Humax HDR 1000S - can we upgrade hard disk?

Has anyone managed to upgrade the hard disk in their HDR 1000S, if so what model disk did you use? I currently have 2TB in my Humax Foxsat box and would purchase the 1000S if I can upgrade the HD to 2-3TB.

I'm not concerned about invalidating the guarantee.

Comments

• REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    patrick1 wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to upgrade the hard disk in their HDR 1000S, if so what model disk did you use? I currently have 2TB in my Humax Foxsat box and would purchase the 1000S if I can upgrade the HD to 2-3TB.

I'm not concerned about invalidating the guarantee.
    I have a 2tb WD20EURS in transmit to me - I expect it Saturday (hopefully).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Any news of the hard drive transplant?

When I opened the box it said 15% had been used up (OS?), so I'm interested into upgrading too.
  • IQ1IQ1 Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    JamieD wrote: »
    Any news of the hard drive transplant?

The Transplant went well, no signs of rejection.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1752075
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    I had a 2TB Western Digital drive (one of those green models, cant remember the model number though) in my old Humax FOXSAT-HDR and just put that in my new HDR-1000S.

It was a *really* easy upgrade.. the box actually formatted/partitioned the 2TB for me from the storage menu.

So much easier than my old FOXSAT-HDR, where I had to do it all manually lol.

Been using it a few days with no problems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a 2TB Western Digital drive (one of those green models, cant remember the model number though) in my old Humax FOXSAT-HDR and just put that in my new HDR-1000S.

It was a *really* easy upgrade.. the box actually formatted/partitioned the 2TB for me from the storage menu.

So much easier than my old FOXSAT-HDR, where I had to do it all manually lol.

Been using it a few days with no problems.
    It is better using a drive intended for AV - the large manufactures have speciaist ranges for the AV market.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    It is better using a drive intended for AV - the large manufactures have speciaist ranges for the AV market.

Yeah good point made! I did mine on the cheap, but don't over load the i/o on it though as use Sky as main tv and this is just something i'm messing with.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah good point made! I did mine on the cheap, but don't over load the i/o on it though as use Sky as main tv and this is just something i'm messing with.

The drive will probably work fine for around 18 months or so. After a while you may find the built in error checking required for PC use will cause problems. The drive needs to not delay write operations but simply stream the digital data direct from the tuner to the HDD as is. A odd bit wrong in a video application is trivial, on a PC it might turn your overdraft into the national debt :eek:

The first indication is likely to be the box crashing as it runs into problems creating the time shift buffer file which uses the same part of the disc ad-nauseum :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Has anyone had any experience of upgrading the 500gb hard drive version?

I would like to put the WD drive mentioned above into my Humax HDR 1000s and I am not sure if it will format it so that I get all the memory available.

Your experience would be greatly appreciated.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonmuss wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience of upgrading the 500gb hard drive version?

I would like to put the WD drive mentioned above into my Humax HDR 1000s and I am not sure if it will format it so that I get all the memory available.

Your experience would be greatly appreciated.

It's not considered good etiquette on DS to drag up old threads :)

Anyway. To the best of my knowledge the only difference between the various HDR 1000 variants is the size of drive they fit. So it should not make much if any difference which model you start from. In fact nowhere in this thread is the size of the "old" drive mentioned by anyone who has done this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Repassac and I both used the 2TB drive linked above to upgrade a 500GB HDR1000s.

Storage is indicated at 1863GB.

You can now buy a 2TB model

http://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Prod/ddf279b8-bddf-447e-8f16-d206099fecc6
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One tip - To open a HDR-1000S and I suspect the HDR-1010S. you need to remove the rubber feet to access the screws.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Since you upgraded to a 2tb hard drive have you experienced any problems with your 'hummy', like freezing etc?

I have just ordered the 2tb drive!

Thanks for the help and sorry to resurrect an old thread, I didn't realise that it was bad etiquette!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No issues with mine, other than ones everyone reports.
  • djc45djc45 Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    I have recently cancelled Sky and will be using my Foxsat HDR and buying a HDR 1000s to use along with it. I was thinking about getting the 500gb HDR 1000s and then upgrade it with a 2tb drive.

My question is, I have the new 2tb sky box, about 12 months old, that I will not be using after the Sky switch off, could I use the 2tb drive from the Sky box to upgrade the HDR 1000s, rather than buying a drive, or is the drive unsuitable?

If it is compatible, are there any other issues I need to consider?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    Duncan
  • allonewordalloneword Posts: 46
    Forum Member
    djc45 wrote: »
    I have recently cancelled Sky and will be using my Foxsat HDR and buying a HDR 1000s to use along with it. I was thinking about getting the 500gb HDR 1000s and then upgrade it with a 2tb drive.

My question is, I have the new 2tb sky box, about 12 months old, that I will not be using after the Sky switch off, could I use the 2tb drive from the Sky box to upgrade the HDR 1000s, rather than buying a drive, or is the drive unsuitable?

If it is compatible, are there any other issues I need to consider?

I appreciate any advice.

Thanks
    Duncan
    You should be fine, I whipped old my old 500GB from my old sky unit (which was a Seagate Pipeline drive) and put it in my old Foxsat HDR afterI formatted via the PC but to be honest i dont think i even needed to do that.
    I have just bought my HDR 1000S refurb unit for £130 bought a new WD 2TB and just threw it in without any issues, the only issue you may have is to do with Sky's OS/partitioning on the 2TB drive and you may have to format it via pc before you install but i'm not 100% sure so wait for someone else who knows more then me.

In a nutshell your Sky drive will be fine as far as hardware goes, as i say only concern i have is Sky's partitioning but a simple format should sort that, In my case i had to buy the new WD drive (SATA6) so had to use a jumper to drop it down to SATA3 speed if you need to do this and dont have a jumper drop me a line i'll send you a couple FOC.

As for the doing the job it's a 10 min (if that) job and away you go.

All1