Digital Foundry: BF4 XB1(720p) vs PS4 (900p)

13»

Comments

• jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No washed out appearance on the PS4 version here. Something about captures not been done properly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-RO46byQtI
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jokerz wrote: »
    No washed out appearance on the PS4 version here. Something about captures not been done properly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-RO46byQtI

Is 900p better than 720p, well its pretty hard to tell when the video only goes as high as 720p :p
  • SpeedloaferSpeedloafer Posts: 2,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    homer2012 wrote: »
    Fanboys vs fanboys, enjoy you consoles and games and leave all the bickering over non important stuff to real gamers who play the game not the my spec is better than your spec attitude.

I'm a real gamer, but I want to know what system is better. I would class that as extremely important. I don't fancy paying upwards of £350 for an inferior product. When you buy a new tv you don't just walk into a shop look at the first tv you see and say "has a screen don't need any of that other shit" throw money at the counter and walk out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »
    Is 900p better than 720p, well its pretty hard to tell when the video only goes as high as 720p :p

:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I'm a real gamer, but I want to know what system is better. I would class that as extremely important. I don't fancy paying upwards of £350 for an inferior product. When you buy a new tv you don't just walk into a shop look at the first tv you see and say "has a screen don't need any of that other shit" throw money at the counter and walk out.

I don't think things are that simple in the real world. Wii U may be inferior, but if you love Mario, that's the way to go.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without setting the PS4 to full rgb there's no point in comparing because it will always look washed out compared to the Xbox One. I almost got caught out with GTAV when deciding which version to go for. So glad i took a punt with the PS3 version because with full rgb it looks absolutely stunning and nothing like the initial comparison videos pre release.
  • darkthunder35darkthunder35 Posts: 5,016
    Forum Member
    They should rename the Xbox to the 720 now. Very suitable.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    They should rename the Xbox to the 720 now. Very suitable.

1080 - 360 = 720 ;)
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Hotbird wrote: »
    As far as I am concerned one version will always be inferior, as long as the differences aren't too bad I don't mind playing an inferior version.

That been said though I would like to be playing the best version all the time if possible, but as long as the inferior version isn't too bad it really doesn't bother me. I enjoyed Orange Box on PS3 and I had played the PC version previously, I knew what I was getting when I bought it and enjoyed it even though it was flawed.

The PS3 had quite a few bad ports, yet it has been one of my favourite consoles of all time.

Yeah, well those bad ports aren't "bad ports" if you don't own the better versions. They are simply games, right? There were a number of inferior PS3 ports that I also enjoyed even though I'd played the 360 version beforehand.

I said on here a long time ago that Alan Wake was the first game that made me realise resolution doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, it was horrifically low yet had among the best graphics I've ever seen this gen (including even some of the best AA too).
  • 2dshmuplover2dshmuplover Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    Has anyone read that thread over at NeoGAF regarding this face-off?, the hatred towards DF and Richard Leadbetter is particular is off the charts. This is due to an initial claim from someone who works for the blog stating they made a mistake due to workload, this was later retracted by Rich saying the freelance worker was not fully informed and that they were indeed perfectly happy with the PS4 output but there was a difference in the way X1 handles it's colour range which resulted in crushed blacks, something they alluded to in the article itself but decided to keep it at default gamma from within the in-game settings in the interest of fairness.

These things happen and they will be taking a second look at it once the retail versions arrive but people are still adamant that the PS4 footage was borked intentionally. How can DF win here? Idiots.
  • MythicaMythica Posts: 3,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    Is anyone really going to notice a difference when playing? Unless you're sitting close & have a 50" plus screen, the difference between 720p & 1080p is barely noticeable and if you're on a 32", you won't see a difference. The difference between 720p & 900p will be even less noticeable. Also, the argument about colours, brightness etc is stupid because everyone will have their TVs or monitors set to different picture settings, so it'll be different for each person.

Is there going to be a thread like this for every single multiplatform game that's released? The same people having childish arguments over a couple of pixels? Just enjoy the game FFS!!!!

Nonsense about the 32" comment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mythica wrote: »
    Nonsense about the 32" comment.

Agreed. I use a 32" LED Full HD Samsung for gaming and the difference between 1080p and 720p is VERY noticeable.
  • Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    jokerz wrote: »
    Agreed. I use a 32" LED Full HD Samsung for gaming and the difference between 1080p and 720p is VERY noticeable.

I have played an Xbox One and PS4 on 32" screens. As you say, VERY noticeable.