Options

Apathy towards the ex housemates. Quicker than ever this year. How about you?

Comments

• Options
    soozy_cookiesoozy_cookie Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Full Moon wrote: »
    I agree, the mantra for the shallow freaks is as always -

" Make dosh while the media frenzy lasts" :(

Can only blame the media for this though. :(
  • Options
    bbclinicbbclinic Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scots rool wrote: »
    To be fair......they were pretty rubbish.

i agree they just wanted to milk the market on naffness
  • Options
    Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    bbclinic wrote: »
    i agree they just wanted to milk the market on naffness

That type should never be allowed on BB......makes a mockery of it all. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o:oi was apathetic about them from about week two of BB:o:D:p
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could barely give a toss about any of them while they were in the house, nevermind what they are doing now.
  • Options
    Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was apathetic about them since about week 6.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bagsey wrote: »
    we get the press we deserve. I went into tescos the other day and there is 1 huge rack of magazines, all basically the same - celeb gossip mags. There must be 30 different ones.

They need to fill them with something.

Clearly people buy them or they would go out of business.

(not me I might add!)

Women and the effeminate minority of gays buy them.
    I see them in the rest room at work and most of the comment is pretty pathetic. A favourite feature is any (imagined) blemish to be found on the bodies of celebs.
    The most marked thing is that they are often bordering on Misogyny in their attacks on women.

An item appeared recently in the news that Beautiful Women are less self-confident, on average, than ordinary lookers. The Feminists jumped up and explained it is because men ogle them more often than other women. The truth seems to me, as the House and the Voters show, is that women attack with malice other women and the better looking the more vulnerable they are to attack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year i was desperately hoping that Pete would win but, although still supporting him, i realised that he was playing a game and lying and using his dead friend to win the show.

"My friend came down from heaven and said 'Pete, you should go on Big Brother!'" Whatever!

But this year, i wanted the twins to win and i'm still quite pleased that Brian won and have absolutely nothing against him at the minute - hes not come out as fake although i have the slightest of suspicion that he may have made up a few things including not knowing who shakespeare was.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What do you mean apathy after the show?

Apathy from week two more like.. seriously hopeless, the lot of them this year..:yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, we now find ourselves in a situation where it's worth going into the house, making as big a splash in there as you can (preferably by having a stupid 'love' thing going on, or by rowing with people hysterically and repeatedly - or both), and then walking after four or five weeks tops. You can then milk the ongoing pubilicity that the show's getting whilst it's still on air. This time round, our culprits were Charley (who, to be fair, didn't walk) and Chanelle. Neither of them came anywhere near winning the show, but by causing a huge ruckus in there, they'd already both made a pile of money before the show was over. Brian, on the other hand, although he won, probably hasn't made much more than the prize money.

The best solution is to increase the prize money to at least half a million, to make them stay in as long as they can, and to really fight for the prize. Most BB contestants now know you can make far more from deals than you can from winning, so why bother winning at all? They need to be given a much bigger reason to stay, or we're going to get a lot more people causing lots of trouble and then walking early.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclinic wrote: »
    yeah i forgot about simon and angie too

So did I and that Trevor geezer, you know the one with the pink hair
  • Options
    bbclinicbbclinic Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So did I and that Trevor geezer, you know the one with the pink hair

yeah that one not a pretty sight, nor karen that over pumped kitchen worker
  • Options
    kittykat001kittykat001 Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if noone cares what is everyone dicussing them for if they are not talked about they will be fogotten
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if noone cares what is everyone dicussing them for if they are not talked about they will be fogotten

The forum would be a pretty quiet place then. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsParfum wrote: »
    It isn't close to me, though. I'm American and I live in Hungary. And I watch a lot of German and Austrian tv. I don't see anything like the level of wannabe fake celebs being celebrated in any of these countries that is obvious in Britain. My hubby often travels to Britain as an English interpreter and he is sometimes apalled at the kind of stuff he sees on the newstands there lol. They have a certain level of that even here, but at least the Hungarian ones are always popstars or on tv shows or something. And they don't have a BB here anymore, folks got bored of it some time ago.
    Maybe because we had the punk revolution in the late 70s and it changed the class stero-type of celebrities?
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mindbear wrote: »
    T The winner doesn't seem to get the reward anymore, and Chanelle has been able to buy a flat in central london based on her big brother earnings.

Apparently Chanelle and Ziggy are buying/renting a flat together.

What about Jiggy's dog?
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, we now find ourselves in a situation where it's worth going into the house, making as big a splash in there as you can (preferably by having a stupid 'love' thing going on, or by rowing with people hysterically and repeatedly - or both), and then walking after four or five weeks tops. You can then milk the ongoing pubilicity that the show's getting whilst it's still on air. This time round, our culprits were Charley (who, to be fair, didn't walk) and Chanelle. Neither of them came anywhere near winning the show, but by causing a huge ruckus in there, they'd already both made a pile of money before the show was over. Brian, on the other hand, although he won, probably hasn't made much more than the prize money.

The best solution is to increase the prize money to at least half a million, to make them stay in as long as they can, and to really fight for the prize. Most BB contestants now know you can make far more from deals than you can from winning, so why bother winning at all? They need to be given a much bigger reason to stay, or we're going to get a lot more people causing lots of trouble and then walking early.

Agreed I also think it should be written into their contract
    that if a housrmate says he/she wants to walk then that is it they are out. At night and no BBLB/BBBM interviews.
    And show them BB means what they say.
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scots rool wrote: »
    The report in Heat was that she's buying a flat near Ziggeh's.
    Poor Ziggy!
  • Options
    BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lost interest about 2 secs after each one entered!!

No not one of them had that spark, that grabs you and make you take notice of them, they are all blank slates as far as i am concerned - i wasn't bothered who won or lost this year. I have no interest in what happens next for any of them...

Compared to what happened last year and the fact that i am still supporting and following the career of my favourite hm from over a year after they left the bbh, there couldn't be a more stark reminder at how bad this years lot were.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »

What about Jiggy's dog?

Don't think Molly had made enough dosh yet to have a pad of her own. :D
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mindbear wrote: »
    Well done britain.

give yourself a pat on the back for it, you watch the programme same as the rest of us, it's your fault. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,277
    Forum Member
    Woodoak wrote: »
    Maybe because we had the punk revolution in the late 70s and it changed the class stero-type of celebrities?

I don't see why that would make it different in Britain, though? It wasn't about having "class" it was about having talent and being rewarded for your skill in music, theatre, art, tv, movies or whatever. I think it's about a lot of people wanting to have everything the talented people have, without having to study or excel in anything to earn it. And I don't think it's a good thing at all.
  • Options
    MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MsParfum wrote: »
    I don't see why that would make it different in Britain, though? It wasn't about having "class" it was about having talent and being rewarded for your skill in music, theatre, art, tv, movies or whatever. I think it's about a lot of people wanting to have everything the talented people have, without having to study or excel in anything to earn it. And I don't think it's a good thing at all.

Precisely! The absolutely huge amounts of money thrown at people for having a photo taken and uttering a few, perhaps saucy words is unforgiveable really. There is poverty going on in the world, people are homeless, people can't earn enough to get their family fed yet newspapers are paying hundereds of thousands out to brainless fools because they got picked to be on a show. They have no talent, and there are tons of very very talented individuals in the world that deserve to get some rewards, but get nowhere. I saw a clip of Charley calling Nigel Havers, the esteemed actor 'darlin' and forgetting his name and being rather patronising. Who they hell does she think she is?

I want this trend to change. I want people to stop funding this industry of celebrity for celebrities sake. Who out there is spending their money on OK magazine for gods sake? It's got NOTHING IN IT!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lost count of the amount of posts I've made denouncing Jade, Grace and Nikki and wishing them into obscurity but somehow, the sentiment of this thread still strikes me as slightly odd.

How can any FM (being a person who cares enough about BB to post on an internet forum about it) possibly resent the fact that a HM has become famous (or celebrated)? How is this forum or the watching of BB somehow unrelated to the process of making ordinary people famous for 'being themselves'? That's what BB is, a whole nation gawping obsessively at their telly boxes, as 10+ HM act out a fairly dull version of reality.

There is one school of thought on HMs which wants them to be as 'normal' as possible and prefer them the more normal that they are. Now, if that's what you want to see, how can you complain that this person is now famous even though they are 'ordinary' and 'not talented'? You were interested in them for precisely that reason... they would never have become famous (or infamous) without you. If you don't want ordinary people to become well-known then don't buy into the idea of Big Brother. Incidentally, it's worth pointing out that the hierarchy of 'deserved celebrity' which this thread implies doesn't stand much scutiny either--- how many 'real' celebrities have a genuine talent? The Royal Family immediately spring to mind. Even buying fully into that distinction we surely agree that 90% of the newsprint generated by celebrities has nothing to do with their work.. it's always about their personal lives. And Ex-HMs have those too, as well as everybody else (and again, our original interest in their personal lives, played out on BB, is what made them famous in the first place).

There is a second school of thought, which I guess propelled someone like Brian Dowling to quasi-fame, that BB HMs are special individuals who are more entertaining and charismatic than most people and that's why we like to watch them. Again, if that is the case then why wouldn't you mind if they became a celebrity or ended up in magazines afterwards?

In many respects, we (people who watch Big Brother) have the celebrity culture we deserve.

Don't let Chiggy bother you too much, their exposure is unlikely to last beyond BB9. Now Jade Goody, on the other hand...:mad::o
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    kwentsiwa wrote: »
    I've lost count of the amount of posts I've made denouncing Jade, Grace and Nikki and wishing them into obscurity but somehow, the sentiment of this thread still strikes me as slightly odd.

How can any FM (being a person who cares enough about BB to post on an internet forum about it) possibly resent the fact that a HM has become famous (or celebrated)? How is this forum or the watching of BB somehow unrelated to the process of making ordinary people famous for 'being themselves'? That's what BB is, a whole nation gawping obsessively at their telly boxes, as 10+ HM act out a fairly dull version of reality.

There is one school of thought on HMs which wants them to be as 'normal' as possible and prefer them the more normal that they are. Now, if that's what you want to see, how can you complain that this person is now famous even though they are 'ordinary' and 'not talented'? You were interested in them for precisely that reason... they would never have become famous (or infamous) without you. If you don't want ordinary people to become well-known then don't buy into the idea of Big Brother. Incidentally, it's worth pointing out that the hierarchy of 'deserved celebrity' which this thread implies doesn't stand much scutiny either--- how many 'real' celebrities have a genuine talent? The Royal Family immediately spring to mind. Even buying fully into that distinction we surely agree that 90% of the newsprint generated by celebrities has nothing to do with their work.. it's always about their personal lives. And Ex-HMs have those too, as well as everybody else (and again, our original interest in their personal lives, played out on BB, is what made them famous in the first place).

There is a second school of thought, which I guess propelled someone like Brian Dowling to quasi-fame, that BB HMs are special individuals who are more entertaining and charismatic than most people and that's why we like to watch them. Again, if that is the case then why wouldn't you mind if they became a celebrity or ended up in magazines afterwards?

In many respects, we (people who watch Big Brother) have the celebrity culture we deserve.

Don't let Chiggy bother you too much, their exposure is unlikely to last beyond BB9. Now Jade Goody, on the other hand...:mad::o

I think you've made some very good points there. These people do, for the most part, keep us well entertained for several weeks. In my book that alone entitles them to some level of celebrity status, however fleeting. What really really bug me though is when we get unpopular ones force fed to us simply because the have an agent with clout.