Why do people dislike Celine Dion?

2»

Comments

• glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    She may not be commericially successful, but she isn't ignored.

I'd say she was commercially successful.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..... or theres more popular female artists for members of this forum then there is male.... in which case of course there will be more negetive threads on female artists! :p

Yes, could be but I think that these threads are up for a bit of content analysis.
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    Theoretically and anecdotally it's true that 'nothing is for everyone' but one 'fact' I have drawn from these threads is that female artists receive at least twice the amount of negative threads that male artists do.

Jessie J, Cheryl Cole, Celine Dion, Gaga, Miley Cyrus, Beyoncé, Rita Ora have all been the source of negatively posed threads whilst you could only say 1D and Gary Barlow have had negatively posed threads in the same amount of space (about the last 7 pages of threads). That's a 7-2 ratio. Yours above is 7-3.

This suggests to me that posters here are more likely to see a female artist in a negative light than a male one. That's a working theory rather than a fact but I have strong feeling that this biased view of female artists is more prevalent than many would believe.
    The OP may be on to something.

I think you're right, however I believe that female artists (generally chart-friendly pop stars) tend to have more threads created about them than male, whether positive OR negative. The chaps don't seem to be swinging it - either with the British public or else the contributors here and I don't take enough notice of the mainstream any more to know whether it's a DS forum thing or a wider phenomenon.

I do feel that most of these charting pop stars are rather marmite; often not especially talented and easy to criticise. When they combine huge success with 'annoying behaviour' they seem to come under harder scrutiny than say rock musicians who seem to have a free pass to do pretty much as they please because they pick up guitars and are more credible with the hipsters.

I think bad behaviour in a woman is still more taboo than in a male who will simply be branded a 'bad-boy' and hence; desirable. The press panders to these ideas too.

Having said that I seem to hear more people deridng Kanye West on personality that any other contemporary artist.
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why there's this thread saying Celine Dion isn't popular or well liked, maybe by some obviously but her continued success as an artist speaks for itself really.
    She's in her 3rd year residency at Caesars palace in Las Vegas for starters, performing in a 4, 300 seat state of the art venue.
    http://www.celineinvegas.com/show.php
    Celine is also at #7 in the 100 richest singers in the world list, for people to say she isn't commercially successful is laughable.
    http://www.therichest.com/top-lists/top-100-richest-singers/
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getty wrote: »
    I don't understand why there's this thread saying Celine Dion isn't popular or well liked, maybe by some obviously but her continued success as an artist speaks for itself really.
    She's in her 3rd year residency at Caesars palace in Las Vegas for starters, performing in a 4, 300 seat state of the art venue.
    http://www.celineinvegas.com/show.php
    Celine is also at #7 in the 100 richest singers in the world list, for people to say she isn't commercially successful is laughable.
    http://www.therichest.com/top-lists/top-100-richest-singers/

read the thread...theres plenty here who cannot stand her.

pointing to her world wide appeal (which isnt in doubt) doesnt alter the fact that generally shes not liked by british music fans. thats not saying she hasnt got a fan base.... westlife have too but that doesnt mean they are liked by the majority.

bland artists like celine attract alot of attention from 'squares' who have little time, liking, or knowlege of pop music (in all its forms) fair enough, not everybody likes pop music. but ask the people who DO have a broad knowlege, interest and liking of pop music....i bet they will dislike her too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    read the thread...theres plenty here who cannot stand her.

pointing to her world wide appeal (which isnt in doubt) doesnt alter the fact that generally shes not liked by british music fans. thats not saying she hasnt got a fan base.... westlife have too but that doesnt mean they are liked by the majority.

bland artists like celine attract alot of attention from 'squares' who have little time, liking, or knowlege of pop music (in all its forms) fair enough, not everybody likes pop music. but ask the people who DO have a broad knowlege, interest and liking of pop music....i bet they will dislike her too.

All your post seems to be telling me is that you're an arrogant, pompous know it all, who seems to think you know what everyone else is thinking and what they're thinking is totally wrong.
    Your opinion is yours alone, don't speak for other people and don't patronise or insult me by insinuating my knowledge of music and what I like, or my opinion is worthless because it's not as good and expert as you think yours is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getty wrote: »
    All your post seems to be telling me is that you're an arrogant, pompous know it all, who seems to think you know what everyone else is thinking and what they're thinking is totally wrong.
    Your opinion is yours alone, don't speak for other people and don't patronise or insult me by insinuating my knowledge of music and what I like, or my opinion is worthless because it's not as good and expert as you think yours is.

ooh...touched a nerve there, lol.
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scrilla wrote: »
    I think you're right, however I believe that female artists (generally chart-friendly pop stars) tend to have more threads created about them than male, whether positive OR negative. The chaps don't seem to be swinging it - either with the British public or else the contributors here and I don't take enough notice of the mainstream any more to know whether it's a DS forum thing or a wider phenomenon.

I do feel that most of these charting pop stars are rather marmite; often not especially talented and easy to criticise. When they combine huge success with 'annoying behaviour' they seem to come under harder scrutiny than say rock musicians who seem to have a free pass to do pretty much as they please because they pick up guitars and are more credible with the hipsters.

I think bad behaviour in a woman is still more taboo than in a male who will simply be branded a 'bad-boy' and hence; desirable. The press panders to these ideas too.

Having said that I seem to hear more people deridng Kanye West on personality that any other contemporary artist.

And I don't think anyone gets more hate on here (and probably anywhere else as well) than Justin Bieber
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think that she is disliked in general. The reasons why I don't listen to her are :

I find her music boring
    I don't like the sound of her voice
    I don't think she is as good as Mariah and Whitney

On a side note I don't know what shape her voice is in these days because she lip syncs a lot.

However I think the fact that she is French Canadian, i. E not American and English isn't her first Language has counted against her in the eyes of the general public.

Subjectively is say that it's also due to her voice not being on the same level as Mariah and Whitney.

Objectively its the French Canadian thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just a little, but that was yesterday and today I'm fine.:D
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    mialicious wrote: »
    My reasons for disliking her are as follows...
    Her wailing voice
    Her feigning of emotion
    Her songs
    Her sense of style
    Her blandness
    Her personality
    Her ego
    Her facial expressions
    Her neck
    Her crappy cover versions
    My heart will go on, drives me up the wall…and i bet every funeral director in the world hates it as well as they must have to listen to it at least twice a day.
    Also not a fan of the film titanic, so i dislike her through association.

:D You forgot her cryptkeeper older husband
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that she is disliked in general. The reasons why I don't listen to her are :

I find her music boring
    I don't like the sound of her voice
    I don't think she is as good as Mariah and Whitney

On a side note I don't know what shape her voice is in these days because she lip syncs a lot.

However I think the fact that she is French Canadian, i. E not American and English isn't her first Language has counted against her in the eyes of the general public.

Subjectively is say that it's also due to her voice not being on the same level as Mariah and Whitney.

Objectively its the French Canadian thing.

Think you will find there are quite a few people who have no love for those two either .
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If anyone dislikes Celine it's cause she's just too darn good! Though her music is hardly what you would call 'cool'.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »
    Think you will find there are quite a few people who have no love for those two either .

This ^^.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to reiterate a point I made earlier some people just do not like Technical Singers. She has voice but no heart and for many that is major turn off.

Add to the fact she is so not cool and quite MOR doesn't help.

In the long run does she give a crap with her many million and sell out shows :).

It's like Phil Collins for some reason especially in the UK he is just seen as uncool :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone dislikes Celine it's cause she's just too darn good! Though her music is hardly what you would call 'cool'.

no...its because we dont like her material, voice, etc etc etc.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barney06 wrote: »

Indeed. They're both the sort of no heart, soul or passion singers that I can't stand. Shame that Whitney released the bland corporate watered down dirges that she did because she definitely had the talent to do so much more as some of her later material showed glimpses of.

No, it's because her voice, while technically good, has nothing exciting, interesting or passionate about it. For me, a great vocalist is about making the hairs on my arms stand up, not making sure all the boxes are ticked and every note is hit at the expense of soul and heart
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Indeed. They're both the sort of no heart, soul or passion singers that I can't stand. Shame that Whitney released the bland corporate watered down dirges that she did because she definitely had the talent to do so much more as some of her later material showed glimpses of.

No, it's because her voice, while technically good, has nothing exciting, interesting or passionate about it. For me, a great vocalist is about making the hairs on my arms stand up, not making sure all the boxes are ticked and every note is hit at the expense of soul and heart

Is the sound of an artist's voice not just one element of the quality of an artists's work?
    For me pop music is mainly about great songs.

I find that Aretha Franklin performing 'I Say a Little Prayer for You' makes the hairs stand on the back of my neck (rather than arms) and so does Ian Curtis/Joy Division performing 'Atmosphere'. The quality of the singing is very different but the quality of the songs is comparable.

In the end it is the quality of the material that makes an artist. And that's probably where Celine Dion suffers a bit.
  • Rae_AmuryRae_Amury Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think people dislike her. They just don't care. She has no charisma and her music is extremely dull, boring and full of clichés.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,891
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    :D You forgot her cryptkeeper older husband

They seem really happy. I met him once, he's a lovely unassuming bloke. Much nicer than you appear to be that's for sure.

As for Celine. I would definitely say the material she has been given/decided to do has been the biggest problem. She has played it too safe. I think a lot of people believe the "nicey nicey" persona is an act too but you will always get that. Oh she can't possibly be that rich, successful and nice at the same time, as if such a thing doesn't exist.
  • Lucy Van PeltLucy Van Pelt Posts: 11,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    because her songs are dreadful ear filth simple as

not saying she cannot sing, but don't like her style of singing and the dreadful songs she performs - especially that horrendous duet she did with Babara Streisand - arrrgghhh (Babs what were you thinking???:o)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    She leaves me a bit cold for some reason, but I do like some of her songs.

I don't think she's disliked though. There was an understandable backlash against My Heart Will Go On but her shows in Las Vegas did very well so she's obviously still a respected artist.