Options

26 years and I've finally had enough.

Comments

• Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    biggebruv wrote: »
    hello
    the ferreia era with the kidney transplant is much worse than what were getting nowevery era of EE is always laced with wooden actors and off months or maybe off year its the nature of these shows

when a new era comes in with a new EP and if an explosive story is climaxing(( example stax,archie,danielle with press and everybody talking about it

can you OP ((whos been watching 26years)) honestly say you will stay away after 26 years your just being dramatic:rolleyes:
    Exactly
    Shirely and the cat
    Free Walford1 (wellard)
    The Fair Ride Collapse
    Who killed Pauline
    Walford football team
    Keith not being able to read
    Demi and Leo
    Get Johnny week

Were all terrible from that era (2004-2006)
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    jaimesw wrote: »
    ...Don't even get me started on the wooden acting from a lot of the new faces! ...

Like who... :confused: Apart from Michael who is pretty awful. There is Greg but we've barely seen anything of him so who else is there?
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,958
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    Exactly
    Shirely and the cat
    Free Walford1 (wellard)
    The Fair Ride Collapse
    Who killed Pauline
    Walford football team
    Demi and Leo
    Get Johnny week

I actually thinking how much I would rather have these stories then the crap dished out now :eek:
  • Options
    cooko94cooko94 Posts: 18,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly
    Shirely and the cat
    Free Walford1 (wellard)
    The Fair Ride Collapse
    Who killed Pauline
    Walford football team
    Demi and Leo
    Get Johnny week

I forgot about most of them
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been watching as long OP but dont give up loyal fans last longer than the bad times, you stuck it out this long dont give up now, think back to the golden days and the hours of pleasure you've had out of it, the storylines will get better, they always do its just at the moment your gonna have to grit your teef and deal with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    I have been watching as long OP but dont give up loyal fans last longer than the bad times, you stuck it out this long dont give up now, think back to the golden days and the hours of pleasure you've had out of it, the storylines will get better, they always do its just at the moment your gonna have to grit your teef and deal with it.

Once you lose the backbone of your audience you are doomed to failure. Look at Brookside as an example. That lost a lot of its original audience when it got rubbish. Neighbours has lost milions of its original loyal followers as it churns out rubbish these days.
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know abbot but as dire as i think it is you just cant let it go,considering these periods dont last longer than 18 months. We got through before we will again. Keep the faith.
  • Options
    stash22stash22 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    KarenCole wrote: »
    I'm sure everyone at eastenders will be gutted to lose a dedicated viewer. Or maybe they'll look st their recent veiwing figures and think actually losing one won't really make a difference!
    Sorry to be harsh but I don't see why a persons announcement that their no longer going to watch a tv show warrants a new thread when there are countless others to voice your opinion in

Well said, Karen. I'm not sure why we need yet another thread devoted to one person leaving, thus giving everyone yet another opportunity to bash EE. Seriously you should all make an 'Eastenders Quitters Thread' and then she'd could all moan away about it together.
    Exactly
    Shirely and the cat
    Free Walford1 (wellard)
    The Fair Ride Collapse
    Who killed Pauline
    Walford football team
    Demi and Leo
    Get Johnny week

Terrible, all terrible. Around the time of Demi/Leo I remember completely loosing interest and all the Johnny Allen storylines just hated, but I never stopped watching altogether.

----

I was one of the people so frustrated with EE a few months back and getting seriously bored with the show but the last month or so has been much improved so why stop watching now if youve stuck with it through all this time. Some weak episodes sometimes but on the whole I'm enjoying watching again, particulary now the babyswap storyline is out the way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_abbott wrote: »
    Once you lose the backbone of your audience you are doomed to failure. Look at Brookside as an example. That lost a lot of its original audience when it got rubbish. Neighbours has lost milions of its original loyal followers as it churns out rubbish these days.
    eighbours is alot different
    I watched that for many years but it just become nothing like the show i once loved.
    After endless numbers of revamps it's just like a Home and away clone which is why ratings have fallen in Aus aswell.

EastEnders still pretty much keeps what the show is about and the likes of Dot and Ian still get storylines.
    Neighbours legends such as Karl and Susan are hardly seen these days
    cooko94 wrote: »
    I forgot about most of them
    Lol.
    I just shows what a bad era that really was
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stash22 wrote: »
    Well said, Karen. I'm not sure why we need yet another thread devoted to one person leaving, thus giving everyone yet another opportunity to bash EE. Seriously you should all make an 'Eastenders Quitters Thread' and then she'd could all moan away about it together.

Terrible, all terrible. Around the time of Demi/Leo I remember completely loosing interest and all the Johnny Allen storylines just hated, but I never stopped watching altogether.

----

I was one of the people so frustrated with EE a few months back and getting seriously bored with the show but the last month or so has been much improved so why stop watching now if youve stuck with it through all this time. Some weak episodes sometimes but on the whole I'm enjoying watching again, particulary now the babyswap storyline is out the way.
    I remember thinking about turning off when that Demi and Leo storyline aired but still stuck with the show.

This ERA

I have said anumber of times that October -December were pretty bad and also Feb and the start of March was terrible too
  • Options
    bumpandgrindbumpandgrind Posts: 12,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bye then.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've watched since the early years (with a break from 2004-2008) and I'm still clinging on - barely - because there's a handful of characters that I'm still very attached to and interested in.

But the quality has declined, both in terms of the stories and especially the ACTING. For example, the new Ben is atrocious. Why does he keep letting out those big long "sighs" mid-scene? And I can't comprehend why people rave about Shona (who plays Whitney) all the time. I think she's a poor actress but the writers keep giving her big storylines and she can't handle them. They are going round and round in circles with the likes of Heather, Phil & Shirley, Kat & Alfie, and they introduce new characters that they don't do anything with, such as Mercy and her gran and Vanessa.

There's the occasional blinding episode where everything clicks and I remember why I have stayed faithful to this soap. But they are few and far between and no amount of forced joviality is going to change that.
  • Options
    starfish100starfish100 Posts: 12,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted.
  • Options
    Will MitchellWill Mitchell Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if you didn't turn off in 2004, I don't see you are possibly turning off now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    because you can only put up with so much for so long.
  • Options
    moongodess777moongodess777 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    dazza89 wrote: »
    Enough of these stupid threads, Corrie's just as bad and no one gives that grief.

I have now stopped watching Corrie, it's been about a month now. I did what the OP did, just deleted all the episodes and cancelled the link. I also did the same with Eastenders and only started watching again when the baby swap story came to a head.
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    I do kind of agree that Eastenders is pretty bloody awful at the moment. Question: apart from the baby swap, what storyline since the Queen Vic fire will be remembered in the future?

I honestly can't think of one, apart from the possibility of Billie's death. And I'm not some troll, I have nothing against any soap. It's just so bland and forgettable right now. You can miss weeks on end and have no problem jumping back in.
  • Options
    Will MitchellWill Mitchell Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The_abbott wrote: »
    I actually thinking how much I would rather have these stories then the crap dished out now :eek:

Ok you need to stop watching EastEnders now!
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I do kind of agree that Eastenders is pretty bloody awful at the moment. Question: apart from the baby swap, what storyline since the Queen Vic fire will be remembered in the future?

This is precisely EE's problem IMO. They have one major storyline and ignore the rest of the cast for months at a time. When was the last time half the cast even had a storyline?!
  • Options
    Guido9Guido9 Posts: 3,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit I have it on in the background alot more thesedays too :(

Its very sad to see this happen to a show you love.

Me too. Even just 2-3 years ago it was always "must see" but sadly it's mostly now "must multi task while it's on" - and usually in catch up mode on Sunday Omnibus or BBC3 at 10pm if I can be bothered!! For the first time that I can recall I sat there for a couple of the Heather sobbing episodes last week and quietly said to myself "this is dire"! Luckily I didn't have anybody else sitting there else I would've been embarrasssed to know that somebody else who I know knows I still watch it!

Don't get me wrong, I still like some of the cast and the Ronnie-Kat dust up this week looks interesting - but some of the storylines just lately have been simply awful....incl.Fatboy and Mercy, which is almost on a par with Minty and Heather's pretend wedding that time for hideousness! The only episode to top last week's worst ever week for EE for crassness was Alfie Moon's condom episode from about 2005. How that made it onto our screens I'll never ever know! Was the BBC controller on something at the time to allow it?! As for now, things can only get better.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm finding it hard to believe this is your real opinion Dan knowing you from on here ;)

You don't have to constantly make out EE is the best its ever been you know. You can be a fan and still have a negative opinion and voice concerns. Fine if you believe the show is brilliant right now but do accept that an awful lot of others disagree and just because they disagree it doesn't make them trolls.

Thank you. Someone really needed to say that!
  • Options
    summerbunnysummerbunny Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are EE fans just hard to please? because EE always get's a bashing on here unlike the other soaps. EE has just won 'best soap' award again voted by the public so people wouldn't be watching if it was as crap as you seem to think.

EE brings free Entertainment into our homes for 2 hours a week, it will have it's ups and downs
    In my personal view since the new producer has been taken on it hasn't been in the best shape ever, but he should be leaving this year anyway... it hasn't all been bad billies death, baby swap, whitney storyline, less forcus on the Mitchell family, kat and alfie return, carol jackson, Janine he really seem's to get her Character, i cant wait to watch to see how the granny storyline will unfold and i loved the xmas storyline with ryan.stacey in my view it was the best out of all of the soaps at xmas time!!! i just think some EE fans are really hard to please
    i'v really enjoyed watching the conclusion to the baby swap and i'm look foward to seeing more of the masoods and the Yusef.

The worst year personally for me was 2006/2007, i didn't get upset about it i just switched my tv off intill it got better, life is to short to be watching something you don't enjoy anymore. i'm not keen on hollyoaks at the moment but will tune in again at some point if i feel there's going to be some storylines worth watching.
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauren__ wrote: »
    1 million percent this. People just repeatedly bring up the get den watts line and fairground disaster yet that aside 2004 was an okay year and I personally prefered it ten times over to the current show. Loved the characters, writing etc. As for 2005, probably my second favourite year of the decade too just behind 2001. Great character interaction, amazing storyline, character driven etc. The fact the media was picking on it or talking about ratings means nothing to me I'd still watch it ten times over it doesn't suddenly make these years good because people are still watching

Agree with you and ghettoblaster. I personally thought 2004 and 2005 were good years of EastEnders. I cared more about the characters and the storylines were pretty decent on the whole, bar the odd dodgy story like the fairground disaster and Shirley's cat. But despite the negatives, there were positives. I do think 2010/2011 has been worse than 2004/2005. Give me 2004/2005 over 2010/2011 anyday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this problem with Emmerdale a few years back. I've always watched EastEnders but I didn't mind Emmerdale either but when you let your viewing pattern slip and the standard of the show is pants you won't be enticed to keep watching and when you try to get back into it the cast has changed and it won't feel like the same show anymore.

The only reason I haven't given up chasing the ghost with EastEnders is that thankfully it's just the four rubbish episodes a week rather then the five or six with Emmerdale and Corrie.
  • Options
    blue_cobaltblue_cobalt Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    EE is like Mark Knopfler.
    They are both in Dire Straits.