Echostar hds-600rs HDD size

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
Forum Member
Hi I have just brought a secondhand Echostar HDS-600RS freesat PVR

I was just wondering if there was away to find out what size HDD it has in it though the menu etc?

I know they come with a 500gb from the factory but i have made 5 recordings of a total of just over 6hr in SD and it has only used 1% of the HDD.

Is this about right for a 500gb HDD ?

Comments

• bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not familiar with your box however the usage seems about right for a 500GB HDD though it's always difficult to tell with such small usage. Is there a reason you think someone may have changed it?
  • Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Katfish wrote: »
    Hi I have just brought a secondhand Echostar HDS-600RS freesat PVR

I was just wondering if there was away to find out what size HDD it has in it though the menu etc?

I know they come with a 500gb from the factory but i have made 5 recordings of a total of just over 6hr in SD and it has only used 1% of the HDD.

Is this about right for a 500gb HDD ?

I also own that unit - the percentage display is a bit quirky - say you record one more hour and it then shows 2% and then you delete two hours ' it may still show 2% ' so its not all that precise.

At some stage all of a sudden the remote will not Communicate with the unit.

trust me it will happen but its easy to reset

Re-pairing the remote & HDS-600RS: WITHOUT re-setting everything

- Point the remote at the unit
    - Press & hold down the “right” and “OK” key for Five seconds
    - LED { on remote control } will flash twice
    - Unit should now respond to the remote.

every few months you may need to do it again.
  • uk1uk1 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Wbc-Worker wrote: »
    I also own that unit - the percentage display is a bit quirky - say you record one more hour and it then shows 2% and then you delete two hours ' it may still show 2% ' so its not all that precise.

I tried this, and of course it didn't work. And then I realised that in the excitement, I had befuddled my left with my right. So I tried again. IT WORKED.

Have you any idea how important this post has been. Once in every generation someone discovers something so monumental it can change another person's life.This is that moment.

This remote control issue had really hacked me off and nothing I could do cured it. And then you in answer to a completely different question posted a solution to a different problem

I can now use this box.

Thanks so much!

:)
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The remote for some reason occasionly switches the operate mode. It's happened to me a couple of times. I found out because the HDR1000S remote started controlling my Foxsat-hdr. The Humax remotes can control up to 6 boxes in the same room by selecting different channels for each device.
    Forum Member
    The remote for some reason occasionly switches the operate mode. It's happened to me a couple of times. I found out because the HDR1000S remote started controlling my Foxsat-hdr. The Humax remotes can control up to 6 boxes in the same room by selecting different channels for each device.

Yes ... bow in deference to your knowledge but thisto my understanding is an Echostar box.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    uk1 wrote: »
    Yes ... bow in deference to your knowledge but thisto my understanding is an Echostar box.

oops should have read the thread title.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried this, and of course it didn't work. And then I realised that in the excitement, I had befuddled my left with my right. So I tried again. IT WORKED.

Have you any idea how important this post has been. Once in every generation someone discovers something so monumental it can change another person's life.This is that moment.

This remote control issue had really hacked me off and nothing I could do cured it. And then you in answer to a completely different question posted a solution to a different problem

I can now use this box.

Thanks so much!

:)

No Problem even although I have seen claims the Echostar remote only gets affected if Box X is close to it ' which may be true for some ' but seeing I dont have Box X I knew there was something else causing it to flip - there is various ways to reset the remote but that method is the easy way to do it ' if you know the correct sequence '

when I bought my one it had the old software version in it so I went to

http://www.myechostar.com/Products/ConnectedDevices/HDS-600RS/Support/Downloads.aspx

but that version { 123R} did not solve the problem - there is a claimed 124R but they don't list it but a user was able to get a hold of it from a echostar employee but my requests have gone unanswered.

Anyway its a right wind up when the remote stops sending signals out and I am sure that many assume its their batteries when in most cases its nothing to do with batteries.

Every owner should know the sequence as sure as shit ' one day for whatever reason the bloody thing stops sending out commands '

so up to now - were you doing a factory reset to get the remote to work again ?
    Forum Member
    No Problem even although I have seen claims the Echostar remote only gets affected if Box X is close to it ' which may be true for some ' but seeing I dont have Box X I knew there was something else causing it to flip - there is various ways to reset the remote but that method is the easy way to do it ' if you know the correct sequence '

when I bought my one it had the old software version in it so I went to

http://www.myechostar.com/Products/ConnectedDevices/HDS-600RS/Support/Downloads.aspx

but that version { 123R} did not solve the problem - there is a claimed 124R but they don't list it but a user was able to get a hold of it from a echostar employee but my requests have gone unanswered.

Anyway its a right wind up when the remote stops sending signals out and I am sure that many assume its their batteries when in most cases its nothing to do with batteries.

Every owner should know the sequence as sure as shit ' one day for whatever reason the bloody thing stops sending out commands '

so up to now - were you doing a factory reset to get the remote to work again ?

Thanks,

I also do not have an xbox, but the remote stops working just a few hours after I complete a factory reset, so you could say it was "every day" for me and the box was unusable except from the ipad app. I actually love the box, but it was rendered unusable and became abandoned because of the rc issue. Contact with them wasn't returned.

You posting this solution was really appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jeff

EDITED: My box needs the RC reset today again ... and it has the 123R version installed some time ago which must have been autoloaded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks,

I also do not have an xbox, but the remote stops working just a few hours after I complete a factory reset, so you could say it was "every day" for me and the box was unusable except from the ipad app. I actually love the box, but it was rendered unusable and became abandoned because of the rc issue. Contact with them wasn't returned.

You posting this solution was really appreciated.

Thanks again,

Jeff

EDITED: My box needs the RC reset today again ... and it has the 123R version installed some time ago which must have been autoloaded.

Box X - I could have called it Box A - It has nothing to do with a xbox.

If I had time I could work out what is really going on - but I don't - all I know is out the blue the remote will not communicate and if you don't know the trick its a very frustrating situation.

its funny that ' because of that problem ' there is some owners selling them - one looked at random and I must admit the seller was very upfront.

'occasionally the box locks up and refuses to respond to the remote. The fix is to reset it using the buttons on the front, this has always worked, it doesn't loose any recorded programmes but is a faff as it has to retune the satellite channels which takes about 10 minutes. Because of the second problem I'm selling it as not working spares or repair. It may stay the same and need a reset every couple of months, or it may never do it again or it may get worse, I have no way to tell but I can say that at the moment it all works perfectly. It may also be a common problem that could be fixed in an update, what I can also say (sadly from experience) is most Ebay sellers would not be as honest as me and wouldn't mention it !'

I have let him know the trick .

its a shame that Echostar have now discontinued it.

they spend all that money and then they just dump it.

its not my main box - I use it to record Radio 4 and Radio 4 extra so I am not using the remote all that much .

its still a good box although if you don't know the trick it can drive you up the wall.

Glad your box is back in use
    Forum Member
    It is such a shame, it is a lovely box which I want to use instead of my Sky HD box now desubscribed and set to sky freesat. NowTV has been a dream for us.

We travel and have a real reliance on our slingboxes. So much so we have the Echostar at our main home and the Pro HD at the main and our other home. Both Pro HD's connected to Humax 9200 boxes and recording the same stuff. We find the Slingbox quirky and unreliable hence the two mirror images set ups. So three Slingboxes two with Hummys connected. When we're away and the first one stops ... the old heart gathers speed whilst we try the others ...

As so many boxes are now connected to home networks it's a shame more don't offer remote internet access.