Trivial things that annoy you intensely. (Part 3)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    When you accidentally wet your sleeve cuffs when you put the tap on..happened to me before and all wet sleeve :(..it then drips all down or up your arm :(
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Americans who say 'erbs instead of herbs.

Why the silent H !!??? It just sounds so wrong. I cringe every time I hear it.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »

I tend to hear it as Urbs
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One for the comic collectors - that I spent silly money on a big bunch of bag 'n boards to help file my old collection properly instead of simply double-bagging all those single bagged NewDC ones and getting my hand on a stack of bags 'n boards for zero dollars. Dammit. Those removal men are gonna take one look at all these boxes and something inside of them will die. :(
  • EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact that Slade and Shakin' Stevens have Christmas songs that are almost identically titled, and having to sing Slade's song in my head to remember which one's which.
  • The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sitting in a pub listening to a table of students talking very loudly about utter pseudo intellectual shite. Why do they have to sit there trying to sound so intelligent whilst discussing some idiotic topic at the top of their voices like some kind of university lecturer whilst donning their best middle class twang pretending to be so intelligent and cultured yet at the same time discussing the most inane topics while all their friends sit there laughing at everything they say like it's the most hilarious and witty thing they've ever heard. Look at me guys I've got no common sense and can't even boil and egg but can successfully debate the dynamics of making the perfect slice of toast.

You can spot one an absolute mile off by their loud Oxbridge accents and their ability to act like utter cocks whilst talking such utter pseudo intellectual bollocks.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They think they're being terribly sophisticated and French-sounding. Also the way they say fill-ay when they mean fill-ett (fillet). :D
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To say nothing about aluminium pronounced aloominum :confused:
    And Aussies (and some UK people) who talk in a sing song way with every sentence finishing on a high note :(
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To say nothing about aluminium pronounced aloominum :confused:
    And Aussies (and some UK people) who talk in a sing song way with every sentence finishing on a high note :(

And it's spreading fast. It seemed to start with students and Neighbours viewers, but middle-aged people who never used it before are now doing it, so it's something they have decided to adopt. It's even turning up among TV presenters now.
  • nowahallanowahalla Posts: 10,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Renewing a UK passport when you live overseas. Ten years ago it took 48hours at the local embassy. Now they tell me approx 8weeks. Pfffft. And you cannot travel, and it's a legal requirement here to carry your passport with you, argh. And you have to make an appointment for interview. For a simple renewal.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sound of an empty can blowing about the street in the wind... Tempted to go out and throw it in the bin!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Years ago I worked in shops and instead of putting coins into your hand people would count out coins onto the counter one by one laboriously and then look satisfied as you had to pick them up- as if they had done you a favour because you could see that they hadn't paid a penny short. Took forever to pick them up. Hurrah for debit cards.
  • SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When filling up at a petrol station and you're aiming to stop on the nearest pound. You stop a couple of pence short then try to give the trigger a slight squeeze but it goes over by a penny or two.
  • cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    The sound of an empty can blowing about the street in the wind... Tempted to go out and throw it in the bin!

That reminds me: people who leave their empty cans or bottles behind to roll about on the bus floor! I always stamp on them if I can, and will take them off the bus with me and put them in the bin if I can grab them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    People who say they will be "there in 10 minutes" and yet take over 20 minutes or longer. And they honestly don't believe they took longer then what they said. Gah!

Also watching the first season of Lilyhammer online with English subtitles and not being able to find the second season with subtitles. I'll have to survive on my limited Norwegian..
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i_l_yx wrote: »
    Also watching the first season of Lilyhammer online with English subtitles and not being able to find the second season with subtitles. I'll have to survive on my limited Norwegian..
    You've found s2 without subtitles, right ?!
    Is "downloading the eps and googling s2 subtitle tracks" not an option ?
  • alycidonalycidon Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When filling up at a petrol station and you're aiming to stop on the nearest pound. You stop a couple of pence short then try to give the trigger a slight squeeze but it goes over by a penny or two.

Yes. I have that problem too, and invariably go over the round pound by one or two pence. It's because petrol is so expensive now - it was easy to do in the good old days!>:(
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Favourite chair on it's last legs.

A nice executive computer chair but the stem has snapped and i'm stilling at like a 45 or more degree angle. It's hurting my back and my stomach with the way i'm sitting/posture.

Not going to be cheap to replace it :(
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know. Why do they do it just with this word? They don't say 'ouse for house or 'orse for horse for example.
  • silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    The Wizard wrote: »
    Sitting in a pub listening to a table of students talking very loudly about utter pseudo intellectual shite. Why do they have to sit there trying to sound so intelligent whilst discussing some idiotic topic at the top of their voices like some kind of university lecturer whilst donning their best middle class twang pretending to be so intelligent and cultured yet at the same time discussing the most inane topics while all their friends sit there laughing at everything they say like it's the most hilarious and witty thing they've ever heard. Look at me guys I've got no common sense and can't even boil and egg but can successfully debate the dynamics of making the perfect slice of toast.

You can spot one an absolute mile off by their loud Oxbridge accents and their ability to act like utter cocks whilst talking such utter pseudo intellectual bollocks.

So well put!:D

A short while ago I had the not so envious task of trying to sell raffle tickets to some of these types. The only answer I ever got was a slight shake of the head and "I'm good". No, you're not, you're rude.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Trying to find a pair of black work trousers is nearly impossible for me. The whole of my body is a small frame yet my hips are really wide. I hate it so much I can't even articulate how much I hate it. No matter how much weight I lose my butt/hip area are still prominent I wouldn't mind those high waist black trousers but I cannot get trousers (in my normal size) to sit on my hips.

It makes me feel hideous and like a hippo or something. And it makes no sense cus people tell me I'm lanky and that I sort of fade into the background cus there's not much of me.

It pisses me off this trend of 'celebs with big arses' cus its supposedly all sexy/glamorous - yes it is for the stars as they have a design team who can make/fit dresses/trousers perfect for their shape. Ordinary people like myself don't have that which makes clothes shopping a nightmare.
    /rant
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Advertisement - People who say 'adverTIZEment' instead of 'adverTISSment'.
  • seventhwaveseventhwave Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People on TV forums who post only to advertise their stupid blog or website e.g. "Wasn't this a great episode of Downton Abbey! Check out my thoughts over on my blog (link here) ..."

When people in my office say they want "proper coffee" to mean filtered coffee. Instant coffee may come in granules but it's still coffee? It makes me think of when I was at school and learned that during WWII, rations included coffee substitute made from ground hazelnut because actual coffee wasn't available. That's something that wouldn't be "proper" coffee, but Nescafe is - like it or not!
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Selfies.

Not just the ridiculous name, obsession and vanity, but the method.

Timers have been on cameras for decades but now people have regressed to holding phones out at arms length or, worse, taking a picture in the mirror - so we have a picture of you holding a phone and, sometimes, for some reason, the person is looking at the screen on the phone in the picture :confused:

Like this
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The stupid childish baby voice announcement they play on the tannoy on the Northern Rail stations (Sheffield to Lincoln line). I hate it :blush:
This discussion has been closed.