Glee S5 (UK Pace/Spolier Free)

Comments

• EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Well I have to say I didn't enjoy this weeks as much as lasts. Just seemed to lack something (and no I'm not talking about the fact Blaine was hardly in it! :p)

Songs were average, reflecting perhaps my personal taste/opinion that the earlier Beatles songs were better.

Agree, another (understandably) low key episode for me (Matt Morrison in particular just seems on autopilot so far this series).

Considering I grew up with the Beatles being here, there and everywhere, it doesn't thrill me in the slightest to hear the tired old warhorses like Hey Jude and Let it Be brought out for the umpteenth time. Far prefer the earlier optimistic stuff - George Harrison's Something and Here Comes the Sun best by far this week.

Was prepared to hate Santana and Dani, their duo charmed me .... more please.

Stoner Brett is back!

Nurse Penny isn't a patch on Nurse Terri from S1. Seemed to me this was intended as Finn's new romantic interest, felt sad (and didn't work).

The New New Quinn head cheerleader's rant was lifted from an actual email sent by a Soriety Girl by mistake which went viral earlier this year - didn't work either.

Rachel's plotline as an ingenue scoring a lead role in a Broadway Musical? Please God, no (I got bored with Smash doing just that). Still her shouting "I got fanny!" was funny (in the UK at least).
  • LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still her shouting "I got fanny!" was funny (in the UK at least).
    Insert Santana joke here. :p

~~~~

I guess I should praise them for trying a different arrangement for Sgt. Pepper, not perfect but it wasn't awful.

I didn't care for the slushie bit. Probably partly down to watching Ugly Betty the night before and they had the exact same Carrie parody.

I guess it was just a plot device to get them all to unite before Principal Sylvester unleashes her fury.
    Which reminds me.. "mooseknuckle mouth" ? :eek:
  • Soaps Addict!!Soaps Addict!! Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have to agree and say I didn't enjoy this week's ep as much as last week's ep, the premiere had everything needed in it for glee to come back for this season, the right amount and level of energy and the songs were great in the first ep, whereas it kinda felt the second ep was just not that great in my opinion it was just meh but the best thing I liked about the ep was the scenes between Santana and Demi Lovato's character Dani - she brings some fresh new energy into the show which is great plus I like the two of them together!
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glee 5.02 Tina In The Sky With Diamonds.

So, I loved last weeks Beatles Week Part One, but thought this second episode was a bit of a let down, it was still good, but never lived up to the high expectations given by last weeks premiere.

The song performances and choreography were a big part of last weeks success, and that's what seemed missing from this week, the musical numbers just didn't have as much energy or such a large scale. The songs were still good, obviously, but only really Hey Jude seemed to fit in with the same universe as last weeks.

Plotwise it was a bit of a mess, the New York stuff with Rachel getting Funny Girl and Santana and Dani was pretty good, the problems all laid with McKinley, Prom is where Glee really should come into it's own, and I know they've done two before, but this was just all too rushed, and ridiculous. That's not to say there weren't funny bits, Sue's nicknames for the Prom candidates were brilliant, and the Carrie tribute timely and amusing. (not long until the Chloe Grace version now). Sam and the Nurse was mildly entertaining, and it's good, if repetitive that Sue has hired Bree to destroy the Glee club. Or at least pretened to try to. Ros Washington is unfortunately responding to the law of diminishing returns, there was a time when everything she said was gold (or bronze, at least), but she's rarely funny so far this season. I do like the little injokes that crop up every week now, like Sue saying the kids just disappear from week to week, and how they just pluck a song at the last minute to sing at competitions. Marley might as well not be there this year so far, which is a shame, but I do like the development of Kitty, who by the way, has never looked better than she did at Prom.

So, it was still good this week, but just not as brilliant as the premiere. Tough one next week, by the looks of it .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this week's episode although the season seems to have stared slowly with Jake, Marley, Ryder and Wade doing almost nothing so far.

I hate what they've done to poor Tina's character the past few seasons. I guess her not finishing another solo (or when she does she starts crying etc) is supposed to be a long running gag but it's just annoying. Kitty however i think is a much better character as a nice person.

Santana and Dani in NYC is cute, Demi Lovato is great. I could have done without Kurt also working at the diner :rolleyes:

In a weird way i'm looking forward to next week
  • SoapAddict101SoapAddict101 Posts: 5,294
    Forum Member
    Is there a reason that Quinn hardly ever features in the show now a days? Like did Diana do something bad:eek:?

It seems like they are trying to erase her from memory and
    by looking at the description for the tribute episode next week, I don't think she even appears
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there a reason that Quinn hardly ever features in the show now a days? Like did Diana do something bad:eek:?

Diana was on the Craig Ferguson show last night.

Unfortunately she was there to talk about her latest film and she wasn't asked any questions about Glee.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It seems like they are trying to erase her from memory and
    by looking at the description for the tribute episode next week, I don't think she even appears

Dianna Agron is no longer contracted to Glee (her choice I believe due to her film career) so her appearances over the past two seasons have been limited (just three for S4 from memory).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This may sound harsh, but I don't really miss Quinn. Maybe its because Kitty is some sort of Quinn facsimile.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    smfan123 wrote: »
    I enjoyed this week's episode although the season seems to have stared slowly with Jake, Marley, Ryder and Wade doing almost nothing so far.

I hate what they've done to poor Tina's character the past few seasons. I guess her not finishing another solo (or when she does she starts crying etc) is supposed to be a long running gag but it's just annoying.

I went off Tina last series, but I'm finding her almost unbearable this time. Perhaps I'm just not getting something. Marley, in contrast to how much she was featured in the last series, is like background wallpaper so far!

ETA: Another fan of the "I got fanny!" line :D
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went off Tina last series, but I'm finding her almost unbearable this time. Perhaps I'm just not getting something. Marley, in contrast to how much she was featured in the last series, is like background wallpaper so far!

ETA: Another fan of the "I got fanny!" line :D

Same with me, I don't like Tina at all and I know to a point she's written like that but she's very much Marmite
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Same with me, I don't like Tina at all and I know to a point she's written like that but she's very much Marmite

I blame the writers. Tina is a great character and it is a real shame they have wasted her on cheap in jokes and as filler.

She is an original ND member and deserves as much respect as the rest of them, but then off course she isn't Rachel Berry, and this is the 'Rachel Berry Show'. :(

Tina (or rather the actress) may not be the best singer or dancer but she puts her heart into it.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I blame the writers. Tina is a great character and it is a real shame they have wasted her on cheap in jokes and as filler.

She is an original ND member and deserves as much respect as the rest of them, but then off course she isn't Rachel Berry, and this is the 'Rachel Berry Show'. :(

Tina (or rather the actress) may not be the best singer or dancer but she puts her heart into it.

I have nothing against the actress, in fact I quite like her, and I liked the character of Tina up until Mike Chang left... so I have to deduce that its the way the character's been written and changed since then that isn't working for me.
  • BMLisaBMLisa Posts: 15,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just caught up with this series.

I like Kitty as a nice girl too. I think Bree is fantastic and far more hilariously evil than Kitty.

Both good additions. I agree Tina is definitely different and not as likeable which I think is a shame.

I'm not bothered about Marley either at the mo and wasn't last season either.

I'm really missing Brittany though. She's my fave.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i recorded the quarterback i am 1 minute in and already feel emotional :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Yeah it didn't take me long to get upset either. I think it was made all the much harder knowing it had some basis in reality, combined with very real and true emotions, that were very clearly visible from the very start.

Try as you might, it was difficult to separate the two. On one hand it kept the shows continuity going, but on the other hand continuity was immaterial.

I have to say it was tastefully done, and I was surprised in a way that they put in a little bit of humour, just to perhaps help, if for only a moment or two.

How the cast and crew managed to record that. It must have been so tough, so hats off to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    I lasted about 5 minutes before the tears started!

It was heartbreaking yet kind of beautiful!

It was hard knowing that it was real emotion - it just made it all the more sad!

There was the odd humour moment!! Which I did appreciate!

All in all a very tasteful episode!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    ^Yeah it didn't take me long to get upset either. I think it was made all the much harder knowing it had some basis in reality, combined with very real and true emotions, that were very clearly visible from the very start.

Try as you might, it was difficult to separate the two. On one hand it kept the shows continuity going, but on the other hand continuity was immaterial.

I have to say it was tastefully done, and I was surprised in a way that they put in a little bit of humour, just to perhaps help, if for only a moment or two.

How the cast and crew managed to record that. It must have been so tough, so hats off to them.

Most of what you saw was one take, that is how tough it was for them. But I think it worked, because you could the emotions were real, not acted.

I thought it was a beautiful and fitting tribute to him. I think it was right to ignore why he died and to continue it from a few weeks on. I do love the subtle lines in reference to what happened, feel like it was them sticking fingers up to the haters.

I was in tears from the scene with Carole. Generally any scene with them expressing how they were feeling, I was crying. And Lea's part was definitely powerful, I could barely see through the tears.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought it was a nice touch by sky and virgin to tone down the adbreaks
  • Steph_CuckowSteph_Cuckow Posts: 539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cried one minute in but then i am a wreck at the moment with pregnancy hormones plus Cory sadly died 2 weeks after my uncle so was always gonna be emotional.
    That said it was so beautiful. I am glad if its true they only done one take and it was all real and not acted you could tell it was very real emotion.
    It was in no way perfect but i prefered it too other episodes to be honest. I really dont know how they all managed to get through it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of what you saw was one take, that is how tough it was for them. But I think it worked, because you could the emotions were real, not acted.
    I'm not surprised, you could see it was such a struggle for them. It must have been so hard for them to effectively go through that process twice.
    I thought it was a beautiful and fitting tribute to him. I think it was right to ignore why he died and to continue it from a few weeks on.
    Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I'd missed some exposition.

I agree, it was the right decision to just omit that part of the plot. I don't think there was any way they could really tackle it without seeming disrespectful.
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Thought it was a nice touch by sky and virgin to tone down the adbreaks
    I agree. I don't think they could have done it any other way.

And thankfully Sky ditched its "up next" in-programme ad, which always brings you out of the show at the most light hearted of moments let alone an episode like this.
  • Mr.LavigneMr.Lavigne Posts: 922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    5.03 The Quarterback.

Not much to say about this touching episode, except I am glad that they incorporated some traditional humerous moments, the songs were all very poignant, and I found Santana attacking Sue, her conversation with Kurt, Schu sobbing at the end, and Rachel's performance to be some of the most brilliant performances in the show.
  • CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cried one minute in but then i am a wreck at the moment with pregnancy hormones plus Cory sadly died 2 weeks after my uncle so was always gonna be emotional.
    That said it was so beautiful. I am glad if its true they only done one take and it was all real and not acted you could tell it was very real emotion.
    It was in no way perfect but i prefered it too other episodes to be honest. I really dont know how they all managed to get through it.

They filmed more than one take, they have to do for the different angles and reaction shots, however what appeared on screen was usually the first take for each of those different shots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonderful episode, incredibly powerful with a slight touch of humour in just the right places.

All of the cast were exceptional, Naya Rivera... just wow!! :(
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Managed to hold out right until the end before :cry:

Very touching episode a fitting tribute.