Options

The Flash - US Pace - Spoilers tagged

Comments

• Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Ok, quite surprised to see this pop up on the usual sources so early.

So having sat through the pilot episode of The Flash, I can honestly say that I am really looking forward to the rest of the series. Ok at times it felt a little cheesy but in a good way. It had a smattering of cgi, some obviously good looking people (well it is the CW) and a spot of bad acting from the Father.

It was a nice nod to the originating series with
    The Arrow popping up to supply some words of wisdom

At times for me it felt like a cross between Mutant X and Smallville but with
    the newspaper from the future
    at the end, there seemed to be enough to draw me back for the next episode. I just hope that it doesn't turn into the Freak of the Week type show.

Most shows like this tend to start out as a freak of the week type so new watchers can tune in over the first few weeks and not really missed out on anything on the overall season arc.

I refuse to watch the pilot until air date, Stephen even mentioned how it was leaked on his facebook which will stop a fair few people watching it early I imagine

with regards your bottom spoiler there was a show based around that concept in the 90's
    Early edition or something if I recall
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No UK broadcaster yet?
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched it and very good it was as well. Was a bit sceptical going in as i suppose i'm used to the Arrow 'no powers' universe but i think they handled this really well.

Some nice little tidbits there as well to keep things interesting.

I wonder ..
    .. if we'll have some kind of "flash forward" (pardon the pun..) in the same way that they have flash backs to the island in Arrow ?

Will definitely look out for this at UK pace though, so hopefully someone will pick it up.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Woah, it's aired already? Didn't think it was out till friggin October...
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What? I thought it was starting in the fall? Was the pilot leaked or something???

Grant posted on Twitter 4 hours ago that it was airing October 7th?:confused:
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What? I thought it was starting in the fall? Was the pilot leaked or something???

Yes the pilot was leaked but it is a poor copy, I'd wait for the official release.
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the pilot was leaked but it is a poor copy, I'd wait for the official release.

Oh, phew! Will be waiting for the proper version of it. Don't want to spoil it before it airs! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's anything but a "poor copy" IMO. But each to their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

It depends which encode you get.

It has a watermark for one thing and ghosting for another on my version.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The watermark didn't bother me. And i certainly didn't notice any ghosting. But then I don't look for stuff like that anyway - the PQ for me was perfectly fine, the audio was in sync so it was good enough in the respect.
  • Options
    xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apart from the watermark, mine was perfectly fine as well no ghosting either.

Depends I which one you grab I guess.

Great Pilot I thought, looking forward to the series very much now.
  • Options
    xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watching it now .....

and right away with the prologue
    there's THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN with the parents backstory, and MORE FRIKKING FORBODING in the language used ..... kinda shallow and twee
    and the next bit
    barry's mental visualisations like DA VINCI'S DEMONS and in part ELEMENTARY with his brains :D

and interesting they
    changed the name MARK to CLIVE mardon ..... unless of course, it's his DEAD BROTHER :o

and the
    MISFITS angle, with practically anyone gaining powers aka THE METAHUMANS

but i'm not saying that a BAD thing ..... rather liking it :cool: just needs a little tidying up, and even perhaps lengthing it out to feature length?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member

it was not scene compliant by any means. it had a variable frame rate and was badly de-interlaced by the looks of it.

but it was crf=20.

it's typical really of web-dl versions and screeners. if your fully scene compliant copy is 10/10 i'd give this an 8.

not bad by any stretch of the imagination.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to wait until the wife is home as she is very much interested in this. She didn't like Arrow because it wasn't sci-fi enough for a superhero show, but she should like this if the trailers are anything to go by.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,102
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    I did not enjoy it.

Sometimes 45 minutes will fly past when watching a show, this was not that show. It was okay but 45 minutes felt much longer than it should. Geoff Johns was involved in the script which is probably why it didn't feel right to me as I've never been a fan of his writing.

There's potential there but I didn't enjoy it as much as the Arrow pilot. The Tomorrow People lost it's slot for this show right? Shame.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Rooks wrote: »
    Sometimes 45 minutes will fly past when watching a show, this was not that show. It was okay but 45 minutes felt much longer than it should. Geoff Johns was involved in the script which is probably why it didn't feel right to me as I've never been a fan of his writing.

There's potential there but I didn't enjoy it as much as the Arrow pilot. The Tomorrow People lost it's slot for this show right? Shame.

yeah basically. i will give it one more episode.

I'm finding a lot of these shows a bit generic and interchangeable. like it could have been an episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I've just watched it too, and I liked it quite a lot. Figured there was more to Dr Wells than we were initially being led to believe, and I've a sneaky suspicion about Eddie (the other cop) too. Was good to see Ollie's (Arrow) scene too, though we'd practically seen all of that in the trailers for the Flash show.

What concerns me here though is that newspaper;
    It clearly indicates that there is an element of time travel, or the altering of time within this universe, and I'd much rather them leave all of that alone. If someone starts messing around with the timeline in the Flash series, then it would ultimately bounce through to the Arrow series (or at least, it should do). Time Travel plots are tricky at best, and I'd much rather these shows (and DC/Marvel films) leave that the hell alone.

Was interesting (in the newspaper) to see the mention of Queen and Wayne combined though. A nice little nod there to Arrow and Batman.
    One thing that does, irritate me with this show (and arrow) - though it isn't a fault of the show, but it's that the people behind the big budget films (Man of Steel; Batman vs Superman, Justice League etc) apparently aren't connecting the two universes up; Marvel have done the job of connecting Agents of Shield with the Marvel Universe, and it's working great. I don't see what DC have to lose. All they'd need is a cameo (or even a mention) or the characters from the show, just to keep it all consistent.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    ...Time Travel plots are tricky at best.....
    I don't think they HAVE to be tricky. I've thought for a long time that all you'd need was a little time and patience and thought and you could craft a plot that made sense and was easily followable - too often they make things needlessly complex and full of unnecessary and obviously wrong/illogical flaws.
    and yes I know time travel is all hypothetical but if it DID exist it would make sense, like Heaven, there's no proving it exists and loads of people will have loads of ideas as to what it is, but to say it is one big room full of malteasers is obviously wrong.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,102
    Forum Member
    One thing that does, irritate me with this show (and arrow) - though it isn't a fault of the show, but it's that the people behind the big budget films (Man of Steel; Batman vs Superman, Justice League etc) apparently aren't connecting the two universes up; Marvel have done the job of connecting Agents of Shield with the Marvel Universe, and it's working great. I don't see what DC have to lose. All they'd need is a cameo (or even a mention) or the characters from the show, just to keep it all consistent.

DC have always failed at continuity in their TV and Movie worlds and its one of the reasons why success doesn't breed success in the DC movies. Batman is a good example here. They are so protective over the brand that the Dark Knight stands apart from the rest of the DC universe so it's success didn't transfer to other franchises (Green Lantern for example). We are getting a Batman/Superman movie only because of the success of Avengers and even then they seem to be making it a different type of Batman. Marvel positively revel in cross-overs and cameos which seems to help their popularity.
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just watched it too, and I liked it quite a lot. Figured there was more to Dr Wells than we were initially being led to believe, and I've a sneaky suspicion about Eddie (the other cop) too. Was good to see Ollie's (Arrow) scene too, though we'd practically seen all of that in the trailers for the Flash show.

It clearly indicates that there is an element of time travel, or the altering of time within this universe, and I'd much rather them leave all of that alone. If someone starts messing around with the timeline in the Flash series, then it would ultimately bounce through to the Arrow series (or at least, it should do). Time Travel plots are tricky at best, and I'd much rather these shows (and DC/Marvel films) leave that the hell alone.

Was interesting (in the newspaper) to see the mention of Queen and Wayne combined though. A nice little nod there to Arrow and Batman.

Connecting movies/shows means that no bat verse/superverse/wonderverse or any of the other characters verses reserved for movies can ever appear on the TV series. Since they can't afford movie actor fees, increased special effects for movie supers. Plots/characters then immediately get reserved for movies, ragardles of whether there's barely any intention of making them. DC had this problem in the past, and it appears they're letting the "Batman is in a movie so can't star in a TV series because people are idiots and will think it's the same Batman!" slide, so why would you want them to re-introduce these pointless mandates again by linking movies/TV series? It's equivalent to blowing the TV shows' feet off.

DC movies/TV shows linking benefits the movies, but it only hinders the show. Every time a fan suggests this I just want to slap them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    it was not scene compliant by any means. it had a variable frame rate and was badly de-interlaced by the looks of it.

but it was crf=20.

it's typical really of web-dl versions and screeners. if your fully scene compliant copy is 10/10 i'd give this an 8.

not bad by any stretch of the imagination.

This is the mediainfo for the version I have.

ormat : Matroska
    Format version : Version 2
    File size : 131 MiB
    Duration : 46mn 50s
    Overall bit rate : 390 Kbps
    Encoded date : UTC 2014-06-25 11:31:52
    Writing application : mkvmerge v6.5.0 ('Isn't she lovely') built on Oct 20 2013 12:50:05
    Writing library : libebml v1.3.0 + libmatroska v1.4.1

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : High@L3.1
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
    Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
    Nominal bit rate : 340 Kbps
    Width : 720 pixels
    Height : 482 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 29.970 fps
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.033
    Writing library : x264 core 138 r2358 9e941d1
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : HE-AAC / LC
    Codec ID : A_AAC
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz / 24.0 KHz
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Delay relative to video : 31ms
    Language : English
    Default : Yes
    Forced : No
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    watched it again
    liked it even more

interesting note though

SUPER SECRET SPOILER
    according to the wiki, they have EDDIE "PRETTY BOY" THAWNE as the one with the mystery past and harbours the dark secret ..... but it's DOCTOR WELLS that holds the future newspaper???

i wonder what ..... or IF ..... they have planned for this as they're mixing the two characters up!

also nice superman line from THAWNE when he arrests the laptop mugger :D
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    watched it again
    liked it even more

interesting note though

SUPER SECRET SPOILER
    according to the wiki, they have EDDIE "PRETTY BOY" THAWNE as the one with the mystery past and harbours the dark secret ..... but it's DOCTOR WELLS that holds the future newspaper???

i wonder what ..... or IF ..... they have planned for this as they're mixing the two characters up!

also nice superman line from THAWNE when he arrests the laptop mugger :D
    Could Wells be Thawne's future self?
  • Options
    natalie77natalie77 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy to wait and watch it when it premieres in October I don't see the point of watching now and then waiting over 3 months to see the second episode!!