The Ratings Thread (Part 51)

Comments

• PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can hardly call The Dales, Nature's Newborns, Tonight and Harbour Lives difficult competition for EE though
    I didn't.

Emmerdale is however getting easier competition than it usually does. The One Show was a couple of years in the planning, designed to deliver a consistent audience, and consistent demographics to BBC One at 7pm, and has partially subdued Emmerdale in the process. Now, BBC One is temporarily back to the bad old days of "any old shit" at 7pm, most of it rating badly, and the only thing pulling a decent number (Sheriffs), is not managing to subdue Emmerdale in the way The One Show does.

And, I don't even like the bloody One Show, before anyone suggests I do! :D
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Yeah bbc needs to bring back The One Show ASAP so that Eastenders can resume beating Emmerdale again. Without the One Show denting EmFarm, Eastenders' chances of beating Emmerdale is lower.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't.

Emmerdale is however getting easier competition than it usually does. The One Show was a couple of years in the planning, designed to deliver a consistent audience, and consistent demographics to BBC One at 7pm, and has partially subdued Emmerdale in the process. Now, BBC One is temporarily back to the bad old days of "any old shit" at 7pm, most of it rating badly, and the only thing pulling a decent number (Sheriffs), is not managing to subdue Emmerdale in the way The One Show does.

And, I don't even like the bloody One Show, before anyone suggests I do! :D

I bet the people who watch The One Show will watch most BBC1 7pm programing because they don't watch Emmerdale, hence the high rating for a rpt of Sheriffs.

Emmerdale is strong at the moment, EE is not
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    Apparently Newman is 'Responsible for some of the most memorable moments' on EE - really?!

Good point that's made towards the end re. the 30th anniversary - the groundwork for this will obviously be starting shortly so Newman had to be got rid of now to stop the rot in time.
    She was at EastEnders for storylines such as Who shot Phil? and EastEnders LIVE so it's a team Effort.
    ftv wrote: »
    I guess she was ''responsible'' in the sense anyone who worked on the programmes was responsible.I wonder how long before we see changes as I believe they record about two months ahead, bit like slowing down a supertanker I suppose.
    They are filming for Mid September at present. DTC (The New EP) strikes me as one that will change up and coming storylines and scripts.
    Lorraine Newman made it clear form the off that she has no intention of changing any of Kirkwoods work .
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    Exactly ... Channel 5 are still doing a whole lot right in my opinion...commissioning a few cheap reality docs doesn't change that..

They've got strong performers like 24 Hours in A&E, One Born Every Minute, Undercover Boss...

Lots of New original dramas.... The Mill, Southcliffe, Run, This is England '90 etc...

Lots of first run movie premieres

A hugely successful US import in Homeland, and the eagerly awaited critics choice honoree for most exiting new series Masters of Sex..

A very fresh/new mashup in 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown.

It still has a long way to go but its doing alot of things right.

Surely you mean Channel 4? ;)

In terms of C4 doing things right, I would probably disagree. 24 Hours in A&E has almost completed its 20-part run, and One Born Every Minute has just been commissioned for a 20-part run. Sadly, this stinks of desperation and really shows of a lack of creativity. If 24 Hours gets another order of 20 eps, that'll mean that that they're on for a combined 10 months of the year?! Not good.

C4 have invested more in drama this year than in any previous years. The Mill has done well after 1 episode so let's not get too carried away. Southcliffe might do well, but the jury's out. Run did ok, but not spectacular averaging 1.55m. This is England 90' will probably do well, but only because the prequels have done well too. Things like Utopia and Dates have really been a let down.

There have been a lot of movie repeats recently (with a couple of exceptions) and C4 only really seem to air their movie premieres in January/February. 6 or 7 is hardly 'lots'.

Homeland has done very well and is no doubt Channel 4's standout drama piece. If they make a big deal out of the third series (lots of promotion) then it will soar. Masters of Sex may have got the critics going, but sometimes (or most of the time) they like things that the general public don't like.

8 Out of 10 Cats does Countdown is good. But knowing Channel 4, it will soon be given a 15-20 episode order and the show will die within a year.

I will ask again, Gosh Bagosh do you work for Channel 4? You seem to be very enthusiastic about everything they do. Be careful though, or someone will think you're Jay Hunt! :D
  • Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think people are bothered about Breakfast on a weekend anyway :)

When Match of the Day is on, the Sunday 8am hour on BBC News is often its most watched of the week, and frequently gets into the multichannel top 30,
    Brekkie wrote: »
    Surprised the morning weekend sessions aren't on BBC2 to give BBC1/2 a better schedule overall. It would make sense to move the MOTD repeat to BBC2 as well and let Breakfast run through to 9am on Sundays too.

But Breakfast is already being shown on BBC News anyway, and they don't need to work around the regional opt-outs of a weekend. Not sure the athletics schedule is that spectacular, Breakfast is taken off for MOTD and numerous other things throughout the year and much of the rest is only replacing repeats.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Salv* wrote: »
    Sounds right. On the BB Live Feed, a house mate commented that he thought X Factor would start the day after BB finishes and there are rumours that BB finishes on the Friday 16th.

Why do we never know the BB end date at the the beginning? Do they not decide til later on? Surely the housemates must know when the final is so why don't we?
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 9s
    The tenth series of @BBCOne's #NewTricks began last night with the biggest TV audience of the day - 7.52m/33.5% were watching from 9pm.

Fantastic!
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 38s
    The tenth series of @BBCOne's #NewTricks began last night with the biggest TV audience of the day - 7.52m/33.5% were watching from 9pm.

Oops, same post :p Brilliant rating for it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Why do we never know the BB end date at the the beginning? Do they not decide til later on? Surely the housemates must know when the final is so why don't we?

No idea, this year there is more confusion. I have heard different housemates mention different amount of days, and then different dates, even BOTS were saying a different date to them. No idea.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    re NT: how does that compare to the overnights for previous series openers?

K
  • kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ronant wrote: »
    Anyone who hasn't seen next weekend's schedules want to hazard a guess at how many hours of Athletics BBC One is showing over Saturday and Sunday?
    18 hours 5 minutes :eek:

Its the World Athletics Championships and I would expect half of that time would be Breakfast/morning time for heats (Usain Bolt will be around at some point), and given the 2 hour difference the Evening session wil be much earlier than if they being held here of course.
  • jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    10 series in? Fantastic figure! Guessing CSI opened to less than 2 million
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It works out as...
    Saturday - 6-9.30am; 11.15am-6.30pm. Sunday 6-10am; 3.45-7.05pm.

So Breakfast, with its massive audience shares, will only be on BBC News it seems. Long, long time since there's been two consecutive days on BBC One without Breakfast I'd imagine.

Since last years Olympics no doubt.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »

K

List of series openers from Series 6

2013 - 7.52m (33.5%)
    2012 - 7.77m (31.6%)
    2011 - 8.25m (35.0%)
    2010 - 7.11m (30.7%)
    2009 - 8.07m (34.2%)
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »

K

2012: 7.8m
    2011: 8.3m
    2010: 7.1m
    2009: 8.1m
    2008: 8.7m

Good start for it last night, pretty much in line with last year. It has come off its peak from a couple of years ago just slightly but not by a significant amount.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    List of series openers from Series 6

2013 - 7.52m (33.5%)
    2012 - 7.77m (31.6%)
    2011 - 8.25m (35.0%)
    2010 - 7.11m (30.7%)
    2009 - 8.07m (34.2%)

So being on Tuesday didn't make that much difference then, certainly got more than I thought it might.:D:)
  • ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Since last years Olympics no doubt.

When they had Olympic Breakfast on every morning of course.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone who hasn't seen next weekend's schedules want to hazard a guess at how many hours of Athletics BBC One is showing over Saturday and Sunday?
    18 hours 5 minutes :eek:

Knowing the BBC about 80% of the time they'll show people talking about athletics (with stuff going on behind them) and 20% showing the actual sport.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nigel Slater's Dish of The Day: 2.88m (16.4%)
    EastEnders: 6.06m (32.5%)
    Holly City: 4.75m (23.4%)
    New Tricks: 7.52m (33.5%)

Count Arthur Strong: 725k (3.7%)
    The Cruise: A Life At Sea: 1.13m (5.4%)
    Kumbh Mela: 772k (3.4%)
    Family Tree: 568k (3.0%)

Emmerdale: 6.17m (35.1%)
    Nature's Newborns: 2.79m (14.9%)
    Love Your Garden: 3.15m (15.5%)
    Hunting The Doorstep Conmen: 2.33m (10.4%)

Kirstie's Fill Your House For Free: 1.40m (6.9%)
    Why Don't You Speak English?: 703k (3.1%)
    Rude Tube: 683k (4.1%)

World's Worst Holiday Horrors: 1.44m (7.1%)
    CSI: NY: 1.47m (6.6%)
    Big Brother: 1.49m (8.7%)
    Bit on The Side: 628k (7.1%)

Excluding +1 and not tapechecked for the commercial channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they had Olympic Breakfast on every morning of course.

Well it was just an ill informed guess heh, I seem to recall Olympic Breakfast mainly involved Sport and very little news.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 52s
    Tues 9pm: New Tricks 7.52m; Kumbh Mela 772k; Hunting the Doorstep Conmen 2.33m; Why Don't You Speak English? 703k; CSI: NY 1.47m.

So CSI 1.47m excl +1?
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »

Excluding +1 and not tapechecked.

Well BBC One will be tape-checked, so EastEnders' rating should already be 19:30 to 19:55. Emmerdale won't be though, so tape-checked for Emmerdale must be about 6.70m (38.1%)! :eek:

I wish we were getting tape-checked for Emmerdale because the shares would be jaw-dropping for it.
  • jackc1806jackc1806 Posts: 456
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »

Count Arthur Strong: 725k
    The Cruise: A Life At Sea: 1.13m
    Kumbh Mela: 772k
    Family Tree: 568k

World's Worst Holiday Horrors: 1.44m (7.1%)
    CSI: NY: 1.47m (6.6%)
    Big Brother: 1.49m (8.7%)
    Bit on The Side: 628k (7.1%)

Excluding +1 and not tapechecked.

BB ran to 10.55 last night so it's probably lower than it should be
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackc1806 wrote: »
    BB ran to 10.55 last night so it's probably lower than it should be

And the +1 should add around 90k, so it could be around 1.60m. Either way, it is the 2nd highest rated Tuesday show of the series, just behind the aftermath of the ejection.

It's a shame CSI couldn't get towards the high end of the 1m area.
This discussion has been closed.