Options

In any soap has this ever happened ?

leleblahblahleleblahblah Posts: 299
Forum Member
Now just a thought has this ever happen ....when a rape has ocurred and the viewers has witnessed it butt the victim never reports it I.e keeps it to themselves. Horrible as it seems it does happen u know

Comments

• Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stacey never reported Archie, but I don't think it was shown.
    Did Little Mo report when she got rape??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean have they actually shown a full rape scene, but the victim never reported it or told anyone?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What I mean t to say is the person being raped never reported it not told a soul.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As horrible as it sounds it must happen
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, no I don't think that has ever happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I feel horrid for for saying it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel horrid for for saying it

It was just a question you shouldn't feel horrid.
    It does happen, some people in real life don't report it or tell anyone :( however in a soap I don't think that has ever happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That what I was thinking ... I was actually thinking it may happen to john Paul in holly oaks
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That what I was thinking ... I was actually thinking it may happen to john Paul in holly oaks

I think he won't tell anyone for a while but will eventually. It's going to be so sad watching the aftermath and when he tells someone, poor JP.
  • Options
    Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    Lisa from Emmerdale didn't tell anyone for ages. :(
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Moon after being attacked by Derek Branning.
  • Options
    KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No soap would show an actual rape scene...the lead up to it...and the after effects...but never the actual rape.

First of all...all soaps are shown before the watershed...then would anyone truly like to see an actual rape taking place? I know I wouldn't watch it...and I'm no prude. But some things are best left unseen.
  • Options
    ReservedReserved Posts: 12,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think soaps would find it pointless to air storylines with no aftermath. Of course, we'd see the aftermath of the character dealing with the rape alone, but there wouldn't be much to show since we need conversation to progress storylines. There's only so many times we can see the character stressed out/crying on their own before we'd get fed up.

However, I do really dislike how every little secret just HAS to come out in soap. I forgot all about Jay's kiss with Kitty in EastEnders, then Dexter randomly (for no reason whatsoever) blurts it out in front of Abi. Why couldn't it just be swept under the carpet, never to be discussed again? In the end, it was a pointless reveal anyway, since nothing's changed between that group of friends.

It'd be refreshing to see someone keep a big thing to themselves - whether it's rape, a murder they witnessed (or committed), an affair... but it'll never happen because like I said above, it'd be pointless storytelling.
    KaylaL wrote: »
    No soap would show an actual rape scene...the lead up to it...and the after effects...but never the actual rape.

First of all...all soaps are shown before the watershed...then would anyone truly like to see an actual rape taking place? I know I wouldn't watch it...and I'm no prude. But some things are best left unseen.

I think you've misunderstood the thread.
  • Options
    KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could argue that we saw Michael being raped by Derek Branning
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Luke Morgan, Hollyoaks first male rape victim, didn't report it for ages. It was pretty awful. He only told his brother what happened after becoming terribly distressed and going through hell for weeks.

With regards to the actual showing the rape, I know that's not what you asked OP, but actually as it was featured in a late night special, part of it was shown. Obviously, it wasn't graphic.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Luke Morgan, Hollyoaks first male rape victim, didn't report it for ages. It was pretty awful. He only told his brother what happened after becoming terribly distressed and going through hell for weeks.

With regards to the actual showing the rape, I know that's not what you asked OP, but actually as it was featured in a late night special, part of it was shown. Obviously, it wasn't graphic.

Played by the wonderful Gary Lucy who now plays Danny in Eastenders.

I didn't watch Hollyoaks until 18 months or so after this storyline, but wasn't it until about 3 months after that Luke crashed his car and then told Adam?
  • Options
    StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Played by the wonderful Gary Lucy who now plays Danny in Eastenders.

I didn't watch Hollyoaks until 18 months or so after this storyline, but wasn't it until about 3 months after that Luke crashed his car and then told Adam?

It was a while afterwards, I couldn't tell you exactly but I remember him being in hospital at the time. Although I couldn't remember why until you said that. I used to have that episode on tape for some reason. I probably still have it somewhere. They dealt with that whole storyline really well. I remember how all the members of his family reacted. His Dad walked out at first, I think, he was all old fashioned about it. I think he did a bit of victim blaming. His sister Zara asked if it meant he was gay. His friends were all uncomfortable about the mention of it, really for as long as he was in Hollyoaks. I remember Adam was the one to tell their family because Luke was too ashamed to. Horrible. They really worked at showing various and often ignorant ways that people react to try and educate the audience.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was a while afterwards, I couldn't tell you exactly but I remember him being in hospital at the time. Although I couldn't remember why until you said that. I used to have that episode on tape for some reason. I probably still have it somewhere. They dealt with that whole storyline really well. I remember how all the members of his family reacted. His Dad walked out at first, I think, he was all old fashioned about it. I think he did a bit of victim blaming. His sister Zara asked if it meant he was gay. His friends were all uncomfortable about the mention of it, really for as long as he was in Hollyoaks. I remember Adam was the one to tell their family because Luke was too ashamed to. Horrible. They really worked at showing various and often ignorant ways that people react to try and educate the audience.

Yeh I read the book 'Luke's Secret Diary' so knew a bit about the storyline even though I didn't see much of it. I started watching just before he left. I did see the DVD they did when Luke was attacked by Scott Anderson and some other people when they made him think it was going to happen again. It was so well acted.

I always remember when Luke came back for his mum and dad's wedding, just after Gary had filmed Footballer's Wives, and asked for a Chardonnay (Kyle's wife in FW) :D
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,315
    Forum Member
    There have been a lot of instances were nothing was said for a very long time but struggling to think of one where it was never finally revealed to at least one person.

As mentioned, Lisa Dingle kept quiet for weeks, maybe a couple of months. Kirby in Dynasty only told people when she discovered it had resulted in pregnancy (and we had seen the attack unlike staceys in EE).

Actually, Krystle never told anyone about Blake raping her in Dynasty but they had some very odd attitudes to rape in that show. It was almost as though because theyb were married and she'd lied about taking the Pill, it didn't matter and she 'deserved' it. As I say, very screwed up attitude.

Luke Morgan didn't tell anyone he had been raped for months either. Hollyoaks fitst male rape.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry, just seen that someone mentioned Luke already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Mel Burton in Hollyoaks didn't after she was raped she just went on absolute bender with the alcohol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mel Burton in Hollyoaks didn't after she was raped she just went on absolute bender with the alcohol

Oh yes. She told people in the end though didn't she? Certainly the people involved seemed to know why she hated Andy (?was it) so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sophie and Mel both went to the police when they realised they had been drugged and it turned out that only Mel had been raped.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Michael Moon after being attacked by Derek Branning.
    You could argue that we saw Michael being raped by Derek Branning

When did this happen?? :o I hardly watched EE in the Derek era but never saw anything like this on DS ect.
    kitkat1971 wrote: »
    Oh yes. She told people in the end though didn't she? Certainly the people involved seemed to know why she hated Andy (?was it) so much.

No! Mel and Sophie went straight to the police the next day and reported it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Derek and Michael thing was at the very best inference. I personally never saw anything in that scene that suggested that anything sexual had happened. People took the fact that Michael was on the floor and Derek was straightening his tie whilst recovering his breath as an indication that it was rape but the physical strain of beating him (even if michael didn't fight back) would be enough for that. A lot of posters seemed obsessed with the notion that Derek was a rapist round that time - there were many threads suggesting Lauren was the result of him raping Tanya.