Options

Advice PLEASE about suicidal friend!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Please can you offer some advice if you can.

My friend refused to join his family for Christmas dinner today and stayed at home all by himself. He has taken 14 Ibruprofen and drank a bottle and a half of Buckfast.

My partner is there right now with him and he is refusing to go to the hospital or do anything like that. Does anybody know if he will be ok after taking those tablets? I don't know how many you need to take for it to affect your system. Should we force him to go to the hospital or should we let him stay at home and just keep an eye on him?

Any advice would be welcome but most particularly from those with previous experience or knowledge of suicide attempts :(

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone? :(
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this is for real, why don't you phone an ambulance asap and let them deal with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right, thanks for that.
  • Options
    jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    ''14 Ibruprofen and drank a bottle and a half of Buckfast''

Won't do much but really you should phone someone asap in case he/she finds a real way to kill themselves.

It sounds like he/she wants attention rather than to kill themselves. When I was in your friends prostitution all I wanted is people to understand how I felt and could not explain the way I was feeling..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »

Won't do much but really you should phone someone asap in case he/she finds a real way to kill themselves.

It sounds like he/she wants attention rather than to kill themselves. When I was in your friends prostitution all I wanted is people to understand how I felt and could express myself.

That is what I'm thinking.

I'm trying desperately to get him to go to hospital but I am receiving pressure from everybody involved. They all say he seems fine, he didnt take that much, I'm over reacting, and he'll fine as long as we keep an eye on him. But I'm worried.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sleepydove wrote: »
    That is what I'm thinking.

I'm trying desperately to get him to go to hospital but I am receiving pressure from everybody involved. They all say he seems fine, he didnt take that much, I'm over reacting, and he'll fine as long as we keep an eye on him. But I'm worried.

It sounds like the people around him just can't understand how he is feeling. It all depends on how responsible you feel about your friend. The people that should make this decision is his family. As ringing ambulance will start of a lot of things.
  • Options
    russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try NHS Direct. If you have doubts they can put our mind at ease or get an ambulance on its way. Hope all works out OK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done some Googling and I've just spoken to my partner who says that our friend is pretty drowsy so I'm heading straight out to pick them up and insist we go to the hospital. So no need to reply to this thread any further.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you russellelly and jjesso123.

I'm going to head out now and insist we go to hospital because the way I see it, it's too much of a risk NOT to go. I'd rather go and have peace of mind. Thank you both for your responses.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Phone an ambulance if it's an emergency
    or
    NHS Direct for advice if it's not and you just need help on what to do.

Recommend he talks to the Samaritans or see his GP for help.

Some info here
    http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Suicide/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    take him to the hospital. leave him there. 14 ibuprofen is nothing and he's ruined your christmas with his selfish attention seeking.

And I say that as a depressive who has attempted suicide myself in the past. the last thing i would have done is told friends or family about it.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjesso123 wrote: »

It sounds like he/she wants attention rather than to kill themselves. When I was in your friends prostitution all I wanted is people to understand how I felt and could not explain the way I was feeling..

:eek: I assume you meant position rather than prostitution? I agree with the other posters it is a cry for help. I would take him or her along to the hospital just incase and get them to talk with someone. I have taken a couple of overdoses myself and I had to drink liquid charcoal to flush the tablets out of my system. Just drinking that is enough to put me off that again!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    :eek: I assume you meant position rather than prostitution? I agree with the other posters it is a cry for help. I would take him or her along to the hospital just incase and get them to talk with someone. I have taken a couple of overdoses myself and I had to drink liquid charcoal to flush the tablets out of my system. Just drinking that is enough to put me off that again!

Yes thats my stupid spell check add on for you. I do agree on your comment completely and hope everything is sorted out.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sleepydove wrote: »
    Right, thanks for that.

Why are you taking that tone ?

That was a sensible piece of advise. Call an ambulance if you are that worried.

There is more information about ibruphen here,

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Howweregulate/Medicines/Licensingofmedicines/Informationforlicenceapplicants/Guidance/OverdosesectionsofSPCs/Genericoverdosesections/Ibuprofen/index.htm
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    c4rv wrote: »

I do wonder if people still have common sense these days. If you're worried about anyone who you know has tried to kill themselves, call bloody 999 first!!!!!:mad:
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    sleepydove, you're probably at the hospital now but I'll say it anyway...I hope your friend gets all the help he/she needs.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    take him to the hospital. leave him there. 14 ibuprofen is nothing and he's ruined your christmas with his selfish attention seeking.

And I say that as a depressive who has attempted suicide myself in the past. the last thing i would have done is told friends or family about it.

Not sure how you can you just write this off like that? This person has taken 14 pills at once. Even if it's not enough to kill someone, it's still an attempted overdose. They need help. I can't see how someone on a forum can decide it's just attention seeking and they should be left to it. That sounds like very reckless advice to me. Yes I appreciate you've been there but that doesn't mean your situation is the same as someone elses.
  • Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angiebroch wrote: »
    I do wonder if people still have common sense these days.

I wouldn't count on it.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    angiebroch wrote: »

I do wonder if people still have common sense these days. If you're worried about anyone who you know has tried to kill themselves, call bloody 999 first!!!!!:mad:

I know, it's bizarre how anyone can ask for advice on an internet forum when a friend's life is possibly in danger.
    Oh well, we did our best.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There is more information about ibruphen here,

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Howweregulate/Medicines/Licensingofmedicines/Informationforlicenceapplicants/Guidance/OverdosesectionsofSPCs/Genericoverdosesections/Ibuprofen/index.htm

It amuses me when people read tone in so little. I actually took the "thanks" at face value :p
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    definitely a time to rely on experts rather than anonymous strangers on the internet.

Call an ambulance, get them help. Let the professionals deal with it.

Sorry your Christmas isn't going well.
  • Options
    amstereofanamstereofan Posts: 1,765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ever happened to this guy ?? Is he ok now ??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What ever happened to this guy ?? Is he ok now ??

The OP hasn't been here since 28/12.
  • Options
    MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    Only just seen this thread now.....I know its a bit late now...

Was in a similar situation a few months ago. A friend who was staying with me did this in my flat when I was falling asleep.

He took about 20 ibuprofen and a load of drink and was ready to take more when I found him. Hed also been cutting himself and had taken ecstacy a couple of hours before.

Took him to hopsital in a taxi and was waiting 2 hours before he was seen, a further 2 hours before they took blood.

All in all we waited 18 hours for the results of the blood tests before he wanted to leave. Left without getting the all clear. The hospital called the police.

He's fine (psysically) but stuff like that can cause organ damage which you might not be able to tell for a while.

It was one of the worst situations ive ever been in.

I hope your friend is ok....inbox me if you need someone to speak to about it.