Bald patch on Cat

BerBer Posts: 24,562
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A few days ago I noticed my cat had a patch of bare skin at the top of his leg (well, at the bit where his leg goes towards the tail). I took a look and he had what seemed to be a small "weepy" cut in the middle (no blood). He was OK in himself and not acting any diferently, eating normally, etc. so I thought I would just keep an eye on it.

The wound is still really weepy but the actual bald patch itself has gotten bigger - he hasn't been scratching at it or biting in any way and it doesn't seem to be bothering him in the slightest. Its seems like his fur is falling out for no reason and it is literally bare skin showing through

I suppose a trip to the vet is in order, but in the meantime does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Comments

• dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be a flea allergy but best you take puss to the vets, It will put your mind at rest.

There again there are so many pusscats lovers and *experts* on this forum they will be able to advise you more.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the vet couldn't say without seeing it.
    Possibilities could include ringworm, flea allergic dermatitis, overgrooming, eczema, abcess, an abrasion, etc
    Without knowing what it is little advice can be helpfully provided, beyond advising getting a diagnosis from the vet :)
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd guess it's a flea allergy and he's ripped the fur out and caused the wound himself.

Take him to the vet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bald patch will be from over-grooming - and it's the over grooming reason you have to deal with. Assuming you flea drop your cat regularly etc, you need to go to the vet. I had/still have sometimes the same problem with one of my cats. Or, if your cat isn't too fidgety and you can manage it, cover it in some sudo cream. It helps heal, and the cat won't lick it because of the lavendar in it. :)
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Take the cat to the vet and don't let it out or let flies near it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my cats guinness has a realy bad allergy to something. He was treated for about 3-4 months he had all the collars creams/tablets you could imagine. One point we thought we was going too loose him. He started to turn a corner when we rescue a tiny kitten sounds grosse but he washed him and within 2 wks he was back too normal. I would take him to the vets
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will be calling the vets first thing tomorrow!

I've just been upstairs and he has been obviously been lying on our bed because there is a big patch of "ick" where his little wound thing has oozed out onto the duvet cover :o

I really hope its nothing serious!!

He has his flea drops regularly, so pretty sure its not fleas - but who knows what he could have picked up during his wanderings :(.
  • cats_fivecats_five Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ber wrote: »
    Will be calling the vets first thing tomorrow!

I've just been upstairs and he has been obviously been lying on our bed because there is a big patch of "ick" where his little wound thing has oozed out onto the duvet cover :o

I really hope its nothing serious!!

He has his flea drops regularly, so pretty sure its not fleas - but who knows what he could have picked up during his wanderings :(.

Sounds like an abcess to me, but take him to the vets.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could he have been in a fight. Let us know how he gets on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    Could he have been in a fight. Let us know how he gets on.

True, surprisingly common that cats get bit on the butt when running away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abcess theory rings a bell - our Coco had a bald patch and within days the abcess had grown, took her to the vets and got it lanced (beware this is a vile smell) and she was back to herself in no time - fur and all :o)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mummymaz wrote: »
    abcess theory rings a bell - our Coco had a bald patch and within days the abcess had grown, took her to the vets and got it lanced (beware this is a vile smell) and she was back to herself in no time - fur and all :o)

Suspect the OP's cat's abcess has lanced itself hence the big patch of 'ick'. If that's what it is then hopefully all that is needed is regular bathing for a few days so it heals from the bottom upwards - cat bit wounds have a habit of closing at the skin level and leaving a pocket of infection to form an abcess. Guess there might be an injection and/or course of antibiotics as well, hopefully no need for it to be cleaned out under anasthetic.

BTW why don't we have a 'bleugh' sort of smiley?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All... Bob is booked into the vets this evening so hopefully will get an answer.

Will let you know what they vet says later on:)
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Sounds like a ruptured absess (regular occurrence in our house...) If so they will probably syringe/squeeze out the rest of the gunk and give antibiotics. Good luck (don't watch while they do it:D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold star to all that said it was an abcess!!!

One gunk squeeze and an anti-biotic injection later and we have a very grumpy cat who is upstairs sulking :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold star to all that said it was an abcess!!!

One gunk squeeze and an anti-biotic injection later and we have a very grumpy cat who is upstairs sulking :D

LOL! It's only his dignity - he is probably a lot more comfortable now. I was always told to keep bathing abcesses with warm salty water to make sure they didn't close prematurely.

Is he on antibiotic tablets as well? More joy for you if he is... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, no - the vet said it wasn't infected so the shot should be OK. We've just to keep an eye on it but she did say to give it a wipe with salty water if it starts oozing again :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha, no - the vet said it wasn't infected so the shot should be OK. We've just to keep an eye on it but she did say to give it a wipe with salty water if it starts oozing again :)

Surely if it wasn't infected it wouldn't be an abcess, as this is a build up of pus from an infected site?:confused:

However injectable antibiotics can be long-acting and give several days cover, so tablets wouldn't be necessary :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tass wrote: »
    Surely if it wasn't infected it wouldn't be an abcess, as this is a build up of pus from an infected site?:confused:

However injectable antibiotics can be long-acting and give several days cover, so tablets wouldn't be necessary :)

Good point - hadn't thought of that! I can only assume she meant that it had stayed localised and hadn't spread further into his body :confused:

Anyway he was up at 6.30 yowling for his breakfast so it looks like he is over his sulk :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear his feeling better :)