Cross Channel Ghosting

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
Forum Member
Finally got hands on a Humax DTR. Brilliant box, only problem is a bit of cross channel ghosting - i.e. I can see the 'ghost' very faintly of another channel on top of the one being viewed.

Any ideas? I've got a Foxsat upstairs wired up to the same dish with no such problems, so it can't be dish alignment.

The DTR is wired up via SCART (don't have an HDTV downstairs).

Comments

• TV DUNIYATV DUNIYA Posts: 6,772
    Forum Member
    This is usually down to poorly screened scart cables,known as scart crosstalk.
    Use individually screened scart cables(21 pin) or a cheaper method is described here.
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you bought the Humax HD PVR just to future proof yourself, as it's obviously not in use with an HD tv?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Thanks TV Duniya, I'll find a screened SCART lead and give that a go.

Dave - yeah, it's actually for my parents - they don't have a HDTV just yet, but I'd imagine they will do in the next couple of years so thought I'd sort them out with the HD PVR.

Was quite hilarious in Currys actually: the moronic sales guy firstly tried to sell me a £70 HDMI lead despite previously mentioning it was for an SDTV... then went on to warn me not to set the box to output in 1080i as the HD channels broadcast natively in 720p and setting it at 1080i would "interfere with the picture". When I told him pretty much all HD is broadcast in 1080i, he denied it point blank and said I was wrong!
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave - yeah, it's actually for my parents - they don't have a HDTV just yet, but I'd imagine they will do in the next couple of years so thought I'd sort them out with the HD PVR.

Re reading my post above, it looks like I was having a go at you - that's not the case. I was merely interested in why you had an HD box connected via scart. Two possibilities dawned on me, firstly that it was in readiness for an HD set later on, but also I wondered if you bought a freesat HD PVR just because that's the only freesat PVR available, and would have bought a freesat SD PVR if one had been available.

Just for the record, I use a sky HD box currently only on a SD CRT tv, in my case bought because I got it cheap and I might as well be able to watch BBC HD (in SD) as it's sometimes a usefull timeshift of other BBC channels.
    D the moronic sales guy firstly tried to sell me a £70 HDMI lead despite previously mentioning it was for an SDTV

I installed a monster flat panel tv for a friend, complete with the gold plated £70 hdmi lead he was persuaded that he needed by the salesman. Complete waste of money IMO.