Doctor Who -50th Disappointing Year as a whole?

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be interesting to see what the average Doctor Who fans blood pressure was? Quite high I'd guess by judging some ot the comments around here :rolleyes:

I am actually pre-hypertensive. At 32 I have the BP of a sixty year old drunk. I partly blame being a DW fan for this unfortunate fact.
  • Bruce WayneBruce Wayne Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    I am actually pre-hypertensive. At 32 I have the BP of a sixty year old drunk. I partly blame being a DW fan for this unfortunate fact.

I take offence to that! :mad: OK, I may not be 60 yet, but I'm close to it! ;):D
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am a sixty year old drunk, but I still blame being a DW fan for my hypertension. ;):D
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member

My high blood pressure is weight related and I absolutely blame Doctor Who for my obesity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a sixty year old drunk, but I still blame being a DW fan for my hypertension. ;):D

I'm not blaming the speed dial to Dominos or the gallons of wine. I'm blaming DW damn it! #entitledfan
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,931
    Forum Member
    Well since we're all sharing. I have no problem with my blood pressure but I did have a problem with high cholesterol. I guess I should be thanking the BBC for fixing that though because the dearth of Doctor Who this year has allowed me more time to cook healthy meals and I'm less inclined to order in Dominos. (Actually I've also recently discovered that the Big Finish audios are perfect to listen to whilst doing said healthy cooking, I've only listened to two so far though).
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's been most disappointing is wading through thread after thread with the same bleating.

I know this may come as terrible news to some fanoraks on here but the vast majority of people in this country don't give two hoots about the show we happen to love. The BBC has a responsibility to cater to as many people as it can. Shoving Who down the throats of the majority who aren't interested 24/7 ain't going to happen and was never going to happen. A reality check wouldn't come amiss on DS.
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    We were fighting an uphill battle in the 90s - to bring back a show that had been axed at a time when the BBC didn't invest a penny in science fiction or fantasy shows.

NOW we are talking about a show that's on air, with great viewing figures, critically acclaimed, award winning and profitable. Its a campaign that's been handed to Who fans on a plate.

So where are you all?

What emails have you sent? What complaints have you lodged? Which Twitter campaigns have you supported or Facebook pages have you Liked?

No, nothing?

So don't complaint on here when - after waiting 16 months for Season 8 - you realise you've been conned again, and all you are getting is five episodes before another a six month gap until 'Season 8b'.

I complained to the BBC when an animated Graham Norton popped up over the end of a Doctor Who episode at the crucial cliffhanger moment. I've not complained to the BBC before or since but I have noted that Graham Norton's not been seen on Doctor Who since so I consider that was a complaint well made.

I didn't complain this time because there was an ambiguity about what was going to happen, (which in my opinion was deliberate in order to avoid an outcry), by the time that I had figured out what was going to happen a complaint seemed ineffective to me. I await, with keen anticipation, to see what will happen in 2014. I hope a full series will be broadcast and there will be an end to this split series nonsense, but if not then I will gladly join you in your letter writing campaign.

It's also interesting to hear that while they've already announced that Atlantis has been commissioned for a second series they have yet to say how many episodes or when that will be broadcast either. I don't watch Atlantis but I'm interested because I assume it is currently occupying the slot that Doctor Who will air in next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    To be honest, its been a disappointing couple of years. A handful of episodes here and then a six month gap followed by a handful of episodes there and then a nine month gap.

We didn't even get a season of Doctor Who this year, just the episodes left over from 2012. In my book, the 2013 season of Doctor Who was axed and replaced with a single episode (the 50th anniversary special).

Even if you are willing to accept season 7b as the '2013' season, it will be 16 months between the final episode of season 7b (May 2013) and the first episode of season 8 (September 2014). 16 MONTHS.

For me the saddest thing is that 28 years ago, tens of thousands of Doctor Who fans wrote letters - yes LETTERS (not emails) - to the BBC to challenge the decision to put the show on an 18 month hiatus. We didn't have the internet back then to coordinate our efforts or mobilize us into action. We just did it, independently, because we cared.

If I am honest, I feel a little ashamed of the lacklustre fans on this forum (and elsewhere) who seem happy to gratefully scavenge for any scraps of Who the BBC has tossed their way since 2012.

Over the past year, I've done my bit. Frustrated and disappointed, I've submitted official complaints to the BBC and asked for (if nothing else) some clear and honest answers about what the hell they are doing with my favourite show - a show that is also one of their biggest and most profitable successes.

I've received nothing meaningful in return because I am a lone voice in an era when it is so much easier to be a chorus than it was back in 1985.

So, as I've said, all of you, shame on you all. Your 1985 counterparts did so much more than you.

2013 is an absolute joke of a 50th anniversary, and Doctor Who fans have no one to blame for that but themselves.

And speaking as someone who works in TV - different show, different channel - may I respectfully tell you how much notice we would take of your letters?

None. And that would be the same if we received one or one thousand letters.

Fans are the very last people producers of successful series do - or should - take notice of. We only have to look to the late 1980s to see where producers getting too involved with the fans can lead. Fans lack perspective and have a sense of ownership, which they think gives them rights they simply do not have. Decisions in television are taken for reasons that fans cannot possibly be aware of. And to take it as a personal sleight, as some do, is utterly preposterous.
    Forum Member
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    What's been most disappointing is wading through thread after thread with the same bleating.

I know this may come as terrible news to some fanoraks on here but the vast majority of people in this country don't give two hoots about the show we happen to love. The BBC has a responsibility to cater to as many people as it can. Shoving Who down the throats of the majority who aren't interested 24/7 ain't going to happen and was never going to happen. A reality check wouldn't come amiss on DS.

When the recently discovered episodes of Doctor Who were released they went straight to number 1 and 2 in the iTunes chart. The DVD versions are also breaking records, with pre-orders on the BBC shop's website eclipsing those of last years release of the Olympics. Was that the sort of reality check that you had in mind? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DiscoP wrote: »
    When the recently discovered episodes of Doctor Who were released they went straight to number 1 and 2 in the iTunes chart. The DVD versions are also breaking records, with pre-orders on the BBC shop's website eclipsing those of last years release of the Olympics. Was that the sort of reality check that you had in mind? :)

I'm not saying there isn't an interest. Of course there is. I stayed up til midnight to download them, too. But, with respect, where are they on the iTunes chart now, just three weeks later?

My point is, an episode of Doctor Who will entertain 10% of the population. Pushing Who down everyone's throats constantly, as some seem to be demanding, risks p*ssing off the other 90%. That's the reality -and the balance the BBC must strike.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying there isn't an interest. Of course there is. I stayed up til midnight to download them, too. But, with respect, where are they on the iTunes chart now, just three weeks later?

My point is, an episode of Doctor Who will entertain 10% of the population. Pushing Who down everyone's throats constantly, as some seem to be demanding, risks p*ssing off the other 90%. That's the reality -and the balance the BBC must strike.

Who is demanding this? I've not read any posts which advocate it.

Given that there has been less DW on this year than in most other years, you'd have to be going it some to be pushing Who down everyone's throats.

There are loads of reality programmes/cookery programmes/soaps, which I could see as being pushed down my throat, but I don't let them piss me off, I just have the sense to turn them off.

I'd love to know what programme you work on. I would bet, not one worth watching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not blaming the speed dial to Dominos or the gallons of wine. I'm blaming DW damn it! #entitledfan

Actually, what raises my blood pressure is reading posts from people who feel they're entitled to misrepresent what others are saying, and then repeat arguments which have already been answered several times already.

If only people would read threads before they post!

Au revoir!
    Forum Member
    I'd love to know what programme you work on. I would bet, not one worth watching.

Ouch! :eek: (although I did secretly think that the poster probably works for ITV, awful TV station, we won't have it on in our house :) )
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    The only balance producers care sbout is viewers and money, whether it be merchandising or sponsoring via advertising. And I'll bet Doctor Who brings more viewers than bloody auction shows that are all over BBC. Bloody seven days a week bargain hunt seems to be on sometimes and Flog it, so please don't try and come it like we're hogging the whole TV constantly.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Web of Fear is at Number 15 in Drama/Series, The Enemy of the World is down at 37.

The top 5 are three separate series of Breaking Bad, a series of Homeland and a series of Downton Abbey.

Amongst those UK things doing worse than at least Web of Fear on iTunes: Luther, Broadchurch, Ripper Street, Misfits. All very low profile stuff, right?

If the originating poster wants me to evaluate whether 2013 as a whole was a disappointing year for Who then they'll have to lend me a Tardis.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, what raises my blood pressure is reading posts from people who feel they're entitled to misrepresent what others are saying, and then repeat arguments which have already been answered several times already.

If only people would read threads before they post!

Au revoir!

A-bloody-men

Its funny how some people say they are tired of reading the comments in these threads and yet they don't seem to have actually read what was being said.

Because no one, me or you or anyone else for that matter, has ever advocated 24/7 DW. Never once. We just asked for more than we are getting. And lets be honest. DW has in no way shape or form been at risk of being over exposed this year. Quite the opposite.

But it seems some people read what they want to read and ignore the salient points.

I would love to hear how asking for a few classic episodes, a documentary or two and a few trailers equates to 'shoving DW down peoples throats'.
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many new episodes have been made in 2013?
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What more can be said other than 'yes, it's obviousy been a poor showing. Someone ****ed up somewhere down the line. It's very regretful.'
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And speaking as someone who works in TV - different show, different channel - may I respectfully tell you how much notice we would take of your letters?

None. And that would be the same if we received one or one thousand letters.

Fans are the very last people producers of successful series do - or should - take notice of. We only have to look to the late 1980s to see where producers getting too involved with the fans can lead. Fans lack perspective and have a sense of ownership, which they think gives them rights they simply do not have. Decisions in television are taken for reasons that fans cannot possibly be aware of. And to take it as a personal sleight, as some do, is utterly preposterous.

Hear hear! I have personally found this year not disappointing for Doctor Who. Half a season, exposure to the 50th Anniversary news whether it be on here or shows like Pointless, a couple of stings, a trailer and missing episodes returned. Ever hear of the expression "Less is more?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I'm really torn on this subject.

Part of me wanted there to be masses of Doctor Who every month throughout the anniversary year, and yes, it's a little disappointing the amount of new programmes we've had.

On the other hand, would we have been sick of too much Who saturating the channels all year? Would this have diminished the impact of finally arriving at the anniversary weekend?

I think it would.

We've had 7 episodes of brilliant new Who. We had 5 episodes last year, plus the Christmas special. There hasn't been more than 9 months between episodes.

We've been well served by still retaining new episodes every year since 2005, and the ratings have remained pretty steady.

I'm now champing at the bit, waiting for November 23rd and The Day of the Doctor. Plus there's all the other exciting things coming up in November as well.(And we had the amazing discovery of 9 Patrick Troughton episodes!)

If we'd had a Who saturated year, the Anniversary wouldn't be so special.

As it is, I think it's going to be Amazing and Brilliant.

And it's almost here...

Geronimo....
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know not everyone has Watch, but I actually feel spoilt with all the Classic Who & biographies etc.. I've been getting over the last few weeks.
    Yes, it should have been on BBC4, but I for one am happy with the amount of coverage it's currently receiving and look forward to what the terrestrial channels have in store for us over the next month.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do find it odd that supposed Doctor Who fans are saying they would have been sick of watching Doctor Who if there had been more on TV. Really? You get fed up of DW do you? You would prefer a series of only three episodes, like Sherlock? After all, "Less is more" (whatever that means).

Well, these "fans" would always have had the option to turn it off if they had felt they were getting too much DW.

Personally, I'd have quite liked that option.

I would, however urge anyone who feels the need to post on this subject to read the thread, because nowhere will you find anyone suggesting saturation coverage of DW would be a good idea.

All we "moaners" have ever said is that it is a disappointment, in the anniversary year, to have had less DW (actual DW and not game shows and the like) than we have had previously, and that it would have been nice to have had a little more than we got.

Sawyl Gwylim's point about more coverage this year diminishing the impact of the actual anniversary was interesting. I have always thought of the anniversary as being the whole year, rather than just the actual day in November. Perhaps that's why I expected more, and am disappointed.

But I have to say, even as a build up to the anniversary weekend, it's been very poorly done, imo.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    We just asked for more than we are getting.
    But you also can't have more than can be made. In 1985, Doctor Who was slipping away into obsolescence. That's most defiantly not the case here. The BBC could not be a bigger supporter of it.
    And lets be honest. DW has in no way shape or form been at risk of being over exposed this year. Quite the opposite.
    I still cannot understand how anyone could possibly hold that opinion after the constant flood of Doctor Who on the news sites and TV discussions.
  • mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We've had 7 episodes of brilliant new Who. .

If this really were the case, I wouldn't have been so miffed. But I thought the seven episodes were devoid of any real heart or character and very disapointing.