BBC the village?

Fliss1289Fliss1289 Posts: 26
Forum Member
Wondered if you could help? Been searching high and low for details on the village series 3. While I can find no details of it, I also can find nothing about it being cancelled? I'm hoping it's just been moved back to its post Christmas slot. Does anyone here know?

Comments

• dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    No idea but they wouldnt be able to use the old bert for naration as the actor passed away a while ago.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do hope there is going to be a third series of The Village as I enjoyed it so much. I haven't heard anything about it for ages and wonder if it has been cancelled.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    No sign of another series - and the last one finished a year ago. Given how it would probably have had to move on ten years they would have had to have changed most of the cast - thus losing the continuity of the show.

I expect its been dropped - and the BBC have forgotten to announce it.
  • Fliss1289Fliss1289 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    That's a shame if so.
  • Collins1965Collins1965 Posts: 13,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they would let us know one way or the other.

I would love a third series. The first was grim but the second was just fantastic.
  • CriticFanCriticFan Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think I read somewhere it got axed unfortunately..
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't the writer want to eventually take it up to the present day?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mill has also not been renewed or axed either
    I emailed channel 4 a few months and they said there was no plans for another series at the present time. But thanked me for my interest. Hmmmm
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    Didn't the writer want to eventually take it up to the present day?

The idea was to model on the German series Heimat (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heimat_(film_series)), which chronicled life in one town over 80 or so years.

The ratings weren't strong enough to facilitate this, however. The first series was pretty grim viewing - however good some of the performances were - and I suspect that rather sealed its fate.
  • Fliss1289Fliss1289 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Funny that, I was just wondering today that wasnt the mill due to be on soon. It's lilies all over again :-(
  • dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    CriticFan wrote: »
    I do think I read somewhere it got axed unfortunately..

I reckon the actor who died was needed for continuety for the show. Probably why it got the ax.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I reckon the actor who died was needed for continuety for the show. Probably why it got the ax.

I doubt it. You saw very little of the older version of Bert and it's a role anyone could play.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    I thought the idea would be a good series but having endured three episodes of the first series of unrelenting misery, the final straw being animal cruelty, I gave up. As a poster mentioned earlier on in the thread, this must have been a factor in the ratings not being as high as they could have been, hence the programme not being recommissioned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    A lot of people are jumping the gun saying it's been axed but, there's still no official word from the beeb and, until there is, this is very much a live series.

My own feeling is that it is becoming tricky to schedule filming time for the increasingly busy John Simm and Maxine Peake - but I do imagine that David Ryall's death also contributed in delays and re-writes. We must also consider that the writer, Peter Moffett, has been writing the recent BBC drama Undercover as well.
  • Gripper StebsonGripper Stebson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the idea would be a good series but having endured three episodes of the first series of unrelenting misery, the final straw being animal cruelty, I gave up. As a poster mentioned earlier on in the thread, this must have been a factor in the ratings not being as high as they could have been, hence the programme not being recommissioned.

Yes, the first series was a bit grim and depressing. But the second series was a little more lighter.