emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    Oklahoma! (1955) - 7/10
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    R.I.P.D.

Abysmal film. Ryan Reynolds is a charisma-free zone playing a cop who gets killed and in the after-life joins Heaven's police force, who are sent back to earth to round up those who died and escaped Hell. I'm a fan of Jeff Bridges but he was embarrassing here, hammimg it up to the max playing a 19th century lawman. He basically just turned up as Rooster Cogburn but with exagerated mannerisms. The SFX were ropey, the "undead" looked like something from a bad 90s cartoon and it just didn't know what it wanted to be.

1/10
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despicable Me 1 & 2

Terrific films (the 2nd one is the best of the two). They're funny, interesting, fantastic colors and visuals. Well worth watching.

Cowboys & Aliens

Dull alien invasion flick. The concept is great: Old American West, Cowboys, Indians and aliens. The final result is not so great. Daniel Craig is a very dull lead actor. Harrison Ford fares no better but at least his performance is slightly more energetic than Craig's. The climactic battle is painfully boring to watch. How do you screw this up?
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    August: Osage County _- Ties with Blue Jasmine as my favorite seen so far of the awards contenders. Probably a bit old fashioned being a filmed play but i loved it. 9/10

Her - Internet wierdos everywhere this ones for you, everyone else, this is one queue at your local multiplex to avoid. I knew it wasnt my kind of film when the "hero" couldnt sleep at night, i would get a book and have a read, he got on his mobile-internet-futuristic headset to talk sex talk with the female of the species. Very creepy/10
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    American Beauty - 10/10
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Inside Man 5.5/10
  • Options
    JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her (2013) 8.5/10
  • Options
    MissySmithMissySmith Posts: 492
    Forum Member
    The Wolf Of Wall Street 9/10

A bit long,and hectic,but the 'Lemmons' scene is hilarious.
    Makes me want to read the book it's based on.
  • Options
    finklyfinkly Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic Magic (2013) - Quite refreshing horror, very Polanski-esque in places and Juno Temple is great in the lead. Weird ending. 7/10

Incident at Loch Ness (2004) - Werner Herzog is always fun to watch and it's really funny in parts but it kinda loses steam as it goes along. 6/10
  • Options
    Sweet FASweet FA Posts: 10,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Butler - 7/10
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Riddick: Unrated DC

The 3rd film in the series and it was surprisingly disappointing. I really enjoyed PITCH BLACK and CHRONCILES OF RIDDICK. But this film felt like a step backward - almost a retelling of PITCH BLACK in a way. It added nothing new to the RIDDICK mythology. I expected A LOT more than what this film delivered.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The simpsons movie
    Much better on a second viewing.
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Audition . Seriously ****ed up but I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Young Detective Dee and the Rise of the Sea Dragon - 5/10

Good fun, but I prefer the first film (Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame) and this prequel is more of a wu xia fantasy film than a true prequel to that film, which was disappointing as I'm not keen on wu xia fantasy films as a whole. It does have some light-hearted funny moments and great moments of Dee's Sherlockian deduction skills, though. Edit: Not suitable for children, though! Some killings are surprisingly graphic.

It's available at Yesasia.com if anyone wants to see it. Or wait for the US DVD release next month. Worth getting if you enjoy wu xia fantasy films.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RUSH - 10/10

superb throughout, detailed realisation just makes you totally believe you're in that time, and brilliant performances make this one of the best movies of last year ..... and being a huge formula one fan makes this even better!

just excellent!
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wolf of Wall Street - Goodfellasisation of banking, nobody gets whacked although in the case of Jonah Pesci i probably would have wacked him ( in saying that, he was with the rest of the cast pretty good ). Wacking was replaced by lots of sex and drugs ( and rock and roll ). There are two films in this being almost three hrs, pity they didn't just make one great one rather than two middling ones. I have no idea why this is regarded as a film of the year, i have seen better this week. It was entertaining so 6/10

De Caprios wife was very nice looking and i certainly understand why he wanted to get to grips with her, oddly enough i think she could be a very good actress, Margot Robbie.
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melancholia - Wow, what a cheery film. The one thing I realised watching Melancholia was how much of a brilliant companion piece this would be to Terrence Malick's The Tree of Life. It's like its evil twin sister, both films have polar opposite outlooks on life. I loved it and it's probably the most accurate depiction of sever depression I've seen in a film. My only problem is at the beginning where it's a struggle to empathise with such elite group of people. Brilliant film.

8/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Dirty Wars - Documentary, written & presented by Jeremy Scahill. Excellent, pulls no punches about the USA organising covert missions into countries where they really had no business. You won't just accept what the White House tells you after seeing this!
    9/10.
  • Options
    JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Of Our Aircraft Is Missing (1942) 8/10
    Tout Va Bien (1972) 4/10
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Changeling - 8/10

Completely different to what I thought it was going to be like (for some reason I assumed it was a horror??). Very sad to think it was mostly a true story. Can't believe what that poor woman went through.
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frozen - 10/10, of course! I thought it was a nice detour from the stereotypical Disney princess movies.
    no real central villain, for example

and it has some amazing songs! AND IDINA MENZEL!
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Tron 2 - 8\10
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    The Iron Lady.

Film is so so but Meryl Streep is outstanding in her portrayal of Margaret Thatcher.

6/10
  • Options
    omipaloneomipalone Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dallas Buyers Club - 9/10

Took me ages to recognise Jared Leto
  • Options
    ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blue Jasmine - 7/10

Cate Blanchett was amazing as Jasmine, can see why she's winning all the awards.
This discussion has been closed.