Options

What do you think of people who select basic range food items in posh shops?

Comments

• Options
    Coma_WhiteComa_White Posts: 167
    Forum Member
    Well, you won't find hummus/houmus/houmous in Aldi or Iceland, so a trip to an alternative shop is required in that instance.

I also love the number of people here that are allegedly in denial of the fact that Sainsbury's is a 'posh' supermarket - have they never been in Tesco or Asda? Pyjama-and-slipper-wearing, hair-rollers-in with children in the trolley, not the child seat customers? They make Sainsbury's look as if they're by royal appointment by comparison.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    Coma_White wrote: »
    Well, you won't find hummus/houmus/houmous in Aldi or Iceland, so a trip to an alternative shop is required in that instance.

I also love the number of people here that are allegedly in denial of the fact that Sainsbury's is a 'posh' supermarket - have they never been in Tesco or Asda? Pyjama-and-slipper-wearing, hair-rollers-in with children in the trolley, not the child seat customers? They make Sainsbury's look as if they're by royal appointment by comparison.

Both Lidl and Aldi sell hummus. :confused:

Sainsbury's is NOT posh. It probably has a slightly more middle class customer profile than say, ASDA, but it is by no means posh.

The closest to a 'posh' supermarket we have in this country is Waitrose.
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It may be a little more upmarket than Tesco or Asda - but its far from "posh".
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I was in Sainsburys and there was a lady dressed in loads of clothes and a scarf on head, i think she was Romanian, and her basket was full of Basic range food items and she was reaching for basic range hummus. Made me think why not just go shop at Aldi or iceland? made no sense to me at all.

Pehaps you should've said to her "De ce nu te magazin în Aldi sau Iceland?"

Then followed it up with "Aceasta este o modă în limba engleză magazin pentru oameni. Lepadatura ca ar trebui sa te duci la Aldi sau Iceland.".
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in Sainsburys and there was a lady dressed in loads of clothes and a scarf on head, i think she was Romanian, and her basket was full of Basic range food items and she was reaching for basic range hummus. Made me think why not just go shop at Aldi or iceland? made no sense to me at all.

Actually, Aldi's stuff is good quality and our local store is full of middle class mums stocking up!

Now our local Asda is another matter altogether ... :D

But what's the matter with someone buying the Basic range anyway? I've seen programmes/articles in magazines where they've proved there's very little difference between that and their normal own brand so perhaps this woman is totally savvy and isn't going to pay a lot more for such a small/insignificant improvement?
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't know about Iceland but they sell it in Aldi.

Sainsbury's is by no means posh.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,642
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Actually, Aldi's stuff is good quality and our local store is full of middle class mums stocking up!

Now our local Asda is another matter altogether ... :D

But what's the matter with someone buying the Basic range anyway? I've seen programmes/articles in magazines where they've proved there's very little difference between that and their normal own brand so perhaps this woman is totally savvy and isn't going to pay a lot more for such a small/insignificant improvement?

I was gonna say the same about our local Lidl. Its like the middle class' dirty little secret in there - stocking up on the olive oil, the nice cheeses, and the delicatessen type meats!
  • Options
    MoonyMoony Posts: 15,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »
    I was gonna say the same about our local Lidl. Its like the middle class' dirty little secret in there - stocking up on the olive oil, the nice cheeses, and the delicatessen type meats!

Thats the thing some people don't get about Aldi etc - many of the foods they stock are very good indeed.

They are continental brands - and whilst unfamiliar to our eyes, are actually of very good quality.
  • Options
    Kay2000Kay2000 Posts: 3,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What does it matter what she was buying, not as though your going for tea :D
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Would you not be better suited to shopping in Aldi for example and not have to worry so much about what goes in your basket? Why shop posh when your going to buy basic range.

I commit a more heinous crime. I shop in Aldi and buy all the "Specially Selected" lines. :o So, posh food brought from the tramps shop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    I commit a more heinous crime. I shop in Aldi and buy all the "Specially Selected" lines. :o So, posh food brought from the tramps shop.

I shop in Aldi and put it all in a Waitrose bag.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Waitrose have lots of lovely food goodies other shops don't have, especially if you're making a special Delia Smith meal for Christmas.;)

Yes and I find their staff are more polite and better trained then any of the other supermarkets .
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    malpasc wrote: »

What I like about Lidl is you have a choice of foods and goods not available in the other supermarkets . I'm all for more choice since the big 4 have destroyed millions of small shops, where you had more choice.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't there some sort of DS annual quota regarding how many threads a particular FM is allowed to start?
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only shop at Booths.

Now where's that 'superior' smiley?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I only shop at Booths.

Now where's that 'superior' smiley?

I look down on Booths whilst being chauferred between Harrods Food Hall and Fortnum and Masons.:D
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I look down on Booths whilst being chauferred between Harrods Food Hall and Fortnum and Masons.:D

You actually travel to shop? How quaint!

My butler collects the delivery at the tradesmen's entrance.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I sit in the champagne bar at both premises whilst a lackey does all my donkey work.
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Effing Romanians, coming over here, reaching for our hummus.. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member

Yeah I'll bet he does, the dirty bugger.

...not that there's anything wrong with that. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How can Sainsbury be a POSH shop?:confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Yeah I'll bet he does, the dirty bugger.

...not that there's anything wrong with that. :D
    Yes there is. That's the job for the Groom of the Stool, not ones butler. :cool:
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to live in an area where Waitrose and the Co-Op were in really close proximity to each other. I found that Waitrose's basics range was actually cheaper and better quality than the Co-ops!

They do indeed have a basics range, called ""Waitrose Essentials".

They do "Essentials Ratatouille" and "Essentials Petis Pois".

I am not kidding. They are in my cupboard.
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I shop in Sainsbuy's and often buy the basic range, because they usually taste very nice and are good value for money.
    I don't shop at Aldis because t here isn't one close to me, so can't give an opinion.
    However I have occassionally been to. Icelands. IMO the food is
    Overpriced (everything seems rounded up to the pound) and a bit crap, not to mention limited in choice. Each to their own though.
    Hope this helps OP.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    waitrose is posh ???