Options

New rumours about magann in the 50th

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    The Doctor must have been played by magann in the series that also featured Davidson and Ecclestone!
    :D

And fighting those Darlecks we hear so much about.
  • Options
    SladenSladen Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    jimbo_bob wrote: »
    Nowt wrong with a bit of fanwankery :) yes, I like that idea. Mcgann was the face of the Doctor for around nine years, so I think he deserves at least a regeneration scene.

And as for Tom Baker narrating? I like the cut of your jib :)

Why thank you, I've waited years to hear that!
    McGann did a fine job at a time when one could only expect to hear criticism, so good on him! I would very much like to see him do the show.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McGann definitely will be appearing this year - there are rumours of either a mini-episode containing his regeneration into Hurt, or some scenes in the 50th anniversary special itself, or both.

Either way, he'll be involved, and I think it's a good thing. We know less about the history of the 8th Doctor than any of the other doctors - it's been more or less shrouded in mystery. And the 8th Doctor is effectively the link man between classic who and new who. It's great to see that link strengthened and give a little bit of screentime to someone who could have been a great doctor if he'd had more opportunity.

As for Tom Baker, the chances of seeing him on screen as he is now are minimal. It simply won't happen, he looks so very different to the iconic doctor that we saw in the 1970's. Just because Davison's appearance in Time Crash was explained away doesn't mean they'll use the same devise this time - and Davison looked far more like his younger self than Baker does, I'm afraid.

One thing he does have is that commanding authoritative voice, and as someone earlier suggested, having Tom Baker narrating the 50th special would be brilliant.
  • Options
    Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    McGann definitely will be appearing this year...

Says who exactly?

The same people who claim 90 episodes have been found and that Ben Daniels, no wait, Rory Kinnear, no wait, Daniel Kaluuya is the next Doctor?

Rich Johnston? His track record's hardly impressive is it?

The Radio Times? They're not associated with the BBC anymore so they don't have any special inside knowledge?
  • Options
    mdtaukmdtauk Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would love to see McGann regenerate into Hurt, and then Hurt to Ecclestone - to bridge the gap, and fill in the blanks for the fans. Moffatt would then get to direct 3 Regenerations of the Doctor which would allow him to explore interesting ways to tackle it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Says who exactly?

The same people who claim 90 episodes have been found and that Ben Daniels, no wait, Rory Kinnear, no wait, Daniel Kaluuya is the next Doctor?

Rich Johnston? His track record's hardly impressive is it?

The Radio Times? They're not associated with the BBC anymore so they don't have any special inside knowledge?

No not the same people - not tabloid journalists and bookmakers who are paid to come out with stuff, but people in the know. It's happening.
  • Options
    Drinking_GeckoDrinking_Gecko Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not the same people - not tabloid journalists and bookmakers who are paid to come out with stuff, but people in the know. It's happening.

That confirms it then ;)
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mdtauk wrote: »
    I would love to see McGann regenerate into Hurt, and then Hurt to Ecclestone - to bridge the gap, and fill in the blanks for the fans. Moffatt would then get to direct 3 Regenerations of the Doctor which would allow him to explore interesting ways to tackle it!

I think this is the role Moffat had in mind for Eccleston, a fleeting appearance right at the end of the episode. It would have been amazing if he could have done it but I guess the filming clashed. Chris is always working, only Tennant seems to work as much! :eek:
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So Bernie Ecclestone will be driving a Renault Mégane in the 50th anniversary special?:confused:
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be good if the 50th started off with mcgann as the doctor. It would only be a short scene ending with him regenerating into john hurt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh I've found the ignore button.. Handy. Anyway. I always found magann (sic) and Eccleston very similar actors (before eithers involvement. So much so that when CE was first announced I had a nervous feeling they'd be playing the same incarnation. I did like the movie.. As a pilot/first episode it was more successful than Rose.

Eccleston and McGann are nothing alike in acting styles. Nothing. And as for the 1996 movie being more successful than 'Rose' - history and sane people unfortunately beg to differ...
  • Options
    Richard_WatsonRichard_Watson Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    No not the same people - not tabloid journalists and bookmakers who are paid to come out with stuff, but people in the know.

"People in the know". And they would be who exactly? (Hint: They were the people claiming massive episode finds and declaring who'd been cast as the next Doctor)

I'm sick and tired of people making claims and then refusing to back them up with anything other then the word of the mystical "people in the know".

People In The Know: Bringing you crap like "Harriet Jones is in the Red Dalek" and so many others since 2005..
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be pretty cool if the special opened with a seriously injured 8 regenerating into John Hurt. Maybe it could be due to the Time War kicking off. Then we flash forward years later towards the end of the war, where we see John Hurt's Doctor as a tired, war torn man desperate to find a way to end it. Not sure where 10 and 11 come into this... but yeah, I like the idea.

Also, having Tom Baker narrate does sound good, but not sure if it singles him out too much. After all, if they wanted a classic doctor to narrate the episode, why would it automatically be Tom? Because he is the most recognized?
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    It would be pretty cool if the special opened with a seriously injured 8 regenerating into John Hurt. Maybe it could be due to the Time War kicking off. Then we flash forward years later towards the end of the war, where we see John Hurt's Doctor as a tired, war torn man desperate to find a way to end it. Not sure where 10 and 11 come into this... but yeah, I like the idea.

Also, having Tom Baker narrate does sound good, but not sure if it singles him out too much. After all, if they wanted a classic doctor to narrate the episode, why would it automatically be Tom? Because he is the most recognized?

maybe john hurt could regenerate into Christopher Eccleston doctor, and so the story begins
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    As long as it doesnt sound like an episode of Little Britain id like to hear Tom narrate the 50th special. Im still holding out for the voices of the classic Doctors accompanying these "paintings" Matt Smith spoke of however. Its also good to see that people are realising that Hurt is in the 50th only because Ecclestone isnt despite earlier protests.

As for the missing episode rumors if at least Marco Polo doesnt surface by the 23rd ill be very surprised. These people "in the know" in hotel bars during a convention weekend after a few pints sometimes spill stuff and im not talking about beer. I was told 3 things last month - the prices for the Celebrate50! event, that the 10th is the 10th and not the Meta Crisis 10th in the Anniversary ep and that Marco Polo had been found. Might be rubbish but the details and pricing of the tickets for the 50th event at the Excel turned out to be true, Lets see about the other two.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    The trouble with the time war is it has been talked about for so long there is so much expectation built up in the fanboys heads that nothing they could ever show on screen could live up to it.

It's like a radio show that becomes a TV show, or a book that is adapted into a movie.
    Not one fan of the original work says "Oh, yes they did a good job adapting that, they captured exactly what I imagined in my head and brought it to the big screen perfectly"

Same with the McGann regeneration. It's built up massively inside people's head that if it's ever show, it'll just be a disappointment...

Same with the 50th special itself, I suppose. There have been years of speculation about it already, and at the end of it all, just over 1 hour of television to realise all that excitement.

Even if it's the best episode in history, it'll still pale in comparison to what you're expecting ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "People in the know". And they would be who exactly? (Hint: They were the people claiming massive episode finds and declaring who'd been cast as the next Doctor)

I'm sick and tired of people making claims and then refusing to back them up with anything other then the word of the mystical "people in the know".

People In The Know: Bringing you crap like "Harriet Jones is in the Red Dalek" and so many others since 2005..

I'm not someone who constantly claims this.

In fact, I assumed I was on reasonably safe ground mentioning this one as it seems pretty well established.
  • Options
    mdtaukmdtauk Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    ARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Sorry, I made a typo without realising it. I know its ston and not stone...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Thanks kaybee but I am sane.. At least I thinks so.. I've been a fan of both Mcgann and Eccleston since their early work that predates their involvement so allow me to be my own judge and as an actor surely I'm positioned well to form my own opinions . It was also mentioned in some press the similarity when CE was cast. So while you don't agree some did. Regarding the success of the movie over rose.. Clearly by success I mean in quality not box office. Had Rose been a stand alone pilot as the movie was I would have felt very very disappointed but as a fan stuck with it. I enjoyed it less than the movie. For me it was a less successful bit of telly.. And again I'm not mad..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I've wondered if (given the moffs predilection for adapting classics) that we may get some nods to The Picture of Dorian Gray. Paintings? Certainly would be a way to explain the aged appearance of his younger selves..
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »

As the earliest surviving Doctor, that should give him seniority, gravitas and clout. Besides, his voice is awesome. :)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's easily done. I actually typed "Tenant" in a thread last week. :o
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, but the "people in the know" where right about Matt Smith leaving. (Except for the ones who said he was staying.)

I mean how could they possibly have predicted the departure of an in-demand actor who has reached the end of his three-year contract? They must be in the know.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    You're forgiven.
    :D
    My deliberately OTT reaction was only because we'd been talking about people getting actors' names wrong only a few posts earlier!
    :)