoying

He's probably got an account on here.
  • NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    He's probably got an account on here.

If there was a competition for one liners, you just got my vote.
  • Fizzee RascalFizzee Rascal Posts: 1,032
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can't blame him really.
  • wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's being a bit of a bell. He'll go the same way as Scott Sinclair or some other talented youngster who moves for megabucks only to rot on the bench. He'll be playing for Crystal Palace within 3 years.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People keep on banging on about this but it is simply not true at all.

Most people will do what they think is best for their career and in many many cases people look at the bigger picture. I know of a lot of people who could have earned a bit more cash there and then but felt they were better off where they were as it would lead to much bigger things later on. This is normal. Its why people go to University for example "I'll be poor right now because i'll hopefully get the benefit later instead of just taking a job now".

Obviously football is different in terms of scale but its not always the wisest move to go chasing the cash and Sterling is a prime example. He can go now for money and perhaps not play every week or he can stay at Liverpool (still on big cash) and develop as a player in order to benefit down the line. Just ask the like of Jack Rodwell, Adam Johnson, Scot Sinclair etc etc if they short term gain is the best plan.

Fair points, but it would depend on where Sterling goes next.

If he goes somewhere like City, he will most likely 'disappear' & come to nothing, but if the goes somewhere like Arsenal, for example, he will thrive, play most weeks & possibly win things, as Wenger looks like he is getting his managerial mojo back.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,758
    Forum Member
    Surely Liverpool won't sell to a potential Premier league rival if they can avoid it and he wouldn't get in the Real/Barca or Bayern teams..

So his ambition might be Champions league football but quite frankly his best chance of getting regular action in that might be at Liverpool..
  • ArmchairDieHardArmchairDieHard Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    If City offered Liverpool £50m tomorrow, Liverpool would snatch their hand off.

He's got plenty of potential, but £50m would buy some proven talent, which is what Liverpool really need this summer.